Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 05:53 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,215,983 times

Advertisements

I would love to see the day Route 1 will be widened to 3 lanes in South Brunswick. Its really required at this point of time. Traffic has gone from Bad to worse along this stretch of Route 1. Back in 1999 when I first visited this area, there were minor jams near Aaron Road. But right now the traffic jams extend far beyond and there seem to be endless bottlenecks starting from The NJ 26/91 bridge till Alexander Road in Princeton. A 10 mile drive takes me 45 minutes one way, no kidding .

Furthermore, since people seek to avoid Route 1 due to this issue, NJ 27 is jammed up all the way as well. Something needs to be done, and it must be done before the train station and shopping areas are built in North Brunswick which will cause a substantial jump in the number of people using Route 1. Its high time we set up an efficient transportation plan to tackle transportation issues in the Brunswick's.

Residents, please express your views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 06:15 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,013,658 times
That section of Rt 1 is gonna look like edison in a matter of years

Old 06-21-2014, 06:21 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I would love to see the day Route 1 will be widened to 3 lanes in South Brunswick. Its really required at this point of time. Traffic has gone from Bad to worse along this stretch of Route 1. Back in 1999 when I first visited this area, there were minor jams near Aaron Road. But right now the traffic jams extend far beyond and there seem to be endless bottlenecks starting from The NJ 26/91 bridge till Alexander Road in Princeton. A 10 mile drive takes me 45 minutes one way, no kidding .

Furthermore, since people seek to avoid Route 1 due to this issue, NJ 27 is jammed up all the way as well. Something needs to be done, and it must be done before the train station and shopping areas are built in North Brunswick which will cause a substantial jump in the number of people using Route 1. Its high time we set up an efficient transportation plan to tackle transportation issues in the Brunswick's.

Funds dedicated for infrastructure are traditionally raided and placed in the general fund so legislators can say they need more tax money for roads and bridges.

Additionally towns expand to gain tax base without regard to roads serving the community. They firgure if we build it, residences, the state will have to respond and widen or build more roads.

typical case of towns and state being out of sync and actually in opposition to each other playing, " I dare you !".

Then there are the upstream and downstream towns in rt 1's case.

Uncontrolled expansion means more taxpayer first aid be applied generously to soothe the pain caused by local pols and legislators.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:22 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,215,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
That section of Rt 1 is gonna look like edison in a matter of years
I have a feeling its already just as bad . Often I have to go shopping after 8 PM to buy stuff in the area, just because I don't want to waste time on the road sitting in traffic after returning home.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:17 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,594,813 times
If you really want the answer you can go to the NJ DOT website and look up the plans which are called something like STIP State Transportation Improvement plans. I looked at those a few years back. They list what's planned year by year for each highway.

About a decade or more ago when NJ canceled building I-95 they said that the funds would instead go to fixing up that particular stretch of US 1, actually the whole section from where i-95 ends by bakers Basin between Princeton and Trenton all the way up to I-287. The portion of I-95 never built would have bypassed that whole stretch.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:34 AM

882 posts, read 1,671,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
If you really want the answer you can go to the NJ DOT website and look up the plans which are called something like STIP State Transportation Improvement plans. I looked at those a few years back. They list what's planned year by year for each highway.

About a decade or more ago when NJ canceled building I-95 they said that the funds would instead go to fixing up that particular stretch of US 1, actually the whole section from where i-95 ends by bakers Basin between Princeton and Trenton all the way up to I-287. The portion of I-95 never built would have bypassed that whole stretch.
NJ would really benefit from a north-south Freeway west of the Turnpike linking to 287 to 295. Genreally I'd rather see more mass transit than roads built, but in this case I think it's absolutely necessary. No north-south freeway north of Trenton exists between the Turnpike and 476 in PA.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:51 AM

11,350 posts, read 16,714,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post

When pigs fly.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:01 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,026,502 times
I've been whining about this for years. South Brunswick didn't want it widened originally because when the rest of the road was widened, SB had a lot of working farms. They finally gave in a few years ago, but now who knows when it will start because of lack of budget.

Then there is that new Transit Village going up! I hope to God that it is widened before that opens!

Old 06-21-2014, 02:54 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,775,992 times
wont help. If you widen it, just more cars will come and the traffic will be just as bad as it is now, just more cars

Old 06-21-2014, 07:00 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,594,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
wont help. If you widen it, just more cars will come and the traffic will be just as bad as it is now, just more cars
Eliminating many traffic lights and getting it to at least 3 lanes each way would make a world of difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey