Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 12:58 PM

18 posts, read 81,611 times

Advertisements

This may have been asked before but I could not find a thread answering my question.

First may I say this is my definition of "inclusion": children with varying levels of disabilities such as high functioning autism, ADHD, or behavioral issues are included in general education classrooms with aides. The classrooms may also include a special ed teacher to supplement the general ed teacher. But at the very least, the special ed children attend school in the "regular" classrooms with aides.

That being said is anyone familiar with their own town's elementary schools and whether this exists? I'm looking for that "magic" school district in NJ. I've been told fairy tales that such a place exists in Tinton Falls and Wayne. (yes that is sarcasism.) I would love to find a town where my son could be included in the general ed class with an aide for at least part of the school day.

We currently live in Northern Jersey and are spoiled by the easy access to NYC and great restaurants, etc. Just not having a great experience with our school district and the whole IEP process. However, even if that were not true we would be moving anyway as I would like more elbow room than this part of the state offers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 03:19 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susandink View Post
This may have been asked before but I could not find a thread answering my question.

First may I say this is my definition of "inclusion": children with varying levels of disabilities such as high functioning autism, ADHD, or behavioral issues are included in general education classrooms with aides. The classrooms may also include a special ed teacher to supplement the general ed teacher. But at the very least, the special ed children attend school in the "regular" classrooms with aides.

That being said is anyone familiar with their own town's elementary schools and whether this exists? I'm looking for that "magic" school district in NJ. I've been told fairy tales that such a place exists in Tinton Falls and Wayne. (yes that is sarcasism.) I would love to find a town where my son could be included in the general ed class with an aide for at least part of the school day.

We currently live in Northern Jersey and are spoiled by the easy access to NYC and great restaurants, etc. Just not having a great experience with our school district and the whole IEP process. However, even if that were not true we would be moving anyway as I would like more elbow room than this part of the state offers.
Montclair has been doing inclusion for a while now(since the 80s) and i have seen many kids with different disabilities have great experiences there.

I would definitely also recommend checking out The New Jersey Coalition for Inclusive Education: New Jersey Coalition for Inclusive Education, Inc. - NJ Coalition for Inclusive Education

Old 03-09-2014, 03:28 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,592 times
I know that Livingston uses resource teachers (pull out for LAL & Math - if needed) with inclusion (including aides) in the general ed classroom as long as the students can be serviced in that way. I don't believe they have full inclusion which really means that a Sp Ed teacher is in the room at least part of the day.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:12 PM

18 posts, read 81,611 times
Thanks! Montclair and Livingston are good options for out of district placement. It may take a while to sell our house in this market and those are both near by.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:14 PM

200 posts, read 555,066 times
Check Basking Ridge schools and the Somerset Hills school district which covers Bernardsville, Far Hills, Peapack Gladstone.

I know there are aides in the classroom at the Bedwell elementary school. Sorry, no time to research for you.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:26 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
so my daughter was put in some kind of inclusion class. so we look it up and it seems to be a class where they mix kids who have difficulty with kids that do not have difficulty. my kid does not have difficulty. should i see this as a positive? it is clear that other parents with kids in the class (without difficulty) see it as a positive. i guess they have 2 teachers so they figure that is better. i am not so sure. what do you think?

Old 09-07-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so my daughter was put in some kind of inclusion class. so we look it up and it seems to be a class where they mix kids who have difficulty with kids that do not have difficulty. my kid does not have difficulty. should i see this as a positive? it is clear that other parents with kids in the class (without difficulty) see it as a positive. i guess they have 2 teachers so they figure that is better. i am not so sure. what do you think?

I think its a positive. The hope is that the kids who do not have difficulty will have a positive influence on the kids who do. Obviously they should have things under control to ensure the kids who dont have difficulty arent adversely affected but it sounds like they have 2 teachers so they have adequate coverage.

I can tell you that when i was in high school there were a number of special needs kids in regular classes and benefits were seen on both sides as overall people learn to be more accepting of all types of differences.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:56 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
I think its a positive. The hope is that the kids who do not have difficulty will have a positive influence on the kids who do. Obviously they should have things under control to ensure the kids who dont have difficulty arent adversely affected but it sounds like they have 2 teachers so they have adequate coverage.

I can tell you that when i was in high school there were a number of special needs kids in regular classes and benefits were seen on both sides as overall people learn to be more accepting of all types of differences.
being in my daughter's presence benefits everybody. but im mainly concerned with her and not so much about anyone but her.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
being in my daughter's presence benefits everybody. but im mainly concerned with her and not so much about anyone but her.
hahaha obviously! No i think it will benefit her as well you will find.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:53 AM

351 posts, read 482,269 times
It might benefit her in being more aware that some kids are disabled, however i don't think it would benefit her in a classroom education. In what world would "children with varying levels of disabilities such as high functioning autism, ADHD, or behavioral issues" be a positive contribution to the class? Kids with ADHD and behavioral issues are self explanatory. Autism, do your own research and see if the benefits outweigh the bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey