Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 08:37 AM

14 posts, read 52,866 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am from Singapore, and had been offered a project manager job in New Jersey. If you don't know where is Singapore, don't bother to try and locate it on the map. Its just a dot on the globe. However, this is the safest place in Southeast Asia.

I have a family, comprising of my wife and 2 lovely kids, 6 yrs old and 1 yrs old. The older kid will be going for primary education next year.

The offer package I had is $68K with full medical coverage for family and relocation fees. However, I am quite concerned on whether if this amount is enough for my family to survive in NJ, especially when I may have to send my older son to an International School. Any ideas how much is the costs for International School?

How about taxes for foreigners like me? Will it be very high? Being an Asian Chinese, I am not sure if there is high chances of racism? I do understand that NJ has a lot of good people, but there is still this concern especially its for the safety of my wife and kids.

For the time being, I am still not very sure where I will be in New Jersey, However, I would appreciate the feedback from you gentlemen and ladies.

Warmest Regards....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2006, 11:12 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,933,332 times
68K a year would be a stretch for a single person. But for a family....its simply impossible. You would not be able to survive in NJ or anywhere close to NYC. Tell your boss to come to NJ and live on $68K a year

In terms of discrimination, don't worry about that. NJ is very diverse, including thousands of Asian descent. There are very good towns in New Jersey that are heavily polulated by Asian Americans.

Don't know anything about international schools.

P.S. I visited Singapore about 4 years ago during my vacation to Asia. I loved it. And yes, it is very safe, much safer than NJ:-)

Last edited by ira; 07-06-2006 at 11:19 AM..

Old 07-06-2006, 12:07 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,059,040 times
Default Too little

I agree $68,000 a year for a single person is too little unless you are planning on living in a studio in Newark. You also have to factor in auto insurance, commuting costs, taxes, utilities & entertainment.

Rents are very high. A one bedroom apartment averages close to $2,000 a month and many landlords want 3 + months in advance

For a family with a child , anything under $200,000 is nearly impossible. A single person would need about $120,000 to survive.

Old 07-06-2006, 04:31 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,105,187 times
ditto the above posters - $68k/year is on the low side for NJ, although if your wife is going to also work, it's doable. It really depends on what area of NJ - northeast or central NJ would probably be unaffordable. NJ is extremely diverse - most people are liberal and open minded, and there are many people of Asian descent here.

Last edited by christina0001; 07-06-2006 at 04:37 PM..

Old 07-07-2006, 04:20 AM

60 posts, read 455,331 times
It isn't enough, not with 2 kids to take care of. While you might be able to do it, especially if your wife were working as well, it would be tight. Why put yourself in that situation? Property taxes here are very high, so if you buy a place you'd have that additional cost as well. Not to mention whatever that "full" medical insurance refuses to pay for.

Old 07-07-2006, 09:23 AM

145 posts, read 849,847 times
Tell your boss to live here for that salary!
It makes me really mad when employers do things like that!
Please read my thread called "Do your Homework"
Then tell your boss to read this forum.
I am worried for you

Old 07-07-2006, 11:34 AM

1,330 posts, read 5,097,093 times
68K is very low pay for NJ, especially for a PM! There are a LOT of asian people in that area, my best friend is Cantonese and her entire family is in the Paramus/NYC area and she never deals with any serious racism. As a matter of fact, Asian people in this area have a pretty good reputation as being hard-working, intelligent and family orientated people - a lot of good stereotypes. Rarely you will find an idiot that may make a couple off color comments about race.

If you can get higher pay then I would say the move would be worth it.

Old 07-07-2006, 11:42 AM

954 posts, read 4,379,296 times
For $68,000 you had better move to North Carolina where it seems most of Jersey is moving.

Old 07-07-2006, 03:22 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,757,863 times
Everyone here has been very accurate in their responses, kohbh. With two children, it would be almost impossible to make it here.
Please consider the change in quality of life, also. You will read on NC boards (like mhogan stated), most people are getting out of NJ-myself included-to make a better life for their families. The taxes, the commute, the cost of living, all add up to working just to keep a roof over your head.

I know Singapore is lovely. My parents stayed their for 3 months and fell in love with it. I think coming to NJ could be a difficult transition.

If you do want to make the move, though, don't be worried about racism. There is a huge Asian population here. There are many towns, actually that are primarily Asian.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 07-08-2006, 09:08 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,059,040 times
Default Much too little

{{The offer package I had is $68K with full medical coverage for family and relocation fees. However, I am quite concerned on whether if this amount is enough for my family to survive in NJ, especially when I may have to send my older son to an International School. Any ideas how much is the costs for International School?}}

Its hardly enough for a single person let alone a family in NJ. Forget qualifying for a mortgage or being able to qualify to rent a two bedroom apartment at that salary. Forget about private school or even being able to own a car and pay insurance + gas + maintenance. This region is for the affluent and for those making $300,000 a year or more.

Maybe you can find a studio or one bedroom in Newark or Elizabeth for under $1,500 a month, but you won't be able to afford (or qualify to rent in) any of the nicer parts.

The housing & rental market are extremely tight. Landlords typically require 3-6 months rent upfront, and 15% of annual rent for the broker pay paid to the real estate company who finds you the apartment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey