Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 04:29 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The NY Times article explains it better. But basically, PA money has to be spent for PA facilities. The argument used for the Pulaski was that it is an access road to the Lincoln Tunnel. No, not the Holland.
So...the governor's staff is as badly impaired in terms of map reading as they are in terms of ethics?
What an administration!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 06:08 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,708,690 times
This is nothing more than trying to get him on something.

Sort of like Al Capone on tax evasion.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:00 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The NY Times article explains it better. But basically, PA money has to be spent for PA facilities. The argument used for the Pulaski was that it is an access road to the Lincoln Tunnel. No, not the Holland.
Yeah, because supposedly for some obscure reason the PA can spend money for Lincoln Tunnel access roads but not Holland Tunnel access roads. But I've never seen the original sources for these claims; for all I know they're nonsense too, invented by people within the PA who didn't want to spend the money. It's not the original charter; that's silent about "access roads" and says the PA can pretty much do anything related to transportation within the "port district", which encompasses the Pulaski.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:08 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Yeah, because supposedly for some obscure reason the PA can spend money for Lincoln Tunnel access roads but not Holland Tunnel access roads. But I've never seen the original sources for these claims; for all I know they're nonsense too, invented by people within the PA who didn't want to spend the money. It's not the original charter; that's silent about "access roads" and says the PA can pretty much do anything related to transportation within the "port district", which encompasses the Pulaski.
It's more likely that the governance documents for the PA contain details invented by the politicians in power at any given time who had their hands in running the agency. There have been amendments to the compact over the years, likely to benefit one governor or another. It doesn't matter except that if the people after Christie can make a case that bondholders were deceived, they can file charges or a suit. There's a bunch of highly-paid lawyers working on both sides to interpret those governance documents.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post

Well, yes, that's always what it's been. As Al Capone's ghost can tell you, sometimes they are successful. We shall see.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:52 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,627,203 times
The Holland Tunnel existed before the creation of the PA that is why they can not spend money on roads leading to the Holland Tunnel.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:39 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
The Holland Tunnel existed before the creation of the PA that is why they can not spend money on roads leading to the Holland Tunnel.
But CCs a lawyer and has certainly read documents like charters and incorporation papers before.

As with Bridgegate, awarding of Sandy contracts to the HIGHEST bidders, not caring about putting a rail tunnel under the Hudson and re-working union contracts and then not funding their pensions - one theme prevails. This cholesterol-addled meathead does what HE wants to do. Damn the annoying laws or precedents. He acts like a king with his helicopter rides, prancing around the country while NJ sinks lower and the fake tough guy act against female teachers. Turns out Christie-nomics are a scam and the emperor has no clothes.

Last edited by EBWick; 06-25-2014 at 05:48 AM..

Old 06-25-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Not exactly. The PA existed before the tunnel did, but the tunnel was built and first operated under another authority. The result is the same as you say.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:31 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
What kind of irritates me the most is that we will continue to fund Christie's administration through taxes and PA through tolls for this investigation to complete. OTOH, aren't there more important transportation issues for the PA to handle now. Look at the sorry state of PA bus terminal for several years. Additionally, if its high time for the Pulaski to be widened and reconstructed, cant either side work things out instead of finger pointing so that the job is completed in a quick and productive manner.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:34 AM

279 posts, read 461,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post

This implies that the government should never have gone after Al Capone in the first place...........don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the Democrats, they're even worse than the Republicans in this state. I do not believe that Christie's "scandals" are the result of him trying to punish Democrats, rather I believe they're the result of him playing along with the Democratic machine in this state because that's what any governor of New Jersey is forced to do. This is a corrupt, one-party state..........kind of like the old Soviet Union (I'm only semi-joking here).

Anyway, what I don't understand about the whole "Pulaski Skyway is not a connector to the Lincoln Tunnel" argument is this.........why didn't they just say it was a connector to the Holland (which it is, obviously)? Both tunnels are owned and operated by the Port Authority..........so why didn't they just say yeah, it's a connector to the Holland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: