Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 02:34 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
In my summer/beach area, the majority of the summer tourists are from NYC. The locals call them Citiots. I say "them" because I don't live in NYC so they can't possibly be talking about me. It's the same deal though. Low IQ, inbreds who's pride themselves on how man generations back their family goes in the area. People who have such a low self esteem that they have to put others down to make them feel better about themselves.
Oh please, where you live and where you vacation now determine IQ?

For the record, I have a graduate degree, not exactly a low IQ.

And if you want to feel someone is being put down, for being identified as a tourist go ahead. It isn't derogatory, it is factual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I see, you want a private beach and town. But when your home flooded you begged FEMA(which is funded by us taxpayers) because you didn't buy flood insurance, as you have stated numerous times to come and fix your house. Now after (we) fixed your home you come on the NJ forum to call us idiots for letting people come to the beaches. Go back to your isolated cave in NY.
The beach is public property, and it should be the same access for anyone whether they live nearby or not. If locals use a beach badge, so should tourists.

That being said, for the majority of towns in my county, most year round residents live away from the beach and did not flood let alone require FEMA assistance.

The notable widespread exceptions being Sea Bright and Union Beach.

Personally, I think we should do away completely with national flood insurance but that would be for another thread.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:41 PM

720 posts, read 1,709,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
The same reason it's legal to charge tolls on highways, or to charge for parking, or to charge admission to a national park. These are user fees. The maintenance of the beaches is not free. The other beach towns you listed may charge more in hotel taxes, rental taxes and fees, restaurant or gas taxes, or whatever. One way or another you're paying to use those beaches too.
Come to Oak Island, NC. Free beaches, free parking, and plenty of it :-D

Old 07-15-2014, 02:42 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD

In my summer/beach area, the majority of the summer tourists are from NYC. The locals call them Citiots. I say "them" because I don't live in NYC so they can't possibly be talking about me. It's the same deal though. Low IQ, inbreds who's pride themselves on how man generations back their family goes in the area. People who have such a low self esteem that they have to put others down to make them feel better about themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Oh please, where you live and where you vacation now determine IQ?

For the record, I have a graduate degree, not exactly a low IQ.

And if you want to feel someone is being put down, for being identified as a tourist go ahead. It isn't derogatory, it is factual.
"Citiot" (as in "and idiot from the city") is not meant in a derogatory way? Wow, I would like to see what you call people when you ARE being derogatory.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Doesn't anyone find it curious during the week a lot of these Benny haters clog the Parkway north for their $$$$ jobs in NORTH JERSEY? Maybe we need a term for these locals who have zero problems infesting North Jersey during the week for the money (Jersey Man and MQ excluded )
I don't work in North Jersey, I work in Monmouth Co and live here too. That is part of the mythology that drives so many people nuts, just because we live here does not mean we work in north jersey or rely on tourist dollars.

I work for a federal agency doing research. We are located here in Monmouth Co and I work for the county as well. Neither position which is funded remotely by tourist dollars, including property taxes.

The majority of people I know are the same. My best friends husband used to have his own business in Union, but he moved his offices to Brick about 10 years ago. So he is no longer clogging the parkway.

It doesn't make us better or worse, it is just a fact. So seriously, if you want to take your tourist money elsewhere there is no negative for many, many people here. That being said, we have nice beaches, you should come and enjoy them whenever you like, if you want to, no biggie if you don't, and just like the locals have to, you should have to buy a beach badge. That should be the end of it.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Doesn't anyone find it curious during the week a lot of these Benny haters clog the Parkway north for their $$$$ jobs in NORTH JERSEY? Maybe we need a term for these locals who have zero problems infesting North Jersey during the week for the money (Jersey Man and MQ excluded )
I don't work in North Jersey, I work in Monmouth Co and live here too. That is part of the mythology that drives so many people nuts, just because we live here does not mean we work in north jersey or rely on tourist dollars.

I work for a federal agency doing research. We are located here in Monmouth Co and I work for the county as well. Neither position which is funded remotely by tourist dollars, including property taxes.

The majority of people I know are the same. My best friends husband used to have his own business in Union, but he moved his offices to Brick about 10 years ago. So he is no longer clogging the parkway.

It doesn't make us better or worse, it is just a fact. So seriously, if you want to take your tourist money elsewhere there is no negative for many, many people here. Should we trade stories? You complain about people working in NYC or NNJ and I can show you hundreds of pictures of the garbage the tourists leave all over the beaches. But what does that prove? The majority of tourists are nice people, that respect the beach as much as the locals do. It is a small subset of obnoxious ones that give others a bad name. But this myth that all the locals need to be grateful for the almighty benny dollar is just that, a myth.

That being said, we have nice beaches, you should come and enjoy them whenever you like, if you want to, no biggie if you don't, and just like the locals have to, you should have to buy a beach badge. That should be the end of it as far as I am concerned.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I got scammed by FEMA. FEMA immediately after SANDY sent everyone on block checks for $3,700 for housing assistance folks with flood and without flood. Assumption everyone house on my block unliivable.
I called FEMA number attched to find a hotel. From there they sent inspector to my house I signed a few forms in front of inspector and got rest of funds. No backsies. Like a timeshare. Is what it is. And I got no hotel room either, just a ploy.

Spring Lake beachs are not free!!! They are ten bucks a person, and do not allow coolers on beach, parking is tight. You have to drag your own chairs to sand. And cant even bring a bottle of soda with you.

That beach is expensive. All together I had 11 people at my beach two weeks ago and since I can bring guests in for free. it was a bargain. at ten bucks a person that would be $110 bucks.

Beaches that charge by car are only family friendly beaches. Any beach that charges by person is not family friendly.

I would say the best beach value is the Rockaways. Quick subway train ride to a free beach. Jersey beaches also lack public transportation which is an issue. Some beach towns have a free shuttle bus. I was in Delray Beach Florida last year and the beach was spotless and free and town had a free cab service you could call and pick you up and take you to restuarants and bar and the beach. It was great.
Ugh, please stop already. FEMA scammed you?? Please, pleas go away.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:04 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You mean like "piney"? It happens, eh.
Shore residents usually aren't called Pineys unless they live on the other side of the bay, not on a barrier island or in a beach town. I've never heard anyone call a resident of an oceanfront beach town a piney, that name is saved for more inland Ocean County residents. I know people who live in Bayville and that general area, they call themselves pineys. One person I know grew up on the border of Double Trouble State Park, on a dirt road, she has choice words and names for herself but it's all in good fun.

I don't care that people in all vacation/tourist areas have names for tourists. It's disrespectful. You keep saying that YOU personally don't live off tourist's money, well probably not. If you don't own a business, you don't rely on tourists, but beach towns rely on tourists for the town as a whole. If it weren't for thousands of summer visitors, beach towns would lose a ton of money, especially barrier island towns. If your town charges for parking, it's earning money from the so called "bennies." If it charges for beach use, it's earning money from the bennies. Imagine if the bennies all stopped coming (like what people in the beach areas were afraid would happen post-Sandy)… your town would lose thousands, if not more, so would the individuals who own businesses. How would that work out for the town? I'm sure not so great. Beach towns rely on summer revenue, some maybe more than others, but it is probably the most important aspect of beach town economies.

If you don't like the tourists, move out. Like it or not, people are going to come to the beach. Calling them names because you made the decision to live somewhere that gets very popular in the summer is not fair nor is it right. You'll probably disagree, but I don't consider myself a tourist anyway. I live a half hour from the nearest beach. I have family spread throughout beach and bayside towns in Ocean and Monmouth Counties, and I visit the beach towns all year round not just in the summer. I'm not a tourist to my state's beaches, like I don't consider myself to be a tourist to NYC because I live only 20 miles away. I'm simply not a beach town resident. I'm allowed to use any beach or amenity like a resident would be. And yes - my money does support your town and probably some of your friends or neighbors if they own businesses.

I have family in Pt. Pleasant Beach, like I said who live right on Rt. 35 (excuse me, Richmond Avenue ) and they complain about "bennies" in the summer who clog up the highway they chose to live on. I can only feel so bad for them. Please. Those bennies saved Pt. Beach after Sandy by still coming and spending money there. And I know many "bennies" who volunteered in shore towns post-Sandy, in some cases because they have a second home at the beach and were just helping out their second home and their neighbors. We love the beaches just as much as residents do. Can't we just get along?? We all live in the same small state. It's not like this is California or Alaska, I am very familiar with much of the state and the large majority of the coast. Enough of this ridiculous "benny" crap.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:07 PM

814 posts, read 2,043,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I am not whining for me. For the future homeowner even 100 years from now who buys my home and could get screwed.

The Department of Homeland Security is in charge of FEMA and NFIP. FEMA grants are tax payerfunded and NFIP is funding by flood insurance payments.

FEMA grants subsidizes NFIP big time. Why the FEMA grant is a low figure which if home insured by NFIP would be liable for more. Than the FEMA grant person has to buy flood insurance after flood and lighting rarely hits twice and NFIP who paid nothing out to someone like me collects my insurance premiums and gives it to others.

Other misconception is somehow my payment was paid by others. I had a 30K estimated tax payment due a few weeks after Sandy which basically ment Uncle same gave me a check for around 30K and a few weeks later I wrote them a check for 30K.

FEMA is a GREAT BUSINESS MODEL. I would have love to personally cut checks for 30K to everyone in Katrina to have a cash flow of 3K a years forever to the dawn of time and if folks stop sending me checks I demand whole 30K back but dont refund the 3k a year they keep sending me.

Europe is considering making Flood Insurance Mandatory for EVERYONE who owns a home regardless of location. That way the costs will be very very low. If you want we can do that here.

FEMA Is also weird as if FORCES everyone to apply. Insured or not insured. My property tax deduction due to sandy was based on FEMA, chariities and stuff require a FEMA number. Even my Macys and Bed Bath and Beyond Sandy Discounts required a FEMA number. I waived my stupid FEMA number all over.

Some nice ladies had hot donated dunkng dunuts coffee that came by one day when I was gutting house and once again they were working off FEMA information.

I find it resentful that FAT CHRIS CHRISTIE had tax payer paid commercials out of Disaster funds to show his bloated butt on beach all summer. Why did I have to pay for that? Who wants to visit a beach that Chris Chrities butt was on the sand.
So lets say superstorm sandy never happened. Please correct me if I am wrong you would still have to have paid 30K in estimated taxes on income earned/property taxes due or was it somehow storm related? Except now you would not have received that 30K from the government/FEMA (which is taxpayer "paid by others" funded) to pay your estimated taxes I can't see how estimated taxes have anything whatsoever to do with a natural disaster. You would have had to withdrawal that 30K from your own business or personal account?

The NFIP is in the "RED" at least $20 Billion to the Taxpayer. NFIP is using taxpayer money to cover all the claims they pay out. they did not collect enough in premiums to cover all their costs so the taxpayer is "loaning" the NFIP money to pay covered damages. This is why they are raising the premium prices all across the country. FEMA wants to try and make the NFIP cover its own expenses.

As for worrying about about the future homeowner paying for NFIP coverage. what happens when the house gets hit by 10 more hurricanes in the next 100 years. as long as the premiums are paid the losses will be covered. if that's not the case them once the NFIP pays back the taxpayer loans the Premiums will decrease as mandated by law.

as for lightning never striking twice you never can tell. But perhaps you would like to read this article on the history of tropical storms/hurricanes to hit the NJ/NYC area all within the last 100 years.

NYC Hazards: NYC Hurricane History

did ya read about the house in Mississippi that the NFIP has paid out 34 claims on since 1978? "lighting struck" them 34 times! house worth 69,000 claims paid out over 34 flood claims $663,000.

I personally know of two NJ homeowners who applied for and received FEMA aid. Neither one of them were forced to apply for FEMA aid. When FEMA came knocking on their door offering aid, they took them up on their offer for aid. In my opinion since they pay taxes it would be a dumb move not to apply for FEMA aid.

How was it you were forced to apply for aid? Why couldn't you have paid for all your sandy expenses out of pocket and not taken any sandy tax deductions? Why not tell FEMA you did not want any free government money/aid.
Honestly, If my property was damaged by Sandy I would have also taken the free grants and money if FEMA came offering it to me. I wouldn't consider it "forced" aid but I would rather think of it like this: I pay taxes too so I will take what they are offering.

I do agree with ya about Gov Christie. after all he is a politician. Politicians control FEMA so that is another problem in itself.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:29 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
I dont get the attitude on this thread. Regardless of the negative way people are choosing to interpret the poster's words or whatever trigger he's accidentally hit, the man lost his home, his memories maybe, was displaced for new knows how long. and without a car, and everyone's jumping on his back trying to knock his down a peg for some reason. I find a severe lack of compassion. I don't know one single person in real life who is going to turn down needed funds on principle. If you feel taken advantage of by a boss or feel underpaid, do you refuse your paycheck? Make no sense to me. I am very grateful that I was spared that hardship and stupid bureaucratic BS and hoops people had to jump though, and I'm not about to judge how someone who wasn't as lucky has coped with it or handled it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey