Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 02:52 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,937,206 times

Advertisements

I live in NW NJ near the PA border. They all say wood-er out here. Drives me nuts. They also say acrossed for across and sol for saw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 08:05 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I think the only reason it put me in Central is because I pronounce my R's. Every other characteristic was northern seeing as the 2 options for each question were quite obviously either northern or southern. I know people from Hudson County, born, raised, and still work there who say their R's so I'm not sure where this idea that natives to NJ don't say their R's comes from, but in my experience they do. I think this is where people mix up New York and New Jersey accents. I find the only distinguishable difference is that we in NJ DO say our R's while New Yorkers tend to not, but on a different level that the typical Boston accent.
It gave me North Jersey, where I am from and I DO pronounce my Rs, so that's not it.

People, MOST of North Jersey say their Rs. Look at a map. There's a lot more to North Jersey than Hudson County, the only place where the R really gets lost.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
I knew a lady from Pittsburgh and she's the only one I ever heard who said "lig" as in National Football League. We all laughed when she said it. "National Football Leg? WTF is that?" I say "leeg", "cawfee" and "wahter" cuz I'm from North Jersey. Have no idea what "wood-er" is.

So is it "roof" or "ruff"? Midwesterners say "ruff" but I say "roof." Of course I am right because only dogs can say "ruff"
We do say wooder in my family, and you can't say it's not in North Jersey because my family lived in the same NW Bergen County town for at least five generations. No stop off in NYC to live in tenements for a generation or anything, either.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:52 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We do say wooder in my family, and you can't say it's not in North Jersey because my family lived in the same NW Bergen County town for at least five generations. No stop off in NYC to live in tenements for a generation or anything, either.
We're neighbors and I swear I never heard "wooder" up there. You got some unknown Philly genes you didn't know about.

Nobody says "hoagie" there either. Hero or maybe sub. Philly ppl also say "phone" weird. It sounds like "foone."

Old 09-21-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
We're neighbors and I swear I never heard "wooder" up there. You got some unknown Philly genes you didn't know about.

Nobody says "hoagie" there either. Hero or maybe sub. Philly ppl also say "phone" weird. It sounds like "foone."

Maybe it's just because we were old Bergen County hicks. You high-falutin' newcomers probably had better diction than we did. I used to say "sum'm" for something, too, until a Black friend who was very careful to use better English at work than she did at home made fun of me for it. I learned to use better English at work myself!

Re the foone and hoome thing, I know. I had a friend who moved to Ventnor and picked up that Philly way of saying those words. What was worse was that she was from Kearny originally, so she said "Nork" for Newark and "yuhs" as a plural of you. Then she picked up the foone hoome bit on top of it.

My mother says "hoagie", but only because for many years Midland Park's HS seniors had a hoagie sale, starting back in the 60s. No one was yet really familiar with those types of sandwiches, whatever they were going to be called, and eventually "Hero" and "Sub" settled in as the North Jersey term. (I have a friend in Westchester who calls them "wedges".)

So my mother still says hoagie, but she's the only person north of the Raritan who does.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:02 PM

477 posts, read 800,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I don't have a Jersey accent but I took the quiz anyway and got "North Jersey." Based on the description of that accent, I think it really only represents Hudson County.
I don't either. People have told me so when I've told them I'm from NJ. I think the accent is more of any NY accent. You know like like a tree instead of three Frank Sinatra type of talk. Most educated Northerners (from any state) don't sound like that. However, I've noticed with NJ (as compared to say the midwest/middle America) we don't pronounce ws "right". There's a few other differences, but I notice it a lot with w words. Like the midwesterner way of saying anything with a w as wh like white or whip. Like WHa-ter instead of wought-er (as anyone else says it).

Old 09-21-2014, 02:09 PM

477 posts, read 800,940 times
Quote:

Fun story about sandwiches. When I first started my career I worked with this guy from Boston. Someone had a Blimpie. He said "Who has a GRIND-AH?! It f*cking SMELLS!". The way he said it and how offended he was by the smell, we all thought someone had body odor. He said grinder was a sub. For many years that was running the joke was people were stressed or just really quiet someone would shout "YOUR GRIND-AHHHHHHHHH!!!! F*CKING SMELLS! USE SOME SOAP".

Old 09-21-2014, 05:16 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,771 times
Quote:
It gave me North Jersey, where I am from and I DO pronounce my Rs, so that's not it.

People, MOST of North Jersey say their Rs. Look at a map. There's a lot more to North Jersey than Hudson County, the only place where the R really gets lost.
Yeah. I got North Jersey, was weird to see the blurb at the end be so focused on the one question that isn't really representative of the area however. I mean, people do occasionally drop the r but it's either a rare thing out of laziness or a sign they just got back from a few years up in Boston. Probably the least distinctively North Jersey thing on that list,

I used to occasionally get gently made fun of by friends for "cawfee" and "wahter" when I lived outside the NYC area. Didn't realize I had an accent until that point

Old 09-21-2014, 05:36 PM

36 posts, read 43,751 times
I had my girlfriend answer the questions while I said the words. I got "South Jersey".
Which makes sense cause i'm from North Philly. Lol

Old 09-21-2014, 05:38 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:

That's what I was saying, I think we agree and you misunderstood.

People in NJ DO tend to say their R's but this quiz makes it seem like we do not. How many NJ residents say "cah" rather than "car"? Very few in my experience - even people I know from Hudson County which is probably most closely associated with NYC. I was surprised to see that "r" drop option, I was like what is this New York City? Better yet, Boston? Who really talks like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey