Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 11:00 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times

Advertisements

a college friend of mine just moved to queens. yesterday, i saw an article listing restaurants with michelin stars and queens had some. so maybe its something that may work for you. you cant afford to eat in the restaurants but it probably means its trendy or interesting for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 11:41 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times
Washington Heights or Inwood are also options, I see 1BR going for $12-1500 if you look in the right places. Then you're not even crossing any rivers.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:44 PM

13 posts, read 33,059 times
@Holiday....you are limited in your choices. You are asking for too much with a low budget. (Remember the closer you are to NYC, the higher the cost of living.) With that said, there are still options. As qrydonnell stated in his/her post, Maplewood and the South Orange area are pretty good options. I personally recommend Ivy Hill Park Apartments in Newark which borders Seton Hall University/South Orange. The area is safe, diverse, quiet, and there is a NJ Transit bus that runs from the complex to NYC in less then an hour. Plus the area is about a mile away from the South Orange Train station if you prefer taking the train to NYC. I am an openly gay male and I have never had a problem in the 2 years I lived here and there has been numerous times I've came home at 3 or 4 in the morning. Ivy Hill Park Apartments

Old 10-02-2014, 06:59 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,007,056 times
If you got no street smarts, maybe you shouldn't come to an urban area like the NYC Metro area

Old 10-06-2014, 11:28 AM

9 posts, read 10,880 times
Englewood, Maplewood, South Orange, Montclair, Tenafly, all great villages with rentals around downtown and train, very short commute to city...some pricey. Bloomfield is a much more affordable still artsy/hip town not as suburban also consider Weehawken, Harrison and North Bergen for affordability(more urban). These places have higher crime but are not unsafe. Crime in many of these cities has more to do with gang related drug dealing or car theft but only if you drive a brand new $70,000-$100,000 car. Most if not all all NJ towns, especially North Jersey will be LGBT friendly.

Fort Lee is also a safe nice town with tons of amenities if less charming than aforementioned places. The apartments are shockingly large with crazy views for the price but the commute is a bit of a hassle because you need to take a bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey