Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 10:30 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,260,829 times

Advertisements

I think I have made it clear I am not eligible to buy insurance through NJM. Or else I would do exactly that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 11:24 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I think I have made it clear I am not eligible to buy insurance through NJM. Or else I would do exactly that.
Well. I'm in the clear since my post clearly indicated I was talking to OP, not you. Perhaps start your own thread since 2 people (me and another) were the only ones to respond after you, and neither of us mentioned you at all.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:54 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
I've posted this in a few other threads but I'll just chime in to mention that I found significant savings when I started letting the insurance companies track my cars. Ignore my username, I live in northern NJ now.

It started when I had Progressive- I was paying $800 or so every 6 months to insure two cars, a 2013 Lexus and a 2011 Mercedes. When I installed the Snapshot devices in both cars, my rates dropped precipitously- 20% for my wife's car and 13% for my car (she drives less and is less heavy on the brakes). My premium was under $600 every 6 months. This lasted for about a year when a renewal came in at like $900 due to a revaluation in my zip code.

So, I went to Allstate because their quote was the lowest at about $740, but the price instantly dropped to $650 when I installed their tracker in both cars. I haven't received my next renewal but I'd imagine it will drop even further since my wife really isn't driving her car much and mileage is the primary factor, followed by hard braking.

I am eligible for NJM but they wanted over $2,000 per year for the same cars. No thank you. Oh, and I do limit my ability to sue for pain and suffering in order to keep the rates down- you will still be able to collect for your actual injuries in an accident, you just can't use an accident as a lottery ticket. Fine in my book.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:36 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I've posted this in a few other threads but I'll just chime in to mention that I found significant savings when I started letting the insurance companies track my cars. Ignore my username, I live in northern NJ now.

It started when I had Progressive- I was paying $800 or so every 6 months to insure two cars, a 2013 Lexus and a 2011 Mercedes. When I installed the Snapshot devices in both cars, my rates dropped precipitously- 20% for my wife's car and 13% for my car (she drives less and is less heavy on the brakes). My premium was under $600 every 6 months. This lasted for about a year when a renewal came in at like $900 due to a revaluation in my zip code.

So, I went to Allstate because their quote was the lowest at about $740, but the price instantly dropped to $650 when I installed their tracker in both cars. I haven't received my next renewal but I'd imagine it will drop even further since my wife really isn't driving her car much and mileage is the primary factor, followed by hard braking.

I am eligible for NJM but they wanted over $2,000 per year for the same cars. No thank you. Oh, and I do limit my ability to sue for pain and suffering in order to keep the rates down- you will still be able to collect for your actual injuries in an accident, you just can't use an accident as a lottery ticket. Fine in my book.
Go figure - Allstate and Progressive were two companies whose rates were double what I'm paying with NJM. I've been with NJM 26 years so maybe that has something to do with it. IDK.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post

How does one get the Snapshot device?

Old 01-07-2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Well. I'm in the clear since my post clearly indicated I was talking to OP, not you. Perhaps start your own thread since 2 people (me and another) were the only ones to respond after you, and neither of us mentioned you at all.
The 2 people who responded directly after my post quoted my post, so I think we can call that "mentioning" me. I don't think it is always necessary to start a new thread, when there is a reasonably recent thread (March 2015) on the same topic.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:20 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
Quote:
If you're already a Progressive customer, I think you can sign up for the snapshot program straight from your account online. I originally signed up over the phone because it was a new program at the time and hadn't yet gone live on the website.

They just give you a small device that you plug into the car and leave in there for six months. After six months, you send it back and they never monitor your driving again on that car. Pretty neat. The website will have daily reports of your driving that feel a bit "big brother" in scope- it has every minute your car was on with speed and distance traveled. Note that it doesn't have your location.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:44 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
Quote:
I was going to get one of those trackers, I know they plug into the OBD2 socket under your dashboard, same place as the MVC inspection and regular Check Engine Light scanners plug in. Thing is my latest car is too easy to get "up to speed" so I think I'd be shooting myself in the foot, meaning you can "stomp" it and get up to 100 easily. i don't think that would lower my rates.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:46 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
The 2 people who responded directly after my post quoted my post, so I think we can call that "mentioning" me. I don't think it is always necessary to start a new thread, when there is a reasonably recent thread (March 2015) on the same topic.
The post that started the "argument" was clearly addressed to the OP, so there was no need for an argument in the first place. Maybe we should just move back to the discussion.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:50 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
Farmers insurance is now in NJ and the rates are great. I dealt with the directly for quote but there was a guy out of Parsippany names Gregg an agent and Im telling you the prices were excellent unless you can get NJM. Its fairly new in NJ .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: