Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 10:34 AM

23,536 posts, read 17,214,216 times

Advertisements

I'd first look at the condition of the roof.

solar panels on a older roof might require all the panels to be taken down to replace plywood and shingles.

Can't imagine what that would cost.

Solar panels are a great concept and great where they do work. a house nearby has an array of panels mounted on raised structure almost like an amphitheater in the back of the yard. that would be preferable to roof mounted panels

"UL is warning consumers about photovoltaic panels that bear a counterfeit certification mark. Despite the mark, the solar panel has not been evaluated by UL and it is unknown whether the solar panels comply with any safety requirements."

then there is a concern re fires and legislation re
[LEFT]"Gov. Chris Christie signed legislation this week mandating building owners notify local fire officials of roof-mounted panels. Only one and two-family residences are exempt.
The law also requires posting of an emblem on a building’s front entrance to signify the presence of roof top solar panels.
The bill resulted from a study by the New Jersey Fire Commission of emerging solar issues affecting firefighting. The bill was sponsored by Sen. Anthony R. Bucco, R- Morris, one of the commission members, and will be implemented by the state Department of Communty Affairs.
Bucco called it “common sense” legislation to protect safety of firefighters and better prepare them to perform dangerous jobs."
[/LEFT]
"Devon and Somerset Fire Service said it was concerned cables from panels could remain live, even after they were disconnected."
[LEFT]"There were also risks of panels falling on firefighters, it added."[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 10:56 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,398,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Count me as one of these people. I wouldn't even look at one UNLESS they were almost giving it away. Anyone that says that this doesn't affect resale value is wrong. I just proved it.
and when i shop for my next home, i'll give preference to homes that have solar already installed over ones that dont.

I just proved the opposite of what you just proved (anecdotally, of course - which proves nothing)

Old 03-09-2015, 10:57 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,142,152 times
If we lived in a climate like Florida or Arizona where people run air conditioning year round, then maybe you're using enough electricity to make it worthwhile. But around here I don't see that being the case. For my 3-bedroom house I rarely pay more than about $50/month in electricity. Certainly not enough to make me consider generating my own electricity.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:37 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,764 times
I have a question comparing Solar to wind mills. I understand that wind mills have to installed at twise the hight of an average house, but would Wind Mills be better for NJ then Solar ? A house only needs one or two windmills...

Old 03-09-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Nothing is free. Solar panels have all sorts of costs beyond installation. Such as a more robust roof. More wiring. More infrastructure. Plus they are subject to weather extremes in this area and break and are expensive to repair and maintain.

In certain climates they are a slam dunk. Not here in NJ. Total cost of ownership is probably a wash when you factor the decline in marketability we see in homes with panels.

In the future, maybe. "Soon they will be common". Maybe. But if you are making the decision today in New Jersey with our weather and today's issues, I don't think they are worth it.

I am happy to be proven wrong, because I need very little excuse to run out and buy new technology. But I am not seeing it right now.
A more robust roof? No one that I know that has installed panels has done anything to change their roof. Granted, you don't want to put them on top of a roof that currently has 20 year old shingles - but if you're roof is 'young', nothing is needed that's "more robust".

More infrastructure? Yes - solar panels. if i finish my basement, that requires "more infrastructure" as well.

Weather extremes? What do you mean they are "subject to weather extremes"?

If you don't want to worry about the expense of repairing - lease. But they don't break often. My boiler breaks and isn't cheap to maintain - should I skip having heat?

Old 03-09-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
If we lived in a climate like Florida or Arizona where people run air conditioning year round, then maybe you're using enough electricity to make it worthwhile. But around here I don't see that being the case. For my 3-bedroom house I rarely pay more than about $50/month in electricity. Certainly not enough to make me consider generating my own electricity.
You're missing something - it's not how much you use, it's how much your property can generate. Whether you use $50/month of $300/month - you're not going to want them if you can't generate much kwh. But, if you can generate $400 kwh/month....if you use $50, you pocket $350, if you use $300, you pocket $100.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
I have a question comparing Solar to wind mills. I understand that wind mills have to installed at twise the hight of an average house, but would Wind Mills be better for NJ then Solar ? A house only needs one or two windmills...
residential windmills are more expensive, from what i've seen - and you need a place to put them. some can be mounted on a roof. it's a good idea, and may be a better option in the near future. I know people out in sussex county that have them.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:44 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,254,824 times
A complete hassle I can do without.

Repeat after me -- you are not going to 'save the planet' by putting up solar panels.
Yes -- the technology is impressive. Agree! And you'll save some $$ -- eventually.
But it's really not a good financial deal.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:49 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
and when i shop for my next home, i'll give preference to homes that have solar already installed over ones that dont.

I just proved the opposite of what you just proved (anecdotally, of course - which proves nothing)
i saw marc make that point and i assume he is talking from his experience as a realtor. i saw you also said that your boiler needs maintenance but there is a big difference between deciding to get a boiler or solar panels. ultimately, its a financial decision for most and i am curious to hear unbiased and unemotional input from any side of the equation. you kind of seem to be emotionally favoring solar.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
A complete hassle I can do without.

Repeat after me -- you are not going to 'save the planet' by putting up solar panels.
Yes -- the technology is impressive. Agree! And you'll save some $$ -- eventually.
But it's really not a good financial deal.
if you'll save money, why is it not a good financial deal? Isn't that the definition of a good financial deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey