Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:07 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,602,986 times

Advertisements

Wondering who wins DIRECT TV OR COMCAST for TV service during this bkizzars of 2015
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 11:37 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
My direcTV service never failed during/after Sandy, while my cable was out for ten days. However, my satellite dish is in a sheltered area on my roof. I'll bet plenty of DirecTV customers had their dish blown out of alignment, causing loss of service.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:41 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Similar here no problem with Direct VSAT dish but remember to also have a regular RE AL TV antenna for all the free and regular TV programs you won't get elsewhere. That stays up all the time.
I find too many people forgot what TV is.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:35 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
When I had Directv snow was never a problem. I guess if your dish gets buried or covered in snow you could lose the signal, but I never had that happen. But during heavy rain and thunderstorms I used to always lose my signal (anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes). With Comast I used to lose my internet service randomly for no reason. Now for the past 6 years I've had Verizon Fios and there has not been a single service interruption for TV or internet, and that includes hurricane Sandy and the few blizzards we've had over the years.

If you do decide on Directv, you'll want to also get an OTA antenna as Captain mentioned. Directv does not carry local subchannels like Antenna TV or Cozi.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:07 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
I have a Leaf over-the-air antenna that brings in several dozen channels, including the major networks, with crystal-clear reception. Even though I have DirecTV, I got this as a backup in case of an outage in an emergency. The Mohu website has a mapping function that helps you determine what channels you're likely to get in your location.

http://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Leaf-Ampl...f+hdtv+antenna

Old 01-28-2015, 06:23 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,562 times
It does well during snow as long as there isn't heavy snow that fills the dish (happened once), or as long as the snow gets blown out of it.

Now, god forbid there's heavy rain or a thunder storm...then it almost always goes out.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:36 AM

997 posts, read 1,061,200 times
We used to have terrible issues with losing our signal before we switched to high def tv. Even a light rain shower would knock out our signal. We haven't had any issues since we finally upgraded to high def tv a few years ago, even though our dish is in the exact same spot that our old round one was.

We never lost our DirectTv signal after Sandy, but Comcast (our internet provider) was out for about 4 days.

When we woke up on Saturday morning, there was about 6 inches of snow piled up on our dish which blocked the signal. I considered getting the ladder out to clear it (our dish is mounted about 12 feet up on the side of our home) but the wind took care of it within a few minutes.

We did not lose our signal at all in this latest storm.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:06 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
Now, god forbid there's heavy rain or a thunder storm...then it almost always goes out.
What I have observed over the past few years is that the signal will begin to pixilate and then disappear as a storm approaches. A few minutes later, once the rain has actually started falling, the signal is fine. The longest that I have lost the signal was for...maybe...10 minutes, as a storm approached.

If Fios was available in my area, I would get it, but unfortunately it isn't available here. So, my choices are the abominable cable service or DirecTV. I switched to DirecTV, and have enjoyed better sound quality, and better video quality, as well as fewer outages.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:02 AM

997 posts, read 1,061,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
What I have observed over the past few years is that the signal will begin to pixilate and then disappear as a storm approaches. A few minutes later, once the rain has actually started falling, the signal is fine. The longest that I have lost the signal was for...maybe...10 minutes, as a storm approached.

If Fios was available in my area, I would get it, but unfortunately it isn't available here. So, my choices are the abominable cable service or DirecTV. I switched to DirecTV, and have enjoyed better sound quality, and better video quality, as well as fewer outages.

I wish we could get FIOS here, too. It's in the next county, but Comcrap has a strangle hold out here.

Back to DirecTv, I've noticed that on the rare occasion that we do lose the signal, it's usually only the HD channels. I simply go into settings and display the SD channel duplicates and 9 times out of 10 they are working. Once the weather improves, I simply hide the SD channels in the guide again.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:07 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
I have Cablevision with 50MBps. Even during Sandy I didn't have much of a problem.

Fios fiber is not available by me. It would be the only option IMO. I care MUCH more about my internet speed than my TV signal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey