Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2014, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 511 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I've been a long time reader, never poster - until now!

My girlfriend and I current live in Bayonne - our lease has been month to month for a while now and we are looking to get a new place (not a fan of the layout or landlord, but the rent is great).

We have a boxer mix - 40ish lbs (depends on her meal size haha). As I'm sure some of you are aware, that makes it tough. We've always had rental insurance through State Farm - which happens to cover our dog over liability (confirmed with our agent, waiting to recieve a letter to help our case).

We're young - late 20's - I work in Morristown while my gf works in Midtown Manhattan. So - a way to get to the city is obviously important - so living reasonably close to NJ Transit.

We've been looking in the $1600 range as we'd like to save to eventually buy a house. So far we've only really continued to look in Bayonne, but have began to consider other areas. Obviously, my gf loves places like South Orange or basically anywhere in Essex county that isn't Newark.

One thing we were thinking about is some of the places in East Orange that have closed off lots. I've seen via this site, that East Orange seems to be getting safer with passing years and is now below the national average in crime (barely).

Any thoughts on this or even suggestions on other areas to look? It's tough. Most of the general places don't allow pets and then when they do, they want ridicoulous rents or they're the size of a shoebox and look like they're straight out of 1960. This is why we've began to expand.

For what it's worth, we're a young caucasion/white (whatever you want to call us) couple. No idea if that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 08:19 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I see somebody on my street walking a boxer all the time, as well as people walking bigger dogs than that. There's an apartment complex here that is pet-friendly, and so is the condo complex in which I live.

We're a little too far away for you, though. (Monmouth County).

I'll suggest to you what I did when I was looking to rent with four cats. I put my own ad on Craigslist stating what I needed in terms of space and location, how much I could pay, and that I had the cats. I didn't want to waste my time asking landlords if they accepted pets--I decided to let them come to me, instead. I got three offers, and took one. The landlord had four cats of his own.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:05 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
What about Morristown.... Madison, Chatham.

Can you still catch a midtown direct from there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey