Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 09:22 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times

Advertisements

But also although Princeton and New Brunswick have nice downtowns and are walkable, they are college towns and a lot of the business cater to college students. Not sure if OP is interested in that or not but I thought I would point this out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 09:38 AM

88,587 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum_Newbie View Post
What are the most densely populated areas in Central NJ? I will be working right in the middle of this map (where the 004 box is) in Monmouth County (exit 16 off 195)

I am looking for urban living, areas that have a downtown or are walk-able and within 30 min commute to work.

As much of my job will be driving, I am looking to live somewhere that when I get home, I can walk to a bar or restaurant, grocery store etc.

Any suggestions, feedback is much appreciated.

Thank you! Julie
Red Bank.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum_Newbie View Post
Thank you all so much. A Realtor suggested Long Branch as they have a cool downtown, Brighton Ave (I think) that has what I described. Do you know of that area? I looked at the Plaza in New Brunswick...that's one option. And are there safe areas of Trenton? I was led to believe that it was very sketchy?

Thanks!
Julie
Great pizza place on Brighton--Scala's.

Yes, Long Branch is a good-sized "city"/large town of about 40K . It has a few bad blocks where there is the occasional drug-related shooting, but that's not most of the city. It also has areas that are multi-family homes that are pretty crowded, and then there are areas, mostly in the section called "West End" that are nicer with a calmer feel. West End makes no sense because it's not west of anything but the ocean and is in fact the SOUTHERN end of Long Branch, but I think some real estate person dreamed it up to give the area some pizzazz.

I still say Red Bank has a better downtown. It's got two theaters that get some name acts, more variety of restaurants, shops, etc.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
Yes, all of these towns are more urban areas as the OP requested, however NONE of them are within the 30 min commute the OP also specified. The one that comes the closest in terms of commute times would be Red Bank, but you are looking at 45min to an hour in commute during normal business hours. Heck, New Brunswick is an over an hour non-rush.

For the OP, when ever trying to figure out how long a commute will be, take the suggested commute time given by googlemaps, mapquest, etc, multiply it by 2 and add 10% to get a more realistic/accurate estimate. The times suggested by googlemaps, mapquest et al are laughably inaccurate.

KoalaNJ

Hmm, I thought Red Bank would be within the thirty minutes, but I guess I was looking at Howell on the map as the OP's destination for work.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:34 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hmm, I thought Red Bank would be within the thirty minutes, but I guess I was looking at Howell on the map as the OP's destination for work.
I too was not certain as to the OP's work location off the top of my head, so I had to look up exit 16 off 195. It is the exit in Jackson one uses to get to Six Flags. I think the OP will have to compromise on driving distance to work in order to get the Urban hometown they desire.

KoalaNJ

Old 12-03-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
I too was not certain as to the OP's work location off the top of my head, so I had to look up exit 16 off 195. It is the exit in Jackson one uses to get to Six Flags. I think the OP will have to compromise on driving distance to work in order to get the Urban hometown they desire.

KoalaNJ
I think you're right! But, it's nice to know that we aren't as urban as some people think we are! When I moved to Monmouth County five years ago, I was pleased to find as I began to explore that I didn't have far to go to find some open space and farmland.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:53 AM

849 posts, read 269,866 times
Thank you all for the responses. I found some places I like in Bordentown, which is great as it only a 20 miles from new job. And found places in Red Bank that are ideal too.

It's difficult trying to find a new home in a place you know nothing about. The internet is helpful, but it is all of your responses that are much more helpful.

Thank you again,
Julie

Old 12-04-2014, 08:21 AM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times
i hope you guys aren't serious with mentioning Trenton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey