Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2013, 08:21 AM

35 posts, read 85,750 times

Advertisements

I have a fireplace that is pretty drafty and the brick exposed wall doesn't insulate the room from the cold. The baseboard heating can't really heat the room to 70 on day when it's below 30 degrees during the day. The fireplace is downstairs in a split level home.

What are the pros and cons of fireplace insert? As I understand, a good insert can't heat a home pretty well but how easy and safe would it be? would I be able to close it and leave it for the night so it would burn out?

If I'm in and out of the house, is it worth starting it up? I have gas baseboard heating currently installed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 08:32 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
You need to close the damper on the fireplace.

On to something else. If your heating system can't maintain a 70 degree setting when it's relatively warm outside (your 30 degree number) then you have some major issues with insulation and window leakage or even furnace efficiency. Look to those first.

Most fireplace people will say that an insert is more efficient for heating than an open fireplace and yes, you can close it and leave.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:36 AM

damper is closed, i haven't used the fireplace for a few years. there are two tiny windows which seem ok. the exposed brick wall seems to be a poor insulator

Old 12-01-2013, 09:09 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Is the heating system sized correctly for the house?

Is it just the room with the fireplace or the whole house which can't maintain the temperature?

If just the room how much run of radiator is there and on what wall is it located? Too short a length of run and there's not enough radiant heat coming from the piping. It should be placed on an outside wall, preferably one with windows.

It also may be at the end of the piping run and has lost a fair amount of heat when it gets to the room.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:06 AM

I can't speak of about sizing but the rest of the house heats pretty well, no complaints. There are radiator pipes are running across two outside sides of the room. The heating boiler is 5 feet away, practically the same room. I'm thinking an fireplace insert will heat a fair amount of the house since it's placed at the lowest point.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:17 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,663,583 times
Inserts ( quality ones) work great although they need a power supply for the blower. I had one in my former house. They can and do throw a lot of heat.

Two issues to think about. Your chimney must be in good shape and cleaned. Inserts burn at a low rate so they build up creosote quickly. Cleaning of the chimney and insert is a MUST. A flue fire will destroy your house quicker than any fire dept. can respond.

Then you have to have a wood supply. Unless you can cut and split it yourself, you're going to pay quite a bit in NJ for a cords of seasoned wood. Then there is the cleaning every day or every other day.

A top quality insert can easily run a few thousand plus installation. You might be better off taking a look at your heating system, insulation and windows and put the money in that area. Heating upgrades can make you eligible for a tax break.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:02 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
I had one, bought it with a blower fan at the bottom, its was GREAT!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey