Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 02:51 PM

137 posts, read 183,057 times

Advertisements

Yeah well good luck with that!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 02:56 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist718 View Post
Looking for houses not older than 1985 approximately.

Yeah, that knocks out just about your whole list. For just about all the towns on your list, anything newer than 1985 will most likely be a bigger home and way out of your price range.

Simply put, you won't find the elements that I guess you liked about Old Bridge (like some newer homes) in your other target towns.

Personally, I wouldn't be too fixated on construction date. There are plenty of 40-60+ year old housed that have been well maintained and updated in those towns.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:54 PM

5,150 posts, read 3,760,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Someone needs a geography lesson on demographics.
Huh? You cannot compare Old Bridge to Manalapan or Marlboro. If you choose to live across the river your choices are limited if you want to stay on the Route 9 bus line. Not worth an extra few minutes? Move to Matawan.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:30 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Quote:
Alright so .... after all the reading and studying .... I have jotted down the following places to look for housing ...

West Orange
Montclair
Morristown
Rutherford
Maplewood
Cranford
Millburn
Short Hills
Summit
New Province
Berkley Heights
Chatham
Madison
Pompton Plains
Pequannock
Moris County
Middletown
East Brunswick

Any of these should be OFF my list considering what I was looking for?

thank you
Seriously for your budget, most of the towns on your list should be crossed off.

You'll never find something worth buying for 450k, plus the taxes will be a lot higher.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Not so bad. Like comparing East Orange to Livingston or Millburn. That's all.
Please re-read your own post.

You where comparing Old Bridge to Marlboro, like it was East Orange to Livingston/Millburn.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:34 PM

175 posts, read 248,803 times
yea, as of right now I see that only 2 towns would accommodate what I am looking for ... Old Bridge and Monroe

Old 08-25-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
yea, as of right now I see that only 2 towns would accommodate what I am looking for ... Old Bridge and Monroe
Monroe has a lot of 55+ developments. Not sure how the commute would be to NYC.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:10 PM

175 posts, read 248,803 times
Quote:
Monroe has a lot of 55+ developments. Not sure how the commute would be to NYC.
and so ... the winner is .... Old Bridge :-)

It's weird. Every other town I checked on zillow ... houses were either a mess, too expensive, very high taxes or bad commute. It seems like Old Bridge, houses near route 9 for the bus is like the best option. Can still get a decent 3br house with nice tree lined roads and a backyard for under 470K

Old 08-25-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
and so ... the winner is .... Old Bridge :-)

It's weird. Every other town I checked on zillow ... houses were either a mess, too expensive, very high taxes or bad commute. It seems like Old Bridge, houses near route 9 for the bus is like the best option. Can still get a decent 3br house with nice tree lined roads and a backyard for under 470K
Just make sure you stay east of route 9.

Good luck and if you have any question just ask.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:50 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Huh? You cannot compare Old Bridge to Manalapan or Marlboro. If you choose to live across the river your choices are limited if you want to stay on the Route 9 bus line. Not worth an extra few minutes? Move to Matawan.
Quote:
Please re-read your own post.

You where comparing Old Bridge to Marlboro, like it was East Orange to Livingston/Millburn.
Typical Monmouth County territoriality. They think if it's Monmouth County that automatically makes it better than everywhere else. I got out of that place years ago. Let them all live in their misery.

I for one grew up in Manalapan, and my life there was miserable. Kids were mean to me from the very beginning. I wasn't wearing all the expensive clothing or driving the fancy cars or living in the McMansions....doing what they were all doing because we couldn't afford it. I was shunned. I was ostracized. I was belittled. My life has been better since I cleared the limits of that scumbag area. Someone couldn't pay me to ever move back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey