Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 07:30 PM

31 posts, read 101,473 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I am on a info-mission for a family---we are wondering--who handles cable hookups in Newton? Are they reasonable priced? They are looking for family-friendly TV--an extended basic package. No cares about 100 sports channels or 20 different HBO channels.

Also, they are considering a satellite dish, but I heard they go out at the least little wind or snow storm? Is that true? Again, who would they contact?

Finally, anyone have direct TV? How is that?

Sorry for all the questions...they have basic analog cable still, but may want to upgrade when they move.

Thanks!

M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 07:52 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,858 times
I have DirecTV and it is absolutely great.
I have rarely ever lost a signal in the seven years that I have had it, and this is the reason why---it MUST be attached to the roof. Not a tree. Not a pole. Not the front yard...THE ROOF.
We have had 50 mph gusts over the past few days and I have not had one problem.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:29 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,631,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurie12 View Post
Hi all!

I am on a info-mission for a family---we are wondering--who handles cable hookups in Newton? Are they reasonable priced? They are looking for family-friendly TV--an extended basic package. No cares about 100 sports channels or 20 different HBO channels.

Also, they are considering a satellite dish, but I heard they go out at the least little wind or snow storm? Is that true? Again, who would they contact?

Finally, anyone have direct TV? How is that?

Sorry for all the questions...they have basic analog cable still, but may want to upgrade when they move.

Thanks!

M
I've had Dish Network which was very good until I had a problem with one of their switches which they would not replace without charge. I was a customer for over 3 years and they wouldn't budge on a $50.00 switch. I had Directv for aprox. another 3 years, I had numerous issues with them especially after I switched to their high def. service. They installed the new Ku/Ka dish and I had lots of problems. I had their technicians to my home on 5 occasions and they couldn't resolve any of the issues. The installers from Directech were clueless. Also be aware that if you consider any of the satellite providers you need to have a clear unobstructed view of the south west sky for reception. They may also require that you enter into a two year commitment. I currently switched back to cablevision and so far so good.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:41 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
I have DirecTV and it is absolutely great.
I have rarely ever lost a signal in the seven years that I have had it, and this is the reason why---it MUST be attached to the roof. Not a tree. Not a pole. Not the front yard...THE ROOF.
We have had 50 mph gusts over the past few days and I have not had one problem.
i love my directv too. the only issue is sometimes when it snows - we spray the dish with PAM prior to a storm and the snow slides right off (obviously we have access to it). wind doesn't affect service.

i hated comcast - way too expensive, and lots of reception problems.

directv is way cheaper than comcast too - we have 150 channels with 8 HBO's, 1 HDTV with an HD-DVR (with an obscene amount of HD channels), 2 other TV's with TIVO and the cost is about $90/mo.

i can't comment on dish.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:11 AM

Pam on your dish?!?!?! (I get this picture in my head of Chevy Chase sliding down a hill)
With all of the snow storms that we have encountered over the past seven years it was actually an ice storm that stopped reception for a few hours.
We have TiVO and are thinking about getting a second TiVo box.
The extra science channels and Discovery channels are worth the price alone.
Cable and the cable companies are awful.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:30 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
I had DirectTV. It was good and the price was effective...

I absolutely HATED rain fade. No signal with moderate to heavy rain.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:55 AM

622 posts, read 3,113,306 times
Do they have access to Verizon? Verizon Fios is supposed to have the best quality High Definition channels out there. They also have "superfast" internet access and unlimited phone service in a bundle right now for $90 or so a month for all three services. You need a one or two year subscription for that though.

I have cable now. I don't have Verizon, but will switch in time. I'm waiting for their HD line up to get bigger before I make the switch. I'm an HD buff. I pay $175 or so for Cable/internet/phone for a few TV's DVR etc.. So, I'll take the two year deal for a fraction of that price.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:07 PM

173 posts, read 818,910 times
I have a FIOS even though I don't have an HD tv yet - but thinking ahead. For the combo of the high-speed internet and cable tv, the price was better than Comcast. Also, because it's new FIOS throws more incentives at you and appear to be nice. I'm sure once they are established, they will turn into the bureacratic jackholes that all utilities are ... but for now, they've been easy to work with. Satellite was not an option because of trees.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:09 PM

Verizon can put out all of the packages that they wish, and so can the cable companies, but none of them will offer the amount of channels that DirecTV offers.
None of them offer the Sunday Ticket football package.
None of them offer the amount of history and science channels that DirecTV does.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:21 PM

622 posts, read 3,113,306 times
http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=55951

Verizon ^^^ plans 5 fold increase in HD channels. 150 HD channels by end of 08. Again, they do have better quality HD than the other providers. I'm not jumping on board until they get more HD channels, so hopefully this will do it.

The OP didn't care for sports channels. Everyone should get their service for their own needs. Mine is HD channels, yours may be sports. Others may be international channels.

I do think they'll all have "enough" channels to provide at some point. When all the dust settles, it will be down to picture quality, and Verizon has the best in that regard. The other providers compress their signals too much and rob you from an ideal "HD" image. They're getting too greedy in wanting to put many (HD) channels on their service and lump them together for reduced quality. Verizon is doing something different and is not compromising this quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey