Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 10:16 AM

968 posts, read 1,141,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzorrilla View Post
It’s been around 5 years since you posted this but hopefully you didn’t choose Westfield. I live here. Sure it’s a nice place but once you get settled.. yikes. I go to Westfield high school and it’s not a good place to send your children to. Everyone at the school is entitled and stuck up, you will get bullied if you don’t smoke or drink like the other kids, and no one is nice. Everyone is always gossiping and in people’s business, unlike me I avoid all of that because my freshman year I was bullied about wearing makeup and rumors were spread about me. There’s never not a day where nobody is being a holes.. and the teachers there could care less if the student is doing good mentally they rather want you at school always and if you do talk about your feelings and if your depressed etc they’ll do literally nothing to help you and they will put you in special education regardless of how smart you are.
Another satisfied, well rounded reluctant Jersey resident. Don't ever let anyone try to talk you out of getting the hell out of dodge. Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 02:34 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,892 times
So funny, how different perceptions and experiences are. We live in Berkeley Heights, which another poster was railing on. When we moved here, my daughter was just starting 6th grade, and we all know (or most of us know) how awful middle school girls can be. First day of school, she came home with nothing but good words about how nice everyone was. Just this past Thursday night, she reiterated that sentiment. She said (and this is nearly word-for-word), "I'm so glad we ended up in this place. Mostly because of the people. Everyone here is so nice." We had just come from a meeting with girls from surrounding towns - New Providence, Chatham, Florham Park, Millburn/Short Hills and Summit.

As an adult leader, when they forget I'm in the room, they'll sometimes say inappropriate things - usually about boys, lol - but they really are pretty kind to each other. Very little of the back-stabbing, gossipy, I'm-better-than-you nonsense that I've seen elsewhere. Now, it could just be this particular group of girls is nicer than average, but even if that's the case, it shows that there are nice people here. Find the good ones, and ignore the rest.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:51 PM

8 posts, read 8,541 times
My wife and I recently moved to a modest house in Madison and love it. We looked at all the towns mentioned in this thread. Pretty sure you can't "go wrong" with any of them. While I'm certain "snobbery" does exist here and in every town, we haven't yet encountered it and have found everyone we've met down to earth and friendly.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:41 PM

34 posts, read 53,640 times
These are personally my favorite towns in New Jersey!
15. Lambertville (City) Hunterdon County
Residential

Businesses

14. Caldwell (Borough) Essex County
Residential

Businesses

13. Parsippany (Township) Morris County
Residential

Businesses

12. Maplewood (Township) Essex County
Residential

Businesses

11. Woodbridge (Township) Middlesex County
Residential

Businesses

10. Hanover (Township) Morris County
Residential

Businesses

9. Rumson (Borough) Monmouth County
Residential

Businesses

8. Madison (Borough) Morris County
Residential

Businesses

7. Riverton (Borough) Burlington County
Residential

Businesses

6. Glen Ridge (Borough) Essex County
Residential

Businesses

5. Princeton (Borough) Mercer County
Residential

Businesses

4. Westfield (Town) Union County
Residential

Businesses

3. Millburn (Township) Essex County
Residential

Businesses

2. Morristown (Town) Morris County
Residential

Businesses

1. South Orange (Village) Essex County
Residential

Businesses

Hope the pictures help!
Good Luck!

Old 02-09-2019, 07:52 PM

968 posts, read 1,141,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christophermuniz1993 View Post
These are personally my favorite towns in New Jersey!
15. Lambertville (City) Hunterdon County
Residential

Businesses

14. Caldwell (Borough) Essex County
Residential

Businesses

13. Parsippany (Township) Morris County
Residential

Businesses

12. Maplewood (Township) Essex County
Residential

Businesses

11. Woodbridge (Township) Middlesex County
Residential

Businesses

10. Hanover (Township) Morris County
Residential

Businesses

9. Rumson (Borough) Monmouth County
Residential

Businesses

8. Madison (Borough) Morris County
Residential

Businesses

7. Riverton (Borough) Burlington County
Residential

Businesses

6. Glen Ridge (Borough) Essex County
Residential

Businesses

5. Princeton (Borough) Mercer County
Residential

Businesses

4. Westfield (Town) Union County
Residential

Businesses

3. Millburn (Township) Essex County
Residential

Businesses

2. Morristown (Town) Morris County
Residential

Businesses

1. South Orange (Village) Essex County
Residential

Businesses

Hope the pictures help!
Good Luck!
What pictures?

Old 02-10-2019, 08:54 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val_1129 View Post
Hello, first time user on here. I am a recently divorced mother of 2 kids, who do not begin school until 2016. I relocated from Wall Twp, NJ to Watchung. For no particular reason other than Avalon apartments had a location in Watchung with an immediate move in date. I am looking for what everyone is looking for, a beautiful suburban town, with a great school, and short (under 90 minute) commute to city.

After many late nights of searching through here I have come upon Westfield, Summit, and New Providence. Which are all very close to me now, giving me the opportunity to drive through. Westfield really stands out to me, although I have a lingering concern of moving to a town with significant wealth, that my children are going to be raised among, entitled, little pompous a-holes. I grew up very modestly and have done well for myself, I know there are great suburban towns where everyone doesn't have their noses up in the air. Just don't want to make a mistake in choosing one. A sense of community is very important to me. So here are my questions...

Is Westfield as ideal as it appears?
Are there any properties with more than .2 acres of land that won't cost me upwards of 1 million?
Does the high school have a genuine interest in helping children prepare for future, or do they merely shuffle kids in and out?
What is the general feel of current residents in Westfield?
Any other towns to recommend....?
I think you have it right there close to you. New Providence.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:06 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,772,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
When I lived in Cranford, many locals described the town as..."Westfield without the attitude".

We just call it “East Garwood”

Old 02-11-2019, 02:18 PM

116 posts, read 234,889 times
I recently moved to West Orange and a dozen friends all emailed me this article about the house on Westfield within a week of moving to the state.

https://www.thecut.com/2018/11/the-h...ew-jersey.html

Its a long read and I am sure others can comment on the story, I took a drive to Westfield this weekend and wanted to check out the area lol. Its a nice town with Upper East Side New Yorkers who still want to be treated as if they live in the Upper East Side. That's the vibe I got
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey