Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 11:57 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
After 90 days on job training and endorsement from company

Why do you belittle blue collar workers?

School custodians do more than empty the trash.
There is also the electrical, repairs..you know blue collar manly stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 11:58 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
After 90 days on job training and endorsement from company

Why do you belittle blue collar workers?

School custodians do more than empty the trash.
There is also the electrical, repairs..you know blue collar manly stuff
why are you lying? i never belittled blue collar workers. i belittled your claim because you are making something minor seem like something major. either you are assuming people wont look it up, or you didnt previously know how easy it is to get this black seal license. im sure school custodians do great work.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:07 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
That is actually common sense, which is why it will never happen in NJ.

What floors me is that there are still so many who collect more then one pension. Isn't that something several governors promised to end?

And the sick buyout? Get rid of it. Sorry, but awarding someone for not taking off with $$$ is ludicrous. Not in this economy.
eliminating the sick buyout will just cause people to start taking sick days - frequently - leaving those departments short staffed and needing to hire more people. if people don't use vacation or sick time that they've earned, what's wrong with compensating them for it?

Old 07-31-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
I do agree that buyouts for allegedly unused sick or vacation days are ludicrous. Use it or lose it!
and what happens when you have a use it or lose it policy? pretending that the expense vanishes because you switch to use it or lose it is kind of insane. now, maybe they should properly value the time. sick time in 1985 when you made $20,000/yr should be valued differently than sick time from 2005 when you're making $80,000/yr towards the end of your career.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
The problem with sick days is if someone isn't happy with the buy out, they can always just use them until they're gone and still collect the money (for not working). Sick days should be capped and used for like donated sick life IF medically required.
from a management perspective, the best policy generally for sick days is to grant unlimited sick days. employees are shown to take less sick days when they don't have an alloted number of them. give employees 5 sick days, and once they deplete their vacation/personal days, they'll take some random days off and use up the sick days. but give employees sick days, and they're typically likely to only stay out sick when they are sick. what my company does is, one/two days being sick, usually no questions are asked. unless that happens a lot and around the day after st patrick's day, 4th of july, and labor day. but if you're out more than 2 days, your supervisor can ask for a doctor's note. the thought being, you can be under the weather for a day or two, but if you're out for 3/4/5 you should be sick enough to need to go to a doctor.

amazingly, very few people at my company stay out sick, but when they are sick, they don't feel pressured to come to the office and get everyone else sick.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:22 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
and what happens when you have a use it or lose it policy? pretending that the expense vanishes because you switch to use it or lose it is kind of insane. now, maybe they should properly value the time. sick time in 1985 when you made $20,000/yr should be valued differently than sick time from 2005 when you're making $80,000/yr towards the end of your career.
Agree and with most if not all accounting done by computer that would not be at all difficult to figure out

Old 07-31-2014, 12:28 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
now, maybe they should properly value the time. sick time in 1985 when you made $20,000/yr should be valued differently than sick time from 2005 when you're making $80,000/yr towards the end of your career.

It would be complicated but it could be done....personnel officer/HR would have to figure out over a course of a career what time was accrued or taken what year at what salary and then tally it up at the time of retirement. Obviously this would be much easier if they kept a running total each year instead of trying to calculate it at the time of retirement. Another issue is contractual language and how the accrual is specified....such terms would need to be renegotiated and could probably only be changed going forward.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:48 PM

239 posts, read 379,514 times
There also needs to be a minimum age for collecting a pension. A cop should not be able to retire at age 48 and collect the max pension amount for the rest of his life.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:54 PM

279 posts, read 461,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsx1187 View Post
I have been giving much thought to the modern day problem with pensions recently and it is certainly a perplexing issue. The Governor had only recently claimed it fixed only to declare the system bankrupt again a few years later. Pensions, originally created to draw people to otherwise low paying jobs and provide security upon retirement to those who served the citizens of the state. Since then two things have happened; first, wages for many of these positions have increased dramatically, making public service a sought after and often lucrative job, and second, pensions have increased exponentially to the point many now retire with large six-figure pensions paid in perpetuity.

The inherent problem with the pension system in New Jersey is pensions, while paid for by the state, are based off final compensation set by the local municipality. These towns has no incentive to control labor costs and are often even set by long time friends or even family members, creating a situation of inflated wages and leaving the state to pay an inflated pension total. Putting aside the overall high level of police pay in this state (and I will focus on police but this can be extrapolated to Fire, Educations, Municipal, and state employees alike) the system of pension based upon final compensation is the root of the pension system’s woes in NJ.

All too often state employees will work to get a promotion near the end of their career, work in that job for only a year or two to increase his/her pension payout before stepping aside to let the next man do the same thing. These chiefs are often not interested in public safety but rather in increasing their personal pensions at the end of a long career. Once this inflated figure is reached, public employees often retire to allow the next employee to achieve the same, elevated pension. Take for instance the Bayonne Police Chief who recently retired and was in the news for his $440K sick/vacation day payout. His pension, in perpetutity, will be roughly $163,000. (If someone can reasonably tell me how in any sane world he should be retiring with such a pension I'd love to hear it)

This practice must be curtailed through a system based upon uniform compensation tied to number of years served at each position and simultaneously eliminating the practice of collecting multiple pensions and collecting pensions while publicly employed. If an officer only serves as chief for two years it should be only recognized as two years in the pension system’s calculation, not thirty as is the case today. (I won't post the actually very rough sketch of a system I made but If you're interested you can find it here)

There is no such thing as common sense in New Jersey. It's against the law, just like every thing else in this damn communist state.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
It would be complicated but it could be done....personnel officer/HR would have to figure out over a course of a career what time was accrued or taken what year at what salary and then tally it up at the time of retirement. Obviously this would be much easier if they kept a running total each year instead of trying to calculate it at the time of retirement. Another issue is contractual language and how the accrual is specified....such terms would need to be renegotiated and could probably only be changed going forward.

well i would assume you can't do this retroactively due to contracts. but if they wanted to continue allowing sick day accrual without capping it, this is the change i would make going forward.

but really, I like unlimited sick time, but policies so that it's not abused. that's what i would ultimately push for in new contracts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey