Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 09:48 AM

882 posts, read 1,671,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellmike View Post
I would honestly give Morristown another look. I know you visited and you weren't impressed, but perhaps you didn't hit the right spots?

It's honestly the most realistic and best selection given working in Bridgewater.
I didn't want to be the first one to say this, but since someone else brought it up, I'll proffer the case for Morristown. It should be noted that the town is very different on weekend evenings than during the week. For whatever reason, a lot of folks who don't live (can't afford?) in Morristown come there for a good time on Friday and Saturday...I imagine for a lot of people working in office parks in Morris and Somerset County, Morristown's a more convenient option for a night out than trekking into Hoboken, JC, or Manhattan. The weeknight crowd is more the after-work happy hour types, except on league sports night when the kickball teams come into town for after-game beers. Weekends are a mix of college kids, young professionals, and older folks.

Bars: In terms of a bar scene, Morristown has something like 45 liquor licences...a very high number for a what is basically a 1 square-mile downtown, I'm not sure any town outside of Hoboken has as high a concentration of bars. The bar-scene varies from Irish pub to dive bar to trashy to upscale. Places might not be as hip as New York or Hoboken, but there are certainly plenty of options.

Restaurants and shopping: Beyond the bars, Morristown is home to an eclectic restaurant scene. It has one of the most authentic Thai restuarants I've ever visited, and great South Asian and Middle Eastern options. At one time I think there were like 4 different places you could get good Kebab. Despite the plethora or liquor licenses, many of the restaurants are BYO, and one of the liquor stores in town has a service where they will deliver a wine bottle to your table. There're also about a half-dozen sushi places, and 3 (until recently 4) frozen yogurt spots. It also has a starbucks, a smart world, and an independent coffee place. There are a growing number of boutiques and shops along south street, a number which will increase as 40 Park gains more tenants. A Whole Foods is on the way too.

Outdoor Activities: Morristown has a number of health and fitness clubs...there are several yoga studios, traditional gyms, at least one crossfit place, and even a recreational pole dancing place. The town is also a hub for recreational adult sports leagues. If you like the outdoors, Washington Valley park is quite scenic and rustic only a 5 minute ride up Washington Street. There's also nearby Jockey Hollow with 20 miles of hiking trails. Mendham, Chester, Randolph, and Morris township are all home to various parks and hiking paths too.

Culture: The performing arts center hosts many acts from comedians to music to ballet. I've recently seen several fascinating martial arts performances there. The downtown movie theater was recently rennovated and is quite nice. McCulloch hall has some nice exhibits and frequently hosts interesting lecture series. Morris Museum you have to drive to, but is I believe the third largest museum in North Jersey. There's also the national park which has numerous events scheduled every month. There are also various festivals held on the town green, and major gatherings on holidays. Google Morristown+St. Patrick's day for an idea.

That being said, downsides:

Long commute time to Manhattan, over an hour by train.

Lack of a local music scene; if you're into seeing local independent bands preform at a cool venue, you won't really find that in Morristown. Plenty of bars have live music, but it tends to be cover bands.

Expensive: I've seen lists of cost-of-living expenses for various cities in the US and Morristown ranked in the top 20, one of the only small towns on a list dominated by big cities.

It's a town not a city. Sure there are a new luxury mid-rises going up, and the Headquarters towers, but off the main strip it's mostly houses, not rowhomes/brownstones that you find in Hoboken. For some this ruins the sense of urban place.

Not trying to evangelize, just giving out some of the details on the town that might be overlooked at first glance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 11:22 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,092,091 times
Thanks. This is helpful. We visited the "green" area on a sat morning/lunch time and seemd a litte slow. The shops seemed a little worn looking, and only saw 1-2 larger rental buildings. Perhaps we did not see other part of town worth seeing. For us, looking for the place with trendy restaurants, a place to rent with a doorman, gym/pilates, great shopping, and we prefer a more new build/modern look. Of course, the hard part, finding a town that is within an hour comte by car to bridgewater.

Are thre any Golf course communites that might fit this?

Old 04-26-2014, 11:38 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,014 times
Coming from Boston to NJ is a wake up call. I would say the only thing close to that would be Hoboken or NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey