Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 09:58 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I'm assuming from your screen name that you're a realtor. If so, you may want to brush up on the laws, since you're providing incorrect info.

There is no "exit tax" in NJ- there is a "real estate transfer tax", which everyone pays regardless of where you move to. The "tax" that everyone keeps referring to if you move out of state is simply withholding of potential NJ state income taxes due on capital gains from the sale- if you show a forwarding address that's not in NJ, the closing attorney is required to withhold taxes that may be due on the capital gain so that NJ doesn't have to go chasing people all over the country to collect.

i'm thisclose to making this a sticky, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 10:43 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i'm thisclose to making this a sticky, LOL.
Wow.....she likes me....she really likes me.......lol.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:35 AM

468 posts, read 580,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delray Patty View Post
they elected
that idiot McGreevy instead and look what they got....another scandal
Yea but now it's looking like McGreevy was a walk in the park next to this bozo. It's like the Clinton/Bush thing...I'd take a sex scandal over a crashing economy anyday!

Old 03-14-2008, 12:47 PM

269 posts, read 944,495 times
Just came across this on the NJ Div. of Taxation - NJ Realty Transfer Fees FAQs (http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/lpt/rtffaqs.htm - broken link)

Outlines the FAQ's about the NJ Realty Transfer Fees

Old 03-14-2008, 02:29 PM

717 posts, read 773,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSo View Post
Yea but now it's looking like McGreevy was a walk in the park next to this bozo. It's like the Clinton/Bush thing...I'd take a sex scandal over a crashing economy anyday!
Only Clinton was responsible for the sex scandal. The President has very little control over the economy. But that is for another forum.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:46 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
We moved out of NJ in Feb. 1990 and we were penalized on our income tax. It's been so long that I can't remember the exact details, but we wound up paying tax on all our income for that year (NJ & VA) to the NJ government as well as paying our VA taxes in VA.

It didn't stop our relocation, but it sure left a bitter taste of NJ.

We do miss the boardwalk and our longtime friends, but the rest of the state is pretty much a speck in the rearview mirror of life.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:30 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
We moved out of NJ in Feb. 1990 and we were penalized on our income tax. It's been so long that I can't remember the exact details, but we wound up paying tax on all our income for that year (NJ & VA) to the NJ government as well as paying our VA taxes in VA.

It didn't stop our relocation, but it sure left a bitter taste of NJ.

We do miss the boardwalk and our longtime friends, but the rest of the state is pretty much a speck in the rearview mirror of life.
If you filed your state taxes correctly, you would not have paid taxes on the same income to both New Jersey and Virginia. You should have pro-rated your income for the time you were a resident in each state. For example, if you moved from NJ at the end of March, you would have claimed only the income from 1/1 to 3/31 for NJ. Then you would have claimed the balance of the year to Virginia and paid the tax on that income to them. However, since this happened in 1990, it's too late to amend your returns. It sounds like you weren't penalized, just filed incorrectly.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:16 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
However, since this happened in 1990, it's too late to amend your returns. It sounds like you weren't penalized, just filed incorrectly.
I appreciate your reply. Although I was astounded when this occurred, the people who did my taxes were adamant that it was correct. But, no use crying over spilled milk as they say.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:19 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I appreciate your reply. Although I was astounded when this occurred, the people who did my taxes were adamant that it was correct. But, no use crying over spilled milk as they say.
I worked in the New Jersey Division of Taxation call center and e-mail unit for 3 years. You would be ASTOUNDED at the number of accountants (including CPAs) who make stupid mistakes on income tax returns. We always told people to go over their returns carefully before they sign them because THEY are responsible for what's on the return, not the accountant. I hate to tell you how much money people lost due to errors on their returns. Sorry it happened to you.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:36 PM

77 posts, read 336,147 times
Default Bob Kovacs

Bob,
Could you please explain the EXIT TAX to me?............................................... ................

Sorry, after reading this thread (I'm selling my house) I couldn't help myself.
Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey