Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 11:41 AM

4 posts, read 4,846 times

Advertisements

I moved to New Brunswick last summer from out of state and I would like to start surfing regularly. I have surfed a few times before in the Outer Banks but I am far from expert level. I was doing some research on surfline.com and watching some youtube videos today and it seems like the surfing in NJ is too good to miss out on. On surfline.com they mentioned problems such as crowds, laws, "beach badges", access, grumpy locals, etc. I am wondering if anyone could describe how "going down the shore" works for people who want to surf. Here's some details about myself and my ambitions:

I live in New Brunswick and would like to find spots that are within an 1 to 1.5 hours away.

I am beginner level.

I would prefer areas without hordes of people in the water.

I plan on surfing from late spring to late fall.

I plan on going Saturdays and Sundays.

And here are some other questions:

Whats a "beach badge"?

Where do you park and does it cost money? I google earthed a bunch of places and it looks like parking could be a real nightmare.

Are there good places to fish as well? I like fishing too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 12:37 PM

64 posts, read 90,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern_Nomad View Post
I moved to New Brunswick last summer from out of state and I would like to start surfing regularly. I have surfed a few times before in the Outer Banks but I am far from expert level. I was doing some research on surfline.com and watching some youtube videos today and it seems like the surfing in NJ is too good to miss out on. On surfline.com they mentioned problems such as crowds, laws, "beach badges", access, grumpy locals, etc. I am wondering if anyone could describe how "going down the shore" works for people who want to surf. Here's some details about myself and my ambitions:

I live in New Brunswick and would like to find spots that are within an 1 to 1.5 hours away.

I am beginner level.

I would prefer areas without hordes of people in the water.

I plan on surfing from late spring to late fall.

I plan on going Saturdays and Sundays.

And here are some other questions:

Whats a "beach badge"?

Where do you park and does it cost money? I google earthed a bunch of places and it looks like parking could be a real nightmare.

Are there good places to fish as well? I like fishing too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

On all of the public beaches in the Jersey Shore, you may surf from 6am to 10am. Then again from 6pm to 10pm. Lifeguards are on duty from 10am thru 6pm...so you are therefore on your own. Beach badges are required from 10am thru 6pm, so this is not a concern for you, as you are not allowed to surf during these hours. Crowds will also not be a concern, because you cannot surf during the hours that the crowds are on the beach.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:46 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,941,024 times
I know in the past Bradley Beach has had one dedicated surfing beach which is between 3rd and 4th Avenue and is guarded, all season long. It has never appeared too crowded and would be nice & close to New Brunswick (35-40 miles only). You can also do some fishing here as well (I have fished down at the inlet (a little further south, down at Avon-by-the-Sea). There is lots of on-street parking, and they even have the smart meters where you can check how much time remains and add more from a smartphone through the parking app.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:36 AM

44 posts, read 61,884 times
Boogie boarding is fine all day long haha

Old 02-09-2015, 06:22 AM

192 posts, read 248,877 times
Lol...stay in NYC? Jersey shore and surfing? You only go to the shore for the boardwalk

Old 02-11-2015, 03:01 PM

453 posts, read 1,743,085 times
You might want to check out the Borough of Lavallette, and by all means look into the Hammer Surf School. This is a well-known program in a great town. Beach block and in-town parking is free, although not necessarily plentiful between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Beach Badges are required after around June 20 through Labor Day, but access if free at other times. (The Hammer family also owns the famous Crab's Claw Inn restaurant in town.)

You can also go surf fishing on the same beaches, as I do.

Lavallette does not restrict hours of surfing or fishing, but they do designate certain beaches for surfing during the bathing season, and ask anglers not to fish directly near swimmers. State fishing regulations apply. Buggies are allowed off season with annual permits. Details are at www.lavallette.org.

Rhys

Old 02-11-2015, 04:30 PM

7,056 posts, read 19,321,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie8862 View Post
On all of the public beaches in the Jersey Shore, you may surf from 6am to 10am. Then again from 6pm to 10pm. Lifeguards are on duty from 10am thru 6pm...so you are therefore on your own. Beach badges are required from 10am thru 6pm, so this is not a concern for you, as you are not allowed to surf during these hours. Crowds will also not be a concern, because you cannot surf during the hours that the crowds are on the beach.
These rules vary by town. I'm sure some towns restrict surfing by time of day, but I think it's more common for towns to only a certain portion of the beach to be used for surfing, since you want to time your surfing with the tides, which are occurring at different times every day. For instance, Seaside Park and adjacent Island Beach State Park have designated "surfing beaches"

Old 02-11-2015, 06:22 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,029,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetsui View Post
Lol...stay in NYC? Jersey shore and surfing? You only go to the shore for the boardwalk
I have a friend who is a professional surfer and the winter here is host to big competitions and world class surfing.

http://njsurfingclub.com/

http://surf.transworld.net/100010099...om-new-jersey/

Old 02-11-2015, 06:56 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,112,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie8862 View Post
No, that's not how that works. Maybe at a certain beach what you're saying is true. But it's completely variable by location.

Lifeguard hours vary by beach. On most of the shore, the entire beach is not guarded/open for swimming, only a portion of it is. Outside that area you can fish, surf, etc during the day without issue.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:49 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,003,707 times
There are many beaches/beach towns that have "surfing only" or "no swimming" designated areas of the water where you can surf all day, often on a guarded beach too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey