Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 08:13 AM

4 posts, read 4,345 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I've read some great posts here which have helped us find out about the area but would love some advice about an area that would suit us.

We are moving out to New Jersey before the end of the year so my wife can take a job in Parsippany and I can look for a job once we are out there.

We're looking to rent for at least a year to get to know the areas better but want to find a good neighborhood to really get a feel for the area. Some key facts:

Budget - under 3000 a month (I hope!)
House - multi-family, townhome or single family home with 2 beds and outside space a plus
Also - Walkable to a nice/vibrant/lively downtown area is a must for me as this is something we've always had living in York in the UK, parking for 2 cars, short commute to Parsippany

Schools aren't important to us at all so it would be nice to find somewhere that isn't charging us too much for a school system we're not using!

From the forums and a very short trip to the area Morristown and Montclaire both look nice but are there other/better areas we should consider?

Thanks for the help!

Ben
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 09:09 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,983,050 times
Morristown and Montclair both have the kind of downtown that you describe. However, the commute from Montclair isn' really short; more like 30 minutes if you're not travelling in rush hour (and depending on exact location in Parsippany -- it's relatively large and is bisected by major highways with congestion, so getting to the far west parts could add significant time), and probably closer to 40-45 minutes.

Morristown is closer, and I think you can get something in your price range. The schools have mixed reviews, but taxes are relatively decent and you won't be paying a premium to be in the school district.

For a smaller downtown that's even closer to Parsippany, you could also take a look at Denville.

(by the way, visited York a few years ago -- what a great and beautiful, one of my all-time favorite places that I have visited)

Last edited by HalfFull; 07-28-2014 at 09:40 AM..

Old 07-28-2014, 09:16 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,233,445 times
Walkable downtown is going to be your biggest sticking point, as Parsippany is pretty far out in the suburbs. Morristown and Montclair are both great choices, as you've already discovered. Maplewood and South Orange are similar to Montclair and have a lot of what you're looking for as well. They have walkable downtowns and are a bit cheaper than other, similar towns due to having a decent but not top-of-the-line school system. (Compare Madison, Chatham, Millburn or Ridgewood, which also have everything you want but are pricier because their schools are among the best in the country.)

Morristown is the choice closest to Parsippany, however, and I don't see much reason not to choose Morristown.

None of those places is going to be quite like York in terms of walkable downtowns, but they're the best you'll find in suburban New Jersey.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:14 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,300 times
You'll like Morristown for the reasons people mentioned. Plus being English you'll learn that Gen. George Washington and his troops almost froze & starved to death in 1780 at Jockey Hollow. Some men roasted their old shoes or ate tree bark it got so bad.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:18 AM

19,132 posts, read 25,341,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
You'll like Morristown for the reasons people mentioned. Plus being English you'll learn that Gen. George Washington and his troops almost froze & starved to death in 1780 at Jockey Hollow. Some men roasted their old shoes or ate tree bark to eat it got so bad.

Well...actually, George & Martha were warm & well-fed, as they stayed with the well-to-do Ford family in their very comfortable home, several miles from Jockey Hollow.

However, the troops--who didn't have the luxury of those nice accommodations--did suffer miserably. While Valley Forge is better-known by most folks, the winter at Jockey Hollow was undoubtedly worse for the troops.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:44 PM

107 posts, read 195,943 times
I would definitely look into Summit and Madison as well as the two you mentioned, both are very nice and have great downtowns.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:00 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,854,577 times
Will you have a car?

Public transportation choices for Parsippany seem few. www.njtransit.com
Looks like the 79 bus goes from Parsippany to Newark Penn Station, & the 871 bus goes from Morristown to Hanover to Parsippany, Montville, Boonton, Wayne.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:44 AM

Thanks for the great replies.

Maplewood, South Orange and Denville will go on our list of places to check-out

My wife will be commuting to north west of Parsippany just off the 80 so this might make Montclair a bit far but will be fine from Morristown as we'll both be driving

We've already looked at Madison and found it a bit sleepy but will give Summit a look too though it may stretch our price range!

Very sad to be leaving York but it seems like there are some great choices out here too!

Ben

Old 07-29-2014, 07:08 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,300 times
You can even look at towns like Ringwood (very scenic & country for NJ) or Oakland which are north of Parsippany on 287. Just watch out for flood zones in Oakland. I'd even consider towns like Wyckoff or Allendale. I did the commute from there to Parsippany in around 40-45 mins.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:06 AM

So it seems the company may be changing their minds and moving us to to Montvale, would Ridgewood be a similar choice to Morristown in that area. Thanks for the additional help, now we'll have options wherever they end up sending us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey