Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 12:18 AM

973 posts, read 1,453,551 times

Advertisements

The superbowl thread got me thinking. NJ lost out on a lot of things, because it was more of the NY Superbowl hosted in NJ. When NY had the superbowl not too long ago, we heard nothing of NJ. What do we get from associating ourselves with NY? Anything? If we're not, why don't we stop it? There's a lot of states that border NY that get swallowed up in NY like we do. Don't say it's because we're close to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 12:21 AM

929 posts, read 1,659,774 times
Not really.

The only state that NYC owns is New Jersey. Philadelphia gets their little piece, but NYC pretty much owns NJ. Connecticut is a timeshare with New England.

What did New Jersey get out of it? Not fame, that's for sure. NJ's rep actually went down over the past few months. Tax money, I guess... and Newark Airport's duty free shops probably made a killing.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:48 AM

261 posts, read 418,260 times
I'm in Texas and I thought sure the game was a New York Super Bowl, that is, until I read your post. The only thing I've heard about New Jersey the past couple of weeks is your Governor's bridge scandal, which, btw, is really getting old. Yes, somebody up there missed lots of perfect opportunities to promote New Jersey more than they did. It could have been a lot of good free publicity for y'all.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:17 AM

973 posts, read 1,453,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyasdf View Post
I'm in Texas and I thought sure the game was a New York Super Bowl, that is, until I read your post. The only thing I've heard about New Jersey the past couple of weeks is your Governor's bridge scandal, which, btw, is really getting old. Yes, somebody up there missed lots of perfect opportunities to promote New Jersey more than they did. It could have been a lot of good free publicity for y'all.
I this is just part of a long list of things NJ has done to lose it's identity. We're basically the "Too poor to live in NY? Live here!!!!" state. It makes me wonder if part of the latching onto NY isn't just wanting to hang out with the "cool kid". Maybe we just know we're a terrible state with NOTHING to offer.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:24 AM

456 posts, read 833,418 times
So many times I have flown to Newark, but the flight attendants many times have said upon arrival "Welcome to New York". North NJ is basically NYC's neighborhood, like Long Island is. Living in NYC's metro area, you are bound to get connected to NYC more. Though for me it's always been clear that I live in NJ, even if I'm literally just 5 minutes from NYC.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:49 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,721 times
A big fat slap in the face ! Was probably one of the dumbest and most restricted super bowls, NOTHING was offered to the guests to have a good time in NJ . The location sucks and NJ didnt bother to have some kind of special events, those were all held in NY and made NYC all the big bucks.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:17 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
The superbowl thread got me thinking. NJ lost out on a lot of things, because it was more of the NY Superbowl hosted in NJ. When NY had the superbowl not too long ago, we heard nothing of NJ. What do we get from associating ourselves with NY? Anything? If we're not, why don't we stop it? There's a lot of states that border NY that get swallowed up in NY like we do. Don't say it's because we're close to it.
When did NY have the Superbowl? I'm so confused.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:26 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
I this is just part of a long list of things NJ has done to lose it's identity. We're basically the "Too poor to live in NY? Live here!!!!" state. It makes me wonder if part of the latching onto NY isn't just wanting to hang out with the "cool kid". Maybe we just know we're a terrible state with NOTHING to offer.
It's your choice if you have lost your identity or feel that you're latching onto anything or feel that you have nothing to offer.

Personally, I think's it's better if everyone left that kind of thinking back in high school.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:33 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
When did NY have the Superbowl? I'm so confused.
Glad it's not just me confused..maybe she was thinking of a World Series??

Old 02-04-2014, 07:38 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Not really.

The only state that NYC owns is New Jersey. Philadelphia gets their little piece, but NYC pretty much owns NJ. Connecticut is a timeshare with New England.

What did New Jersey get out of it? Not fame, that's for sure. NJ's rep actually went down over the past few months. Tax money, I guess... and Newark Airport's duty free shops probably made a killing.
NFL bid forces the host city/state to not charge sales tax on the tickets, parking, or luxury suites. so we didn't get tax money. lost out on about $8M due to that nice provision. 700+ state troopers, cops, and security all paid for by the state, since the NFL bid states they are not responsible for security, though security is required.

NYC got most of the "events", most of the hotel guests (Harmon meadows had a touch over 2,000 guests, reportedly, no more than they would have had normally).

What did we get? Even though if everyone drove to the game it would have taken them hours to leave the parking lot, we got the bad rep because it took 3 hours to load 30,000+ people onto NJT trains that carry 1,600 passengers per train. Other than that...not much. I think the players' and staff salaries are taxed in NJ for the week they were here...so there's that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey