Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 09:17 PM

189 posts, read 582,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the South View Post
That is a ludicrous comment that is not based on reality.
Agreed.. Any town with an average HH income of about 130k isnt going to be blue collar..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 11:33 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Cranford Floods.................
Thanks. We know. We just went through it (minor) a few days ago. But a lot of the town is safe from flooding.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:36 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandweller13 View Post
I drover through and all around cranford the other day and quite frankly I didn't think it was "nice" at all. It looked somewhat run down and i got the impression it's a blue collar town. I don't see any major difference vs bay ridge or SI.

You must have been in the one "bad" part of Cranford. The one us Cranfordites (Cranfordians? I never know) all make fun of.

You seriously have the very wrong idea of Cranford and I doubt you drove "through and all around" Cranford because if you did, you would not get that image. Even driving through the supposedly "hood, poor" south side (hint: it's neither… it's more jokes, but not very funny ones) would not give you that image. Are you trolling, for real?

Old 05-03-2014, 05:35 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthayakobchuk View Post
There's actually a jitney that goes from Livingston to South Orange train station. But I'm not completely sure how the commute would work from there so I don't want to give any potentially false information. Plus the jitney is $2/each way or $70/month, which is another cost to factor in.
From South Orange, the train goes to Newark Broad, not Newark Penn. The simplest commute in that case would be to stay on the train until Penn Station, and catch the 2 or 3 train to Wall Street. (With the bus, you'd take it to the PABT and catch the A or C downtown, or possibly the E, depending on where exactly the job is located).

Of course, the cheapskate way is to take the #31 bus directly to Newark Penn, and then catch the PATH, but that would take too long (You'd easily be talking about an hour on the bus, plus 22 minutes on the PATH, plus all the walking and waiting time, and cushion time for delays, which would probably put you close to 2 hours).

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandweller13 View Post
There's early and there's EARLY. I personally work in FiDi and live in Brooklyn. I have to be at my desk at 7:15-7:30am. I am really not a morning person so it hurts. Right now I am able to make it if I roll out of bed at 6:30 and catch a cab (from Brooklyn) which makes my life bearable. If I lived in westfield/cranford I woud have to wake up 30 minutes earlier to catch 6:25am train. If I had to wake up even earlier than that on a daily basis for no good reason (other than wife wanting "suburban feel") I'd probably reconsider my values... if you know what i mean. But to each his own.
In the grand scheme of things, waking up at 5:30 - 6AM and catching a 6:25 train isn't particularly early. Most construction jobs require you to be at work at 7AM sharp.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:07 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post

In the grand scheme of things, waking up at 5:30 - 6AM and catching a 6:25 train isn't particularly early. Most construction jobs require you to be at work at 7AM sharp.
id wake up earlier if I could get home earlier. Im not someone that cares so much about getting tons of sleep so id rather take the extra time with the family in the evening than sleep later. unfortunately, a lot of people I know who wake up bright and early for their nyc commute don't get home until late.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:01 PM

3 posts, read 4,842 times
Thanks for your responses, everyone!

We are definitely not interested in moving to Brooklyn-- perhaps we would be, but like some other posts mentioned it is not within our budget.

And yes, my husband is well aware of how early he has to wake up. It's not a problem for him.

I'm curious about the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidskin View Post
A little known secret is the 5:46AM departure from Cranford that goes to Hoboken directly. From there, the ferry or PATH will be a nice trip to FiDi. PATH from Hoboken to WTC is considerably more comfortable than PATH from Newark to WTC, trust me.
Since I don't know much about the schedules-- is this type of thing normal? Like each station has just one departure time that goes straight to Hoboken? What is the easiest/most user-friendly resource for finding out about these "little known secrets"? Cutting the time to WTC down from 22 minutes to 10 sounds great to me. So thanks for the tip!!

Old 05-08-2014, 01:22 PM

8 posts, read 15,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MgrantM View Post
Thanks for your responses, everyone!

We are definitely not interested in moving to Brooklyn-- perhaps we would be, but like some other posts mentioned it is not within our budget.

And yes, my husband is well aware of how early he has to wake up. It's not a problem for him.

I'm curious about the following:

Since I don't know much about the schedules-- is this type of thing normal? Like each station has just one departure time that goes straight to Hoboken? What is the easiest/most user-friendly resource for finding out about these "little known secrets"? Cutting the time to WTC down from 22 minutes to 10 sounds great to me. So thanks for the tip!!
not sure you're cutting it down any, in fact, it might be longer (have to consider NWK > HOB on RVL train). This would also be more costly. The 5:46 is a scheduled trip, you'd see it on the printed schedules. Good luck.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:34 PM

3 posts, read 4,842 times
Gotcha. I actually just found the pdf schedule. http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0060.pdf which is answering all the questions I didn't know I had. It looks like it would be roughly the same amount of time, give or take a minute or two. Thanks!

Old 05-09-2014, 08:06 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times
We all transfer at Newark Penn, but I switch to the PATH to JSQ. Home to JSQ is about 35-40 minutes daily but I live within walking distance of the train. From there it's 15-20 minutes to FiDi. The bigger question that others have raised is how long your walk is once you get out of the train.

Cranford definitely floods though, so you can either plan for it now or deal with it later. Have a look at the evacuation map (Township of Cranford - Police Department - www.cranford.com) and avoid buying a house in the zone. The other plan is not putting anything in your basement that you don't mind throwing out and replacing.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:05 PM

99 posts, read 285,562 times
I used to leave out of the Union station and got into work an hour and 1/2. Then I started driving to Jersey City, parking at Liberty State park and taking the light rail/ferry in and got down to a 45 minute trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey