Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 10:32 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,112,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Pulaski should be expanded to 3 lanes on each side. So much traffic during rush hour.
The end destinations can't handle more traffic, it wouldn't really accomplish anything. You'd just have more cars sitting in gridlock on a bridge. The Holland Tunnel is 2 lanes, more lanes going into it does not produce more cars going through it. Both the NYC street grid, and the Hoboken/JC waterfront street grid, are pretty well traffic-choked regardless. And the Turnpike Extension is also running into here, as is 1&9T, Route 7, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
The largest metro area can't get the funds together to replace this POS?
]

More lanes aren't going to help, because the cars will have nowhere to go. Shoulders and better ramps at Broadway + 139 would help, but are not worth billions of $ difference.

And it would be billions of $ difference, especially if you aren't willing to close the road for half a decade or more to demolish the whole thing and rebuild in place. As it is, it's extremely tightly bound on both ends, you'd need huge amounts of eminent domain and reconstruction of other infrastructure to do the normal way to build a bridge (build a parallel span, shift traffic to new one, demolish old one).

Quote:
If that's the truth, then this is pathetic. I can't wait to see how much duct tape they put on this thing to take up 2-years worth of time.
It's 82 years old, and has been terribly maintained in the past. I personally prefer they fix it properly rather than "duct-tape" fixes or ignoring it and continuing to have things like this: 'Paper thin' structural support on the Pulaski Skyway thanks to decades of corrosion | NJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 10:35 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,526,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
The end destinations can't handle more traffic, it wouldn't really accomplish anything. You'd just have more cars sitting in gridlock on a bridge. The Holland Tunnel is 2 lanes, more lanes going into it does not produce more cars going through it. Both the NYC street grid, and the Hoboken/JC waterfront street grid, are pretty well traffic-choked regardless. And the Turnpike Extension is also running into here, as is 1&9T, Route 7, etc.

]

More lanes aren't going to help, because the cars will have nowhere to go. Shoulders and better ramps at Broadway + 139 would help, but are not worth billions of $ difference.

And it would be billions of $ difference, especially if you aren't willing to close the road for half a decade or more to demolish the whole thing and rebuild in place. As it is, it's extremely tightly bound on both ends, you'd need huge amounts of eminent domain and reconstruction of other infrastructure to do the normal way to build a bridge (build a parallel span, shift traffic to new one, demolish old one).

It's 82 years old, and has been terribly maintained in the past. I personally prefer they fix it properly rather than "duct-tape" fixes or ignoring it and continuing to have things like this: 'Paper thin' structural support on the Pulaski Skyway thanks to decades of corrosion | NJ.com
I think you are living in neverneverland if you think that duct tape is going to solve the ongoing issue of traffic problems and infrastructure on the pulaski skyway. It's actually extremely stupid that NJ is waking up only now to fix an 82 year old bridge.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:13 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,112,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I think you are living in neverneverland if you think that duct tape is going to solve the ongoing issue of traffic problems and infrastructure on the pulaski skyway.
Traffic problems? No. The point is nothing you do to the Pulaski Skyway is going to really fix traffic problems. The primary problem is that the main end destinations can't handle the existing traffic, much less more of it. And unless you're widening the Holland Tunnel, Route 139 Lower, etc, widening the Skyway would do nothing more than make a bigger elevated parking lot.

Anyway, they're putting the bridge back in a proper state of repair, and they're making the Broadway/JSQ on-ramp less of a deathtrap.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:50 PM

7,056 posts, read 19,318,865 times
Quote:
Traffic problems? No. The point is nothing you do to the Pulaski Skyway is going to really fix traffic problems. The primary problem is that the main end destinations can't handle the existing traffic, much less more of it. And unless you're widening the Holland Tunnel, Route 139 Lower, etc, widening the Skyway would do nothing more than make a bigger elevated parking lot.

Anyway, they're putting the bridge back in a proper state of repair, and they're making the Broadway/JSQ on-ramp less of a deathtrap.
Indeed. Widening the skyway would only create a bigger bottleneck near Tonnele Circle. That is, unless you also widen Tonnele Ave, the 139 covered roadway, the Holland Tunnel, and tear down Soho and Greenwich village to build a super expressway across Manhattan, a la Robert Moses vs Jane Jacobs.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:32 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,596,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Indeed. Widening the skyway would only create a bigger bottleneck near Tonnele Circle. That is, unless you also widen Tonnele Ave, the 139 covered roadway, the Holland Tunnel, and tear down Soho and Greenwich village to build a super expressway across Manhattan, a la Robert Moses vs Jane Jacobs.
The area of the Tonnele Ave circle is being rebuilt under a NJDOT project called something like St Pauls Ave with flyovers and new ramps.

NYC itself has not been friendly to cars for as long as I can remember. I-78 was supposed to go across lower Manhattan as the Lomex, Lower Manhattan Expressway to the Willy Willliamsburg Bridge then across Brooklyn to JFK airport.

I-78 stopped at the NYC end of the Holland Tunnel and there was a small part of I-78 near JFK that got renumbered many many years ago to something like I-678, the rest never happened.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:08 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,411,876 times
Quote:

the work that they did around Jersey Ave in 2006/07/08 was great. it was basic changes but it really improved the flow of traffic there. now the changes they're making for the tonnelle ave interchange and the 1&9 approach is also helping to greatly improve the flow of traffic. the problem is, as you stated, the choke point that is the Holland Tunnel. it can't handle the volume, and even if it could, the area it spills into in NYC can't, so it really doesn't matter what is done to the approaches to it. without more options, we're just in need of maintaining the existing infrastructure. there's really no expansion for car traffic that would do anything in that area.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:12 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,411,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
The area of the Tonnele Ave circle is being rebuilt under a NJDOT project called something like St Pauls Ave with flyovers and new ramps.

NYC itself has not been friendly to cars for as long as I can remember. I-78 was supposed to go across lower Manhattan as the Lomex, Lower Manhattan Expressway to the Willy Willliamsburg Bridge then across Brooklyn to JFK airport.

I-78 stopped at the NYC end of the Holland Tunnel and there was a small part of I-78 near JFK that got renumbered many many years ago to something like I-678, the rest never happened.
and how could it ever happen? unless there was some massive ramp or a "big dig" like project. both of which would be cool, but we need alternative transportation at this point....and a lot of it.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:13 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,749,344 times
So.... anyone do the commute today? Im curious to know how much worse it was.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:31 AM

244 posts, read 598,239 times
I commuted - our bus took the Extension - I made it to work quicker than I ever have taking the bus - no traffic whatsoever - Could be a combination of things though - people scared to take the Holland tunnel the first day and many schools in NJ are closed this week so alot of parents take the week off.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:21 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,829,221 times
this sucks, it's really a pain going to chinatown now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey