Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 03:27 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times

Advertisements

The DVSSE form has a provision for a 100% disabled vet that owns and lives in a multi family dwelling. When filling the form he/she needs to provide what percentage of the home he occupies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 06:05 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
The DVSSE form has a provision for a 100% disabled vet that owns and lives in a multi family dwelling. When filling the form he/she needs to provide what percentage of the home he occupies.
There ya go. Thanks.

So to answer the OP's question, that's what you need to do. Join the Army get so badly wounded that you get the 100% disabled designation and voila! No more paying property tax in NJ.

I'm pretty sure my father would rather have paid the property tax than to have had to walk on prosthetic legs for the next 55 years, but he accepted what happened, got his engineering degree after the war and went to work and was able to support the wife and seven kids he would eventually have. Not having to pay property tax on a six-bedroom, three bathroom house in Bergen County was helpful.

RIP, Dad. 15 years October 30.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-18-2014 at 06:14 PM..

Old 10-18-2014, 07:19 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Join the Army get so badly wounded that you get the 100% disabled designation and voila! No more paying property tax in NJ.
Not everyone is so badly wounded, although one family friend is still carrying so much shrapnel from Iwo in his legs, that he sets off metal detectors.
I know one guy who broke his pinky in a snowball fight, went nuts from it & is collecting 100% VA disability for decades. He doesn't own a home, though.
Quote:
RIP, Dad. 15 years October 30.
RIP.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Not everyone is so badly wounded, although one family friend is still carrying so much shrapnel from Iwo in his legs, that he sets off metal detectors.
I know one guy who broke his pinky in a snowball fight, went nuts from it & is collecting 100% VA disability for decades. He doesn't own a home, though.

RIP.
Thanks. That's crazy, the pinky story.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:16 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post

RIP.
Since I've been retired I've become more active in helping brother vets and their families apply for and hopefully get the medical attention that they need and also benefits they deserve. I have found that a great majority that have PTSD are either too ashamed to say they have it or don't realize that they do have it. I have friends that I served with that I know for a fact have PTSD and they will go to the grave without ever being clinically diagnosed with it or receive the compensation that they deserve for having it due to their service. I know vets that have gone through the most horrible situations when serving and they show no signs of being affected. One of my very good friends spent nearly a year in a POW camp and he shows no signs or symptoms of having any psychological problems. In fact when we get together he may be the most stable out of all of us. I also know those that had (for the lack of a better term) minimal exposure in combat and they are full blown basket cases. Everybody is affected in a different way. I'm also not that naive to not know that there are many who are very good at faking their so called PTSD. Don't know if that's the situation with your friend. Hope not. For those who read this and are not aware of the process that a vet must go through to be deemed 100% disabled. It's not an easy process and the V.A. don't hand them out like candy on halloween.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Since I've been retired I've become more active in helping brother vets and their families apply for and hopefully get the medical attention that they need and also benefits they deserve. I have found that a great majority that have PTSD are either too ashamed to say they have it or don't realize that they do have it. I have friends that I served with that I know for a fact have PTSD and they will go to the grave without ever being clinically diagnosed with it or receive the compensation that they deserve for having it due to their service. I know vets that have gone through the most horrible situations when serving and they show no signs of being affected. One of my very good friends spent nearly a year in a POW camp and he shows no signs or symptoms of having any psychological problems. In fact when we get together he may be the most stable out of all of us. I also know those that had (for the lack of a better term) minimal exposure in combat and they are full blown basket cases. Everybody is affected in a different way. I'm also not that naive to not know that there are many who are very good at faking their so called PTSD. Don't know if that's the situation with your friend. Hope not. For those who read this and are not aware of the process that a vet must go through to be deemed 100% disabled. It's not an easy process and the V.A. don't hand them out like candy on halloween.
Good on you for helping your brothers.

We didn't realize growing up why my dad zoned out and seemed to go somewhere else sometimes. They didn't talk about PTSD back then. I hope every vet who suffers from what they experienced gets the help they deserve.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:02 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Quote:
I also know those that had (for the lack of a better term) minimal exposure in combat and they are full blown basket cases. Everybody is affected in a different way. I'm also not that naive to not know that there are many who are very good at faking their so called PTSD. Don't know if that's the situation with your friend. Hope not. For those who read this and are not aware of the process that a vet must go through to be deemed 100% disabled. It's not an easy process and the V.A. don't hand them out like candy on halloween.
I'm not suggesting that the guy (not a friend) is faking. He was never in combat, just flipped out after what was a minor injury IMO. I agree that many are undiagnosed with PTSD. I prefer that they get treatment, rather than just a check:
VA Disability Compensation Rates | Military.com

Old 10-20-2014, 03:00 PM

10 posts, read 24,531 times
"There is also a sizable and rapidly growing American Hasidic community in Lakewood, New Jersey,"

Hasidic Judaism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not sure how someone could not know that already.

But on the topic of taxes, I don't know. I've heard that too, the not paying taxes thing, but I've never heard it from any reliable source. And like someone else said, I never cared enough to find out if its true. But it sounds fishy to me. As much as I believe their community is responsible for other problems occurring in neighboring towns (they are known here to buy up cheap property in neighboring towns to build apts and condos then rent to illegals so they can be slum lords. Sadly the illegals are afraid to speak up because they are afraid to draw attention to themselves for obvious reasons.) Also the Jews have pushed much of the crime out of Lakewood into neighboring towns. Not that Lakewood doesn't still have issues, but oh this is another post...but anyway, I still don't really buy the property tax thing.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:11 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,175,096 times
Quote:
100 % disabled veterans don't pay property taxes in N.J., I don't think that the statement "Hasidic Jews do not pay Property tax as they consider there home a Synagogue" is totally accurate.
Where do you see that? I did some search and it said disabled veterans get a "huge" $250 annual deduction.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Where do you see that? I did some search and it said disabled veterans get a "huge" $250 annual deduction.
ONE HUNDRED PERCENT disabled veterans get a tax waiver on their primary residence in NJ. I've already posted this. I'm not making it up. My father did not pay property taxes on our house, and my mother, as his widow, gets that benefit. It ends when she dies. But AGAIN, you have to be 100% disabled. My father lost both legs in WWII. That is considered 100%, even though, yes, he could walk on prosthetics, and yes, he could hold a job (he was an electrical engineer).

He also got a grant toward the construction of building the house with extra-wide doorways for a wheelchair, because sometimes when the stump bones got infected, he couldn't wear his artificial legs for months at a time, and sometimes by the end of a day they would hurt, so he would use the wheelchair. Or walk on his knees (Dad made a great horsie when we were little.) There are no front steps in front of my mother's house. My father had a bathroom with a shower that you could pull a wheelchair into. This house was built in 1957. For you kiddies on here--there was no "ADA" until the early 1990's.

Oh yes, he also got an annual clothing allowance of a few hundred dollars for the wear and tear artificial legs take on pants.

Again, I am quite sure my father would rather have paid his taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey