Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New England or old England?
New England 59 69.41%
The UK 15 17.65%
Neither 11 12.94%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 08:54 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,398,360 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to gauge your opinions on this battle of the Englands, so to speak of.

I am from the UK originally, but now reside in New England. The climates of the 2 places are quite different. I'll break it down as follows:

- The UK tends to get more rain throughout the year, making it much greener all year round than here.
- New England has far more extremes of temperature (hotter summers and colder winters).
- The UK's weather is heavily influenced by the Gulf Stream

Personally, while I love the British climate, I have to say I prefer the climate here in New England. You're more guaranteed a decent summer and a longer summer, the winters are much colder, but aside from the more frequent snowfall, they're drier and the cold doesn't feel quite as piercing as the much damper cold of the UK, with frequent ground frosts and fog.

The New England climate is very bipolar temperature wise. It hit the mid 80's in March, then back down to the 40's. It's supposed to hit close to 90 tomorrow, then drop back down to the low 60's / upper 50's later in the week. This would never happen in the UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 09:18 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,410,464 times
New England in a heart beat. Summers are basically guaranteed and actually happen there, even a cooler than average one would feel like summer. England doesn't have anything that can be called a summer, save for a few days.

New England winters are sunnier than our "summers", so despite the cold, it wouldn't feel so bad. I bet it is a lot dryer and less windy also. It has real proper season changes, and much more variety of weather. Far more thunderstorms in summer.

Old England has a very tedious and gloomy climate of half baked weather and no storms, no summers.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:23 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Boston is quite a bit milder than further inland, especially if you go further north. It's even more bipolar out here. I did a similar thread about a year ago:

Climate Battle: Cambridge vs Cambridge

Old 04-15-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
New England in a heart beat. Summers are basically guaranteed and actually happen there, even a cooler than average one would feel like summer. England doesn't have anything that can be called a summer, save for a few days.

New England winters are sunnier than our "summers", so despite the cold, it wouldn't feel so bad. I bet it is a lot dryer and less windy also. It has real proper season changes, and much more variety of weather. Far more thunderstorms in summer.

Old England has a very tedious and gloomy climate of half baked weather and no storms, no summers.
I like both climates, but you're right about the cold being drier here. I dreaded experiencing daytime temps in the 20's, but it doesn't feel bad at all, unless it's really windy. 25 here feels like 40 in the UK. It snows much more frequently than the UK, but they're generally pros at clearing the roads. The only thing here is that some summer days can get insanely hot. Anything above 82 for me is uncomfortable.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Boston is quite a bit milder than further inland, especially if you go further north. It's even more bipolar out here. I did a similar thread about a year ago:

Climate Battle: Cambridge vs Cambridge
Good battle of the Cambridges, especially both are famous for their universities.

Boston is a tad milder than even here on the North Shore. I notice the trees bloomed about a week earlier on Boston Common than where I live in Beverly. Large cities tend to have their own microclimates to some extent.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:41 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,793,657 times
This is a difficult one for me. I hate cold more than I love heat, but southern New England is better than most of the old one seven or eight months of the year.

For me it would all depend on what we're comparing. London wins easily against places like Caribou, Maine, but I'd much rather live on Block Island or even New Haven, climatically speaking, than anywhere in the Cumbrian lake district.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:31 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,573,026 times
New England, away from southern areas, has the ideal four-season climate that I love and desire, with frequent winter snowfall and summer thunderstorms, and everything in between.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:47 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,996,087 times
New England definitely has the better territory. Most of it has a true four-season climate, there are a few good climates (in the north), and all of New England gets more snow than almost anywhere in old England. The more continental climate also lends itself to much better cold snaps in New England

Old 04-15-2012, 11:20 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,694,364 times
Overall I'd have to go with England over New England.. much milder winters overall with less snowfall and frosts but neither are even close to ideal.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:19 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,728,455 times
New England easily, I may even rank the worst climate there over the best in Old England (inhabited places, not Mt Washington ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather