Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2007, 08:03 AM

24 posts, read 147,439 times

Advertisements

Husband and I are seriously thinking about upgrading from our 2 BD to a 3 BD and, since we can't afford to do so in Queens (Maspeth area), we decided to start looking in NJ. Unfortunately, we can't afford to buy, not for the next few years. What will matter to us, as we both work in NYC, is no more than 1-1.5 hr commute to Manhattan (Midtown). Also, my husband's son will move with us, we need to consider an OK High School (he's a C student, working on improving his grades). We're planning to have a baby, the area should be more suburban than urban, preferably with access to park, shopping (by car is OK) - and easy parking. The budget is no more than 1150-1200... Is it doable at all in NJ? The criteria I listed are very important to us. I combed through the forum and started noting down the areas with better school system, like Northern Somerset Co, but I know our price range will not get us anywhere... Pls help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 08:32 AM

64 posts, read 112,235 times
I just checked realtor.com on Piscataway and see many homes for rent, about 30, and 3br is about your price range as you can see http://www.realtor.com/search/search...p=08854&typ=40 You may also check on Craigslist.org on rental, you may get better rent in Arbor section that is near Dunellen Train Station. The high school is great for you son because they now have A students to tutor C students at school library after school, and their A students are top students in New Jersey. e.g. Colin just got full scholarship from Rutgers Univ with full SAT score, Larry just admited Rutgers Pharmacy major that has 6,000+ applicants only pick 200 each year.

There are 26 parks in Piscataway, each has nice playground, tennis courts, basketball courts, baseball fields, hockey rings ...etc. Shopping is fantastic, nearby Middlesex Mall and Hardley Shopping Center has brand new Target, Pathmark, Walmart, Sears, ...etc.

Another area is Plainfield right next to Piscataway that has Plainfield Train Stn to Newark then PATH to NYC. The rental there is even cheaper. It has very good library and children library. and realtor.com shows 3br can get as low as $1,050 a month as you can see http://www.realtor.com/search/search...=3&bd=4&typ=40 This area also named by Forbes to be the Most Livable NYC Suburb on 10-11-07, and the train station just newly expanded and renovated. JP Morgan Chase just built a huge center in downtown. Many streets are all new stores. Down the road is huge South Plainfield Hong Kong Supermaket and Chinese buffet.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:09 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
BuyWarren sounds like a real estate agent.

Be very careful using Craigslist, as there's a lot of bait-and-switch on there. And also be very careful in Plainfield!

Old 12-29-2007, 09:42 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Buywarren actually sounds like our old friend EHS, or wjcheng, or whatever he was calling himself last. We'll be watching his posts.........

Old 12-29-2007, 11:33 PM

24 posts, read 147,439 times
How's Kearny? I know it very close to Newark, and would like to avoid it, but is it any good?? I saw a nice listing in Elmora, Elizabeth, but read reviews about the High School and seems there's a lot of gang / drug -related stuff going on... Should we just try to head south of that area, like the Old Bridge, South Amboy? I know the more suburban you go, the fewer the apartments there (just family houses)...

Old 12-31-2007, 11:13 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,805 times
Elizabeth is def not suburban, and yes there is crime but prolly no more so than Queens. Downtown/port/midtown areas are rough and there is issue with the Caribbean gangs (Haitian/Dominican/PuertoRican).

Having said that, Elmora (Elmora hills esp) is one of the best parts of town.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:43 AM

1,507 posts, read 5,906,566 times
Default Good catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Buywarren actually sounds like our old friend EHS, or wjcheng, or whatever he was calling himself last. We'll be watching his posts.........
Good catch Mr. K. I thought the same thing.

But didn't those two always quote Confusius and drop names like "Sally J. purchased blah blah"

ps. Please don't forget to post a photo of you wearing those cute mouse ears on New Years in Disney !! I'm so jealous but happy for you! Have a great trip

Old 12-31-2007, 01:22 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
Good catch Mr. K. I thought the same thing.

But didn't those two always quote Confusius and drop names like "Sally J. purchased blah blah"
Yeah, and our new friend was talking about someone in Piscataway who won a school award........

Old 12-31-2007, 09:59 PM

64 posts, read 112,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post

Be very careful using Craigslist, as there's a lot of bait-and-switch on there. And also be very careful in Plainfield!
I am not real estate agent, and I found craigslist is great and waiting to see acquired by Google, if Google is lucky.

As to Plainfield, you sounds very different from Forbes ... when was last time you visit Plainfield?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey