Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 05:17 PM

14 posts, read 30,934 times

Advertisements

I cannot find information from doing a simple Google search. I am hoping someone with experience moving into Hoboken (or any other congested city) can help me out. I know that ticketing is very common in Hoboken and I also am not sure about blocking the road

I was thinking about unloading my U-Haul very late in the night or early morning...but I have family members helping me out and I feel like strange hours will be an added inconvenience. I will be doing this on a Thursday/Friday. (August 1, so I'm sure a lot of people will be moving in/out that day.)

I will be moving onto a tight one-way street. I have heavy furniture so parking elsewhere and walking is not gonna happen. I am just wondering what most people do in this situation. Or if blocking traffic and keeping a look out for the police is the norm.

I moved into Philly last year and received a massive ticket for blocking the road (while loading my U-Haul) and parking illegally.

I just want to be prepared Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 06:07 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,850,718 times
Used to live up in that area years ago. I have seen parking spots "reserved" in some way for moving trucks. Not sure how it's done, but I suggest calling Hoboken City Hall and/or Hoboken Police Dep't. & ask them.

City of Hoboken, NJ » City of Hoboken – Home

Hoboken Police Department Home - Hoboken Police Department

Old 07-12-2014, 07:15 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,772,956 times
City of Hoboken, NJ » City of Hoboken – Temporary No Parking Signs

Old 07-12-2014, 08:39 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,584,927 times
Bring some traffic cones. If anybody bothers you tell them you have the mayors or somebody's ok on it.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:31 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Just leave it in the street , everyone double parks in Hoboken.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:25 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,772,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Just leave it in the street , everyone double parks in Hoboken.
obviously someone that has never been to Hoboken. Since most streets are one way, and have cars parked on both sides, anyone who has ever been there would know that a uhaul would block anyone trying to go down the street. Fine for dropping off one thing, not fine for moving.

Also, obvious that the person didn't even read the original post since it was stated "I will be moving onto a tight one-way street"

Old 07-13-2014, 08:11 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,240,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisabeth11 View Post
I have family members helping me out
The best help they might offer, would be to grab a couple of parking spaces in front of your new residence, so that when you arrive with the U-Haul, they can move their cars & open up space for you to park & unload!

Old 07-14-2014, 09:47 AM

11 posts, read 21,199 times
Go to the Hoboken Parking Authority and let them know that you are moving in and need to reserve the street in front of the apartment building. You'll pay a fee and they will place those temporary no-parking signs in front of your apartment for the day and time you are moving in. The Parking Authority is located on the basement floor of Hoboken Town Hall.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:48 AM

4 posts, read 12,240 times
Default U Haul Parking in Hoboken

I know you've probably moved already but I'm posting this in case someone else, who is moving in the future, needs the information.

What You are Supposed to Do
According to the Hoboken Parking Authority/ Utility you can call and request to have a portion of the street blocked for you. I do believe you have to pay for this and I'm not sure of the cost.

What I Did
I had my mom stay with the U Haul, while my dad, boyfriend and myself moved the rest of my stuff. If you can have someone stay with the U Haul they can move it if a cop or parking official approaches. We just parked illegally, in the red. The U Haul was there for about 3 hours with my mom and no officials came.

Last edited by EEJ080690; 10-23-2014 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: Add Information

Old 10-23-2014, 10:50 AM

4 posts, read 12,240 times
FYI, I live on Jefferson, it is a one way street but we were against the curb so we weren't blocking cars driving down the road. Just parked in the red zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey