Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 09:36 PM

595 posts, read 1,558,380 times

Advertisements

I got summoned to be a state grand juror in Trenton. It's one day a week for 20 weeks. I live in Fort Lee and Trenton is extremely far and I have a 1 year old son that needs to be taken care of after 4:30 (that's when I come home). Is that enough for me to get out of this? This is going to cause such a headache for me. I also don't have the car sometimes...would they actually make me take the train?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 07:47 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,978,324 times
To get excused, you would need to demonstrate that you need to care for children and alternative care would be a severe financial hardship.

The travel issue is tougher since they seek jurors from all counties in NJ, so many potential jurors will have to travel very far. You can add on car issues and potential cost as a secondary reason, but child care should be your main focus.

That being said, if you can find a way to do it, serving on a jury is a valuable civic duty and many people end up finding it educational/enjoyable.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:20 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,866,005 times
You should just tell them and see what they say. It's been my experience that being honest about your situation is the best way to deal with it. There is nothing that anyone on the internet can tell you to get you out of jury duty, only the clerk can do something about it and they get lied to all day long and have literally heard every excuse you can come up with.

Be the breath of fresh air and tell them the truth about being in Fort Lee and that you do not have dependable transportation to Trenton every day and that you are responsible for child care starting at 4:30 every day.

The only thing I'll add about trying to get out of jury duty is to imagine you were wrongly imprisoned for someone else's mistake, would you rather have someone like you on the jury or someone who is a total dumbass?

Old 12-19-2014, 09:29 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
dont be honest to a fault. choose a good excuse that will work but try to make it as close to reality as possible. read the reasons for excuses and then see which one most closely fits your reality and then exaggerate your reality.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:13 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,423 times
Is it too late to pretend you never received the notice? I got called for jury duty one time and called the court to register. I told someone at work about it, and the first thing they said was why didn't you just ignore it? The notice didn't get sent certified mail or signature delivery.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
Is it too late to pretend you never received the notice? I got called for jury duty one time and called the court to register. I told someone at work about it, and the first thing they said was why didn't you just ignore it? The notice didn't get sent certified mail or signature delivery.
^^ bad advice.

Yes there is a chance that you could ignore it and nothing will happen.

More likely: you'll get another summons in the mail (this one probably certified) telling you to appear in court to explain why you shouldn't be held in contempt and fined. The, IF (big IF) they actually believe you and you avoid a fine, I'll bet you'll be put in the front of line for jury duty and they will not be listening to any excuses to be excused.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:34 AM

19,120 posts, read 25,320,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
^^ bad advice.

Yes there is a chance that you could ignore it and nothing will happen.

More likely: you'll get another summons in the mail (this one probably certified) telling you to appear in court to explain why you shouldn't be held in contempt and fined. The, IF (big IF) they actually believe you and you avoid a fine, I'll bet you'll be put in the front of line for jury duty and they will not be listening to any excuses to be excused.
Good advice--as usual--from HalfFull.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:50 AM

Well, how much is the fine?

Lol I guess the only option is to try to rationalize with the court.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
Well, how much is the fine?

Lol I guess the only option is to try to rationalize with the court.

Why don't you take your own advice and report back to us?

Old 12-19-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Why don't you take your own advice and report back to us?
I'm not as experienced as you are about the subject. Never actually got called. Jeez lighten up.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...al-people.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey