Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 09:12 AM

6 posts, read 5,624 times

Advertisements

My teen daughter wants to go to a poetry cafe for her birthday. Does anyone know any in NJ? Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 08:43 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times
Perhaps this site may help.
New Jersey- Poets.org - Poetry, Poems, Bios & More

Old 04-25-2018, 08:12 PM

765 posts, read 473,811 times
Well: April happens to be National Poetry Month, so there should be no shortage of poetry events all over the state. I know you just missed the ones over at Passaic Community College, but other community colleges still might have things going on.... Also don't neglect the town of Rutherford, home to one of America's greatest poets, William Carlos Williams, they always had poetry readings and a poetry group that met i think once a week..... Look up Poetry on that Meetup.com website, you'll find all kinds of poetry groups there.

One of the greatest NJ poets, and one whose entire life has been dedicated to poetry, Maria Mazziotti Gillan, is the head of the Poetry Center at Patterson Community College. Contacting her would be my first step. Plus they used to publish a monthly poetry calendar with what poetry readings were going on all over the state. I sincerely think Maria would help you out, she was such a vibrant, wonderful friend..... AND google Passaic Community College Poetry Calendar

you don't say what part of NJ you are from, but having recently left my beloved Joisey, I am mostly conversant with Northern New Jersey poetry. There are venues EVERYWHERE.... used to be poetry nights at every Barnes and Nobles and Borders, you might be surprised that there is a poetry night right at a local library.

I've been gone for 8 years now, so things do change, Borders shut down, but the group that used to sponsor those readers i bet is still alive, in some church basement or community center.

Laura Boss is another mover and shaker in NJ poetry i knew.... google her, see if she still hosts poetry nights in the Bergen/Passaic area

But do try Maria first....
Maria Mazziotti Gillan, Executive Director 973-684-6555 mgillan@pccc.edu

Old 04-27-2018, 09:03 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post
Well: April happens to be National Poetry Month, so there should be no shortage of poetry events all over the state. I know you just missed the ones over at Passaic Community College, but other community colleges still might have things going on.... Also don't neglect the town of Rutherford, home to one of America's greatest poets, William Carlos Williams, they always had poetry readings and a poetry group that met i think once a week..... Look up Poetry on that Meetup.com website, you'll find all kinds of poetry groups there.

One of the greatest NJ poets, and one whose entire life has been dedicated to poetry, Maria Mazziotti Gillan, is the head of the Poetry Center at Patterson Community College. Contacting her would be my first step. Plus they used to publish a monthly poetry calendar with what poetry readings were going on all over the state. I sincerely think Maria would help you out, she was such a vibrant, wonderful friend..... AND google Passaic Community College Poetry Calendar

you don't say what part of NJ you are from, but having recently left my beloved Joisey, I am mostly conversant with Northern New Jersey poetry. There are venues EVERYWHERE.... used to be poetry nights at every Barnes and Nobles and Borders, you might be surprised that there is a poetry night right at a local library.

I've been gone for 8 years now, so things do change, Borders shut down, but the group that used to sponsor those readers i bet is still alive, in some church basement or community center.

Laura Boss is another mover and shaker in NJ poetry i knew.... google her, see if she still hosts poetry nights in the Bergen/Passaic area

But do try Maria first....
Maria Mazziotti Gillan, Executive Director 973-684-6555 mgillan@pccc.edu
Four birthdays later, I think she figured it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey