Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2014, 01:08 PM

22 posts, read 53,052 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Does anyone know if the East-end of Warren, near Berkeley Heights and Gillette, is considered a flood zone? I noticed that there are several tributaries from the river that flow through that section of town and was wondering if that area floods a lot during bad storms. Particularly the area off of Mountain Ave. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 05:09 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycage View Post
Hello,

Does anyone know if the East-end of Warren, near Berkeley Heights and Gillette, is considered a flood zone? I noticed that there are several tributaries from the river that flow through that section of town and was wondering if that area floods a lot during bad storms. Particularly the area off of Mountain Ave. Thanks in advance.

Here is a copy of the flood zone maps for Union Co, http://www.state.nj.us/njoem/program...dixi_union.pdf here is the one for Morris Co: http://www.state.nj.us/njoem/program...ixi_morris.pdf and for Somerset Co http://www.state.nj.us/njoem/program...i_somerset.pdf Since you are speaking of an area that spans the three counties. These maps are currently being updated and some of the flood zones are being expanded somewhat, so if your are looking at a place that is near a designated flood zone on these maps, be careful!

KoalaNJ

Old 08-05-2014, 08:37 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycage View Post
Hello,

MOST developed parts of the Eastern end of Warren are at an elevation such that they don't flood. If you drive through the area you will notice large variations in elevation.

You will also notice upon looking at a map that not only are there tributaries, but the whole Passaic River runs along the Northern border of the town. There are significant flood areas, but they mostly do not affect where homes actually are. However, there ARE some streets that do flood, mostly north of Mountain Ave where it flattens out.

Check the real FEMA Flood Maps from here: https://msc.fema.gov/portal/search

Note that their viewer is quite slow, let it load your previous click before you make the next click or it crashes. You can also download the map panels and open them as an image file.

As another note, there's a bunch of roads that don't exist shown on the flood map near Stirling Road, try not to get confused by them.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:36 PM

8 posts, read 10,011 times
Hi, I am a local realtor and I can also check the flood maps but need a specific address. Believe it or not, one house can be in the flood zone and the one next store can not be. You can reach me at robin.azcarraga@bhhsnj.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey