Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 01:22 PM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times

Advertisements

"Originally Posted by MJJersey
There is an anti-bear hunt video on YouTube with a woman in her back yard messing with black bears to show they are not dangerous. She'll be the next person to get eaten."

Shades of Tim Treadwell!

Major flaw with that video is it does not translate to all BBs. To think like that is the foundation of prejudice that results in all the 'isms'. So you characterize a group by the behavior of one sample....hmmm what does that sound like? other than confused thinking?

Like the GM ignition problem, only a tiny fraction of crashes vs thousands having no problem. So is the GM ignition switch a problem?

To counter that video there was a guy in West milford killed by a bear.

Search the internet for more BB attacks, wiki has a list as well.

If it has teeth it bites.
If it weighs as much as you and has teeth, stay far away.

BB's are very smart and have been schooled well.
They know if you are sleeping, They know if you are awake, they know you are more afraid of them than they are of you.

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 02:39 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
The state has confirmed that the bear was not "provoked." Sorry bear-lovers.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The state has confirmed that the bear was not "provoked." Sorry bear-lovers.
That admission by the state is astounding.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:35 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Black bear on the loose today in Ridgewood. I wonder if he was just looking for a den in the $1M range, good schools for the cubs and a less than hour commute to Bear Stearns.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:43 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

Shades of Tim Treadwell!
Treadwell was demented, anyone that has seen his films and listened to his rants can tell that. The fact that he got himself and his girlfriend killed was not surprising, what was is the fact that he went 13 years acting as if those bears were his personal pets before it finally happened.

Quote:
If it weighs as much as you and has teeth, stay far away.
An animal a fraction of a human's size is dangerous. I would hate to get a 20 pound bobcat cornered by accident, for example. Going back up to bears, a 150 pound female black bear can easily kill a large, strong man if she so desires.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:39 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I doubt it was designated "no camping" because there were bears in the area. Camping in state parks is generally limited to specific areas for liability purposes and so that parks staff can easily keep an eye on people. They don't want folks starting fires out in the middle of the woods, leaving trash, etc... So they cram people into grouped sites like sardines. I've got nothing against "renegade" campers who set up out in the middle of the woods away from it all (I've done it myself) as long as they clean up after themselves and observe good fire safety practices.
I understand that the "no camping" area had nothing to do with bears. My point was, which I clearly didn't make , obviously these people weren't geniuses.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:00 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Why did they scatter and run in different directions? If they had stayed as a group he might have been fine. It doesn't make sense.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Why did they scatter and run in different directions? If they had stayed as a group he might have been fine. It doesn't make sense.
Common bear sense isn't so common in NJ.

Humans considering themselves as prey and acting accordingly is a lost art.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:05 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
People get eaten by mountain lions out west jogging in nature. Do they also cull them to protect the human population?
For the most part, the reason why joggers are attacked by mountain lions is that they resemble injured prey. A mammal trotting along the trail panting heavily presents itself as an easy kill for a lion, so they take it.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:14 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
While I acknowledge that it was their running that likely set off the attack, I can't help but to empathize with them because of the situation. It is possibly the case that they had heard the good advice not to run before their hike, but they panicked. It's not easy to be relaxed around a large predator in the woods, and to keep a clear head while one is approaching you aggressively, while you are unarmed? Not sure if they knew better or not, but I know that it's an overwhelming instinct to leave the area when you find out that a bear is present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Now consider the Apshawa Preserve where the attack occurred: Relatively tiny at less than 600 acres, bounded by busy Route 23 to the south, lake communities to the east and west, and more fragmented development to the north. My guess is that this 300lb four year old had become quite comfortable with humans, which eventually led to his and the hikers death. More expansive and suitable bear habitat can be found to the north and east in the area of Norvin Green State Forest, but that area is notorious for harboring a number of large adult males, who presumably spend a lot of time running off the competition.
Why didn't I think of that?

Last edited by NJmmadude; 10-01-2014 at 11:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey