Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 09:19 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit979 View Post
If I find an unfurnished apartment, Can anyone give me a fair idea of how much the new furniture would cost? ( bed, sofa, chairs, dining table, etc...). A rough estimate would really help here...

Also is it a normal trend to get unfurnished houses on rent and then buy the stuff separately?

Normally, apartments are rented unfurnished. You might find a furnished sublet, but that is more often a short-term lease.

Are you moving here permanently, or temporarily?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 02:20 PM

19 posts, read 43,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Normally, apartments are rented unfurnished. You might find a furnished sublet, but that is more often a short-term lease.

Are you moving here permanently, or temporarily?
I am moving here for 2-3 years !!

Old 04-23-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I am moving here for 2-3 years !!

I assume you're coming here on your own, no wife or children?

There are businesses that rent out furnished "executive" apartments. But, they normally charge a much higher rent.

You might want to contact one of the hotels that has apartment-like rooms with fridge, stove, etc. For instance, Marriott Residence Inn. Tell them you'd be staying there for 2 to 3 years & ask what kind of a deal they can give you. I've met business people that have stayed at a Residence Inn for months & months while working a job.

That would save the money & hassle of having to buy furniture & the room would get cleaned by the hotel staff & the hotels often serve free breakfast & dinners.

Otherwise, the odds are that you'll rent an unfurnished apartment. Apartments normally are equipped with the kitchen equipment, i.e. fridge, stove, etc. You'll have to buy the usual kitchen pots, pans, utensils, etc.

You'll have to buy furniture, TV, & all that.

After you've found an apartment than you can look on Craiglist for local people selling used TV, furniture, etc., if you want to cut costs.

Although I would recommend buying a new bed from a store (don't want to risk getting bedbugs.)

Last edited by daliowa; 04-23-2014 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 04-24-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I assume you're coming here on your own, no wife or children?

There are businesses that rent out furnished "executive" apartments. But, they normally charge a much higher rent.

You might want to contact one of the hotels that has apartment-like rooms with fridge, stove, etc. For instance, Marriott Residence Inn. Tell them you'd be staying there for 2 to 3 years & ask what kind of a deal they can give you. I've met business people that have stayed at a Residence Inn for months & months while working a job.

That would save the money & hassle of having to buy furniture & the room would get cleaned by the hotel staff & the hotels often serve free breakfast & dinners.

Otherwise, the odds are that you'll rent an unfurnished apartment. Apartments normally are equipped with the kitchen equipment, i.e. fridge, stove, etc. You'll have to buy the usual kitchen pots, pans, utensils, etc.

You'll have to buy furniture, TV, & all that.

After you've found an apartment than you can look on Craiglist for local people selling used TV, furniture, etc., if you want to cut costs.

Although I would recommend buying a new bed from a store (don't want to risk getting bedbugs.)

Thanks a lot for your detailed response. I am moving with my wife and hence would like to find an apartment somewhere near the journal square area.

From the looks of it, I think it will be very difficult to find a furnished apartment and hence I will end up everything buying.

Other than craiglist,are there any other websites where I can search for used TV's, furniture etc...I would definitely like to cut the costs here...

Old 04-24-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your detailed response. I am moving with my wife and hence would like to find an apartment somewhere near the journal square area.

From the looks of it, I think it will be very difficult to find a furnished apartment and hence I will end up everything buying.

Other than craiglist,are there any other websites where I can search for used TV's, furniture etc...I would definitely like to cut the costs here...

Sometimes people place "for sale" ads for used furniture in local newspapers.

There are stores where you can get low-end furniture that should be good enough to last 2 years or so, such as:
Bob's Discount Furniture in Secaucus Bob's Discount Furniture

Sometimes department stores like Sears or Macy's will sell furniture that's been used as a floor sample. They'll usually give you a discount if you buy the floor sample piece.

Is it just you & your wife, no kids? If you have school-age children than recommendations on where to live will be different.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:12 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Default Furniture

Check out MyPriceForYou Everything for less MyPriceForYou.com - Affordable furniture They usually have a package deal sale with furniture for the whole apartment. Very reasonable. I have used them before. If you cannot find the package deal, just call them and they will help you out.
You should feel very much at home in the area of little india. India Square - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
welcome to nj

Old 04-27-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Sometimes people place "for sale" ads for used furniture in local newspapers.

There are stores where you can get low-end furniture that should be good enough to last 2 years or so, such as:
Bob's Discount Furniture in Secaucus Bob's Discount Furniture

Sometimes department stores like Sears or Macy's will sell furniture that's been used as a floor sample. They'll usually give you a discount if you buy the floor sample piece.

Is it just you & your wife, no kids? If you have school-age children than recommendations on where to live will be different.
Thanks for your reply.

Ya its just me and my wife and no plan for any kids for at least 3 years....

I am planning to find an apartment in Journal square that is at a walk-able distance from Journal Square Path station. (typically north of Journal square). Is this area safe since my wife would be at home alone for most part of the day.

Also I have heard that there are very frequent Private carriers buses to NYCl ( like community lines NY gate 51 bus). Is it safe enough to travel in these buses?

Thanks for your help. Really appreciate it.

Ankit

Old 04-27-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

Ya its just me and my wife and no plan for any kids for at least 3 years....

I am planning to find an apartment in Journal square that is at a walk-able distance from Journal Square Path station. (typically north of Journal square). Is this area safe since my wife would be at home alone for most part of the day.

Also I have heard that there are very frequent Private carriers buses to NYCl ( like community lines NY gate 51 bus). Is it safe enough to travel in these buses?

Thanks for your help. Really appreciate it.

Ankit

If you live near Journal Square than you'll have plenty of transportation options. You can take the PATH train from Journal Square directly to Manhattan. PATH - The Port Authority of NY & NJ

There's also jitney buses that go up & down Kennedy (JFK) Boulevard & some go to Manhattan. When we lived up there I took the jitney buses & never had a problem, but they're not regulated like NJ Transit buses.

Your wife should be fine in the Journal Square area. Some blocks are nice, some blocks are rather shabby.

I'm sure that she'll learn her way around quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey