Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 02:13 AM

17 posts, read 19,882 times

Advertisements

I am a 35 yr old single male. I am looking for a sparsely populated area with an easy commute to downtown Jersey City / NYC.
Of course, I need easy parking, safety against floods and crime.

Am looking at the following places:
- Ridgewood (seems too procey)
- Maywood
- Cedar Grove
- Verona
- Clark
- Cranford
- Westfield
- The Caldwells

I looked at Scotch Plains and Little Falls - but both are highly prone to flooding.

What's the ideal rent for a 1 Bed apartment? About $1.2k? (I earn about 120k) Should I look for some decent Garden Apartments or a unit in a house?
What's the possibility of rent negotiation with an apartment management?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 05:31 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
None of those areas are sparsely populated , and you won't find a rural area with a quick commute to NYC.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:59 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
None of those areas are sparsely populated , and you won't find a rural area with a quick commute to NYC.
Unless you have a time machine.

Seriously, OP, please give us some info based on the sticky at the top of the page and then we'll come up with some realistic suggestions. NJ is the most densely populated state in the nation, as you surely know. Over a quarter million people commute from NJ to the city every day, so "easy commute" is a relative term. Your budget sounds reasonable for SOME areas, not others.

And after you look at the sticky, also read THIS thread. I think we need a new sticky.... ;)

Old 11-25-2013, 07:28 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,771,264 times
You make 120k but want to haggle with an apartment complex about $1200 in rent?

Old 11-25-2013, 09:40 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
Yeah when I think sparsely populated parts of NJ I think of places like West Milford, upper Rockaway Township, etc. Some of these are doable to NYC but like 1 1/2 hours each way at least.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:33 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
You make 120k but want to haggle with an apartment complex about $1200 in rent?
It's 40K after alimony.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:44 AM

Thanks All!
Sparse Population - relatively. I don't want it as dense as Jersey City, Hoboken, West New York etc.
I am not haggling on $1200, I am trying to bring down the quoted rent to that much. If I am being awfully frugal, what is the right rent in your opinion?
Negotiation works at most places as I have heard, at least at this time of the year. Most managements post bloated rents on their websites and then have agents call prospective tenants if they have long due vacancies. Sometimes, realtors hike monthly rent to make a few more $ on the fees.

Easy Commute to Hob / JC - There are express trains that take less than 45 mins from Princeton / Areas in Far North NJ to Newark /Hob. I am fine with those.

Also, I am unable to find reviews for most Garden Apartments. Looks like they all get plenty of complaints in a matter of 3-4 years.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:53 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
If you want Sparsley populated areas nearby NYC, your best bet is Wayne, NJ. Perhaps a 1 hour commute time by car. No public transit is available from there though, and I hear the train ride takes 2:30 hours. Not worth your time to take the train. Drive instead.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:13 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvtj View Post
Thanks All!
Sparse Population - relatively. I don't want it as dense as Jersey City, Hoboken, West New York etc.
I am not haggling on $1200, I am trying to bring down the quoted rent to that much. If I am being awfully frugal, what is the right rent in your opinion?
Negotiation works at most places as I have heard, at least at this time of the year. Most managements post bloated rents on their websites and then have agents call prospective tenants if they have long due vacancies. Sometimes, realtors hike monthly rent to make a few more $ on the fees.

Easy Commute to Hob / JC - There are express trains that take less than 45 mins from Princeton / Areas in Far North NJ to Newark /Hob. I am fine with those.

Also, I am unable to find reviews for most Garden Apartments. Looks like they all get plenty of complaints in a matter of 3-4 years.
Sounds like you're looking more for a town. There's a difference between Jersey City and say Westfield, then there's a difference between both of those and a sparsely populated place in New Jersey. I can't even name one of those within a good distance to NYC t be honest. Pull up a train map on NJ Transit's website and look along the Raritan Valley, Northeast Corridor, or even North Jersey Coast lines. They'll bring you either direct train access to NYC or a switch in Newark to go to Penn Station. They could even bring you to the PATH, depending. This should narrow your search. If you're not looking for a train, and want to drive, any town in Bergen, Hudson, Union, even Morris and Middlesex is fair game, in my opinion. It just depends on how long your commute can be max.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:40 PM

Thanks again.

Which of the following has the smoothest / worst traffic at peak hours?

I-95 S (from Bergenfield to JC)
I-95 N (from Woodbridge to JC)

I-78 E (Berkeley Heights)

I-280 (from Roseland / South Verona)

NJ-3 and 17 (From a host of places like Little Falls, Cedar Grove, Clifton etc. guess it is the most congested.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey