Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 08:56 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,413,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Absolutely. There is that cool Doin Dishes shop right on Church where kids can make their own pottery.
I've been meaning to go there when my son gets to a good age to go! I was actually going to take my college-aged cousin there because she's into that stuff.

Another poster is right though...there are a lot of vacant storefronts still.

Oh, and i forgot about Fleet Feet up the road a bit...my favorite running store. They are super helpful there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 02:46 PM

478 posts, read 1,230,783 times
Brady, try pinot palette with your cousin. BYO painting classes. As fun as it sounds.

Montclair is a pretty vibrant place as far the people are concerned. It's diverse and not just in the sense of race. There are ex-pats (lots of English), bankers, media people, lawyers, artists, writers, athletes (pro ad weekend), super rich and very poor, yuppies, young families, empty nesters. Everyone brings something to the community and you will find your niche and community here. I grew up here so I am biased, but my wife is from Westchester and we lived many years on the Upper West, and have settled here very happily. The housing stock is diverse and there are some requisite old house woes. The market for your "typical" 5BR colonial in the 550k-800k range is tight and bidding wars are again the norm. I encourage you to give it another try. I'd be happy to show you around. My family has been selling homes here since 1922 when it was largely new construction!

Old 03-15-2014, 07:11 PM

12 posts, read 17,066 times
spoonman finds poor people annoying. Wow! I find rich people annoying.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:06 PM

166 posts, read 326,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oharris30 View Post
I didn't say poor people are annoying. I said the town has too many poor people and that made it annoying. It's the town's liberal nature. I think it could turn the dial down some. The Pine Street, Elm Street and large number of affordable housing units all around bay street and the lower part of bloomfield avenue is annoying. It holds back the downtown's potential.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:15 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,749,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman109 View Post
I didn't say poor people are annoying. I said the town has too many poor people and that made it annoying. It's the town's liberal nature. I think it could turn the dial down some. The Pine Street, Elm Street and large number of affordable housing units all around bay street and the lower part of bloomfield avenue is annoying. It holds back the downtown's potential.
So basically you find poor people annoying.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:45 AM

18,478 posts, read 15,266,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oharris30 View Post
Then, you two are more alike than you think.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:19 PM

18 posts, read 28,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhAve View Post
Did we miss something? We went by ourselves, not with any realtor so maybe we missed the good areas?(We are thinking about visiting Westfield next, hope that will be a better visit)
Judging by the grammar on display in your subject line, you're probably not a good fit for Montclair. To answer your question, yes. You missed a great deal. Montclair is a rather large town, and every ward has its depository of architectural greatness, charm, class and character. From Prospect Ave to Llewellyn and Eagle Rock to Undercliff and Lloyd to Midland Ave and Erwin Park to South Mountain and Watchung to Norwood to Christopher St and McDonough, and let's not forget Montclair Ave nor Madison Ave.. I'm sure you missed these and many more.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:37 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,829,559 times
put "upper mountain ave, montclair" into your GPS and take a drive there, I am sure you will be impressed. I saw a castle house that looks like the "Cinderella " movie.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:26 AM

18,478 posts, read 15,266,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
put "upper mountain ave, montclair" into your GPS and take a drive there, I am sure you will be impressed. I saw a castle house that looks like the "Cinderella " movie.

A friend of mine used to live on Upper Mountain. There are 2 big Tudor mansions right next to each other. They almost look like mirror images of each other. He lived in the one on the left. Anyway, these two houses were built during prohibition, and he showed me that there was a tunnel built between the basements of the two mansions. Im told they used to have parties with alcohol and they needed an escape route in case they ever got raided.
But back on point, there are many impressive areas of Montclair. If the op didn't see any, they just weren't looking.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:22 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,872,625 times
Whew. I'm glad you guys dug up this gem from January to tell that guy off. Otherwise we would have all moved on from this thriller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey