Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 10:14 AM

7 posts, read 11,404 times

Advertisements

NJ is great. But for your situation and commute to Midtown West, I would buy a three-bedroom co-op in Irvington, New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 10:50 AM

141 posts, read 243,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
The problem is, the closer you get the city, the shorter your commute, but the further you get from the city, the less densely populated it will be.

Maybe check Maplewood/South Orange? The train from there is 35 mins.

Or, have you thought about trying to find a job in NJ?
2x

Old 04-29-2014, 10:52 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,324,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Penn Station is in Midtown, or at least the upper end of it is. OP says he's going to 50th and 8th, which is two subway stops on a frequent line (C or E). The east part of Midtown is another story.

As for a beer or glass of wine after work... there's two trains an hour on the M&E for much of the night; I doubt the NEC is any less frequent. And if it's an hour, guess I'm having two beers :-)

Commutes around here suck. But they don't have to suck THAT MUCH. Provided you can get to the train station on the NJ end, anyway.
NY/NJ commute sucks from burbs. Most commuters lie about the time so they can feel better. I work with them. One commutes from Jefferson..."i am at the office in an hour" they claim with huge bags under their 33 year old eyes. Sure it takes an hour to get to the office.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:01 AM

595 posts, read 677,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
...Most commuters lie about the time so they can feel better....
Yup!

Old 04-29-2014, 11:34 AM

168 posts, read 417,415 times
Quote:
NY/NJ commute sucks from burbs. Most commuters lie about the time so they can feel better. I work with them. One commutes from Jefferson..."i am at the office in an hour" they claim with huge bags under their 33 year old eyes. Sure it takes an hour to get to the office.

Exactly. Commuting is even worse from NJ because it is exceptionally unreliable.
NJ could have increased reliability and improved on their service if they had made a new tunnel. However they turned down this project because of the expense.
Isn't it ridiculous to ask higher prices for houses while the surrounding infrastructure and amenities are getting worse? Younger people pay more for less to bail out the boomers. This will not end well.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:22 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
I'd look into bus routes to PABT options. That puts you much closer to work once you get into the city, and you just get on the bus and that's it...no changes.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:34 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,324,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedus View Post
Exactly. Commuting is even worse from NJ because it is exceptionally unreliable.
NJ could have increased reliability and improved on their service if they had made a new tunnel. However they turned down this project because of the expense.
Isn't it ridiculous to ask higher prices for houses while the surrounding infrastructure and amenities are getting worse? Younger people pay more for less to bail out the boomers. This will not end well.
NJT is incredibly unreliable, but a new tunnel wouldn't have fixed the problem and for a state that is just about financially insolvent, I don't know how they could've funded that project. The state is on the brink of financial ruin. The books are in terrible shape. NJ is in embarrassingly bad financial condition that is maintained through financial gimmicks and creative bookkeeping. On par with Illinois.

A better solution would be to mandate a rotating telecommuting schedule for employees/companies where that will work. It would make for happier employees and take the burden off the infrastructure. I use to telecommute one day a week at my prior job. I had complete access to my desktop from home and I was a happier employee and I was taking pressure off the infrastructure and not burning gas. A very inexpensive to implement.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:39 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,774,845 times
Quote:
NJT is incredibly unreliable
I just do not see that. I guess it is a person's overall view on things. It is no more unreliable than driving in. Tunnel accidents and disabled vehicles are the same if you are on a bus or a car. Much rather be on a bus or train than driving in that mess every day

And lets face it, the OP will not really be happy no matter where she lives. The problem is that she barely gets to see her kids, and unless she lives right next to her office (or gets a job outside the city), that will always be the case

Old 04-29-2014, 04:05 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,668,415 times
I don't live that far away from the city(about 24 miles), I leave my house at 7:55 am every morning, drive 20 minutes to a train station, take a non-direct train and I'm at my desk at 9:06 am give or take 2 minutes. An 1:10-1:15 is a long time for 24 miles of distance but I have no problem with my commute, love my house and my life. Even when I lived in hoboken between walking to the path or the bus it was still taking 45 minutes to get from the front door of my apartment to my office and you can't get much closer than that. So basically aside from working from home, you really can;t do much regardless of where you live.

PS A majority of my staff commutes in from Brooklyn and their commute is still 45 minutes to an hour door-to door.

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 04-29-2014 at 05:07 PM..

Old 04-29-2014, 04:30 PM

465 posts, read 607,523 times
Default maybe you can shave off 15 mins starting in November

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnifus View Post
Thanks everyone for the input so far. To answer a question that came up from a few people, while I'd love to not have a job in NYC, it hasn't worked out for me. I left the UWS shortly after my 2nd child was born, burnt out on NYC and thinking I could create a better life for my family in PA. I chose PA b/c my mom and brother (my only relatives) live there now. My plan was to take 6-12 months not working and being at home w/my kids, and then get back to work. I'm a lawyer with most of my experience in financial services and after 1.5 years of job hunting, networking, etc throughout both PA and NJ, I had burned through too much of my savings and started looking for a job again in the metro NYC area, where my skills are (apparently) most marketable. Found this position through a former colleague and am grateful to have gotten it. I tried really, really hard to make it work out of NYC, but failed, and I am not happy about it but have to make the best of it.

Ideally I'd like this house to be where we live until my kids go to college (my starter and ender house, lol). I am sick of moving, and renting, and being unsettled - not having a permanent place to make home is wearing on all of us, but especially my 6 yo daughter. I want to settle in somewhere and build a community for myself and my family. My kids really need a backyard (small is ok) to run around in especially my son, and I need a bedroom for each of them (girl and boy). I don't want to live in the city proper anymore, or apartment style. And I need to be able to use the public schools.

Someone asked whether the extra 15 min on each end of the day would make a big difference - I've wondered that too. Maybe it's more the quality of the commute now, and so maybe even a longer train tide but direct and with no parking problems would help. I'm flummoxed, and just trying to figure out what little I might be able to fix to make this more bearable...
Maybe you can shave off 15 minutes starting in November. Midtown direct is expanding.

Direct Evening Trains from RoselleRP, Westfield, Fanwood, Plainfield to NYC Coming this Fall, Report Says - Westfield NJ News - The Alternative Press
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey