Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 09:28 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times

Advertisements

So, my camera decided to jump out of our stroller at some point. i realized it what i thought was relatively quickly, but after retracing steps multiple times, i didn't find it.

couple of questions:

where might people try to sell this other than craigslist? a camera shop in that area maybe?
should i report it to the local cops?

does anyone know anything about homeowner's insurance and cameras?

Old 10-19-2014, 09:49 AM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
So, my camera decided to jump out of our stroller at some point. i realized it what i thought was relatively quickly, but after retracing steps multiple times, i didn't find it.

couple of questions:

where might people try to sell this other than craigslist? a camera shop in that area maybe?
should i report it to the local cops?

does anyone know anything about homeowner's insurance and cameras?
Any security cameras there?

Might be a target rich environment for a gang or group of thievies so it would make sense to report it to the cops, Alstedes? an eco tour farm, pumpkin picking etc? Maybe they have other reports of stolen goods?

Probably sold on the street. Pawn shops?

Did your camera have a menu level to type in and record your name and other info? I know Nikon has a menu item to record such info. Always a good idea to record your name and cell as a photo in case of lost or stolen.

Good luck!

Old 10-19-2014, 09:59 AM

180 posts, read 344,772 times
I had a digital camera that was stolen a couple of years ago. The police at the time asked me for the serial number but since I didn't have the box any longer I was not able to give it to them - but they told me that they can use the serial number to trace the camera through the internet.

BUT, I also found out that each digital photo is encrypted with a unique number for your camera and there are websites that you can upload a photo to and find the number. People have recovered lost/stolen cameras by finding pictures from THEIR camera posted on internet sites like instagram, twitter, etc. I tried to do that for my camera - but no luck at the time.

Here is some more info for you - but I hope someone turns it into Alstede and you get it back!

This is just one website to use - but there are others, too. Some you have to pay for.......

Stolen Camera Finder - find your photos, find your camera

Last edited by NJ Person; 10-19-2014 at 10:09 AM..

Old 10-19-2014, 10:06 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
I lost my Digital Camera in a cab, It was never found, Luckily it was the 1st port on a cruse. So not much was lost.

I would check pawn shops around where you lost it. (Is it a high end camera?) You can report it to the cops, but don't expect anything. You HO insurance might cover it, you would need to check your policy,

Old 10-19-2014, 10:19 AM

2,340 posts, read 1,735,214 times
Was there any ID with the cameras that were lost? Not just the OP, but the others here? I believe that most people who perchance happen to find a lost item like the camera, that they want the opportunity to do the right thing - I don't know, am I being naïve here?

Simply slipping business card into the case goes a long way towards recovering lost items. That may not help for this time around, but it would, should this happen in the future. I hope you find your camera!

Old 10-19-2014, 10:30 AM

180 posts, read 344,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
Was there any ID with the cameras that were lost? Not just the OP, but the others here? I believe that most people who perchance happen to find a lost item like the camera, that they want the opportunity to do the right thing - I don't know, am I being naïve here?

Simply slipping business card into the case goes a long way towards recovering lost items. That may not help for this time around, but it would, should this happen in the future. I hope you find your camera!

I know if I found a lost camera I certainly would want to try my hardest to return it to the owner!! I was (and still am) devastated from having my camera stolen!! I had recently downloaded all my pics to my computer - so I only lost 1-2 days worth, but losing that camera card was the worst part!!!!! I wish the A-holes that stole it just took the camera and left the card...........

Old 10-19-2014, 11:12 AM

I have a huge memory card on the camera with probably about 2,000 photos on it. It would include many photos of my children, so to anyone who found it, they'd easily be able to tell it belonged to a family. If they found it on the farm, I am really amazed it wasn't turned in. Called again this morning and still nothing. Serial number is a good idea. I have the box, but I didn't know it would be in the box. I'll check.

I have to go in person to the township police tomorrow to file a report. thanks for all of the tips. Truly amazed no one turned it in. I can only hope that means it's still somewhere in the corn maze and just not found yet. I also decided to not change the lens to the standard lens, so i lost a 28-300mm lens which isn't cheap either.

i'll look up some pawn shops and camera shops. i was wondering if the police would do that also?

Old 10-19-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Person View Post
I know if I found a lost camera I certainly would want to try my hardest to return it to the owner!! I was (and still am) devastated from having my camera stolen!! I had recently downloaded all my pics to my computer - so I only lost 1-2 days worth, but losing that camera card was the worst part!!!!! I wish the A-holes that stole it just took the camera and left the card...........
or at least if you want to be dirty and take the camera, how about turning in the memory card? lol. honestly, that would have made my day alone.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:17 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
I've moved on to using my Phone as a camera, I have one of the settings set to Email each Picture to me as its taken. (Unlimited Data / US-Can ) so even if i lose the camera, the pictures are safe, in a google Email account. (Also all the contacts are up in Google Land.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:32 PM

267 posts, read 352,010 times
Ebay is a good spot to check out also
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: