Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 08:30 PM

6 posts, read 23,768 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have three small children and he works in downtown Manhattan. We need to relocate to be closer to his parents who live in Union, NJ because, unfortunately, my husband's father became very ill recently. We've looked at several towns throughout NJ and have narrowed our choices down to Westfield or Chatham. I grew up on Long Island in a town called Manhasset and we now live in a town adjacent to that one called Port Washington. Both towns are beautiful and have great schools. Schools, a down-to-earth community and commute are our top concerns. We would love to have someone tell us some of the pros and cons of Westfield vs. Chatham and the differences between them. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 09:13 PM

127 posts, read 544,481 times
Chatham is definitely safer and has better schools. Also, the county tax burden in Chatham (Morris County) is lower than in Westfield (Union County). Actually, these towns belong to different socio-economic groups (DFG) as defined by NJ Dept. of Education; Chatham is at the highest and the most prestigious group (J), while Westfield is a member of the I group. I would say that Chatham is an excellent choice, and Westfield is a very good one. On the other hand, Westfield is closer to Union, NJ, which may be very important in your personal situation. Good luck with your move!

Old 10-17-2008, 05:55 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
you can't go wrong with either. both are great choices with great schools. as far as tax burden, the COUNTY tax may be lower in morris, but that's a small part of your tax bill. i think chatham and westfield's overall taxes are probably about the same.

as far as DFG's, not much difference between I and J, and personally, one I'd not base any decision on.

if it were me, i'd find the house i liked the most!

Old 10-17-2008, 07:08 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times
I think that this post explains the difference between the two towns. Chatham is full of wannabe blue bloods. Westfield is much more down to earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelgaB View Post
Chatham is definitely safer and has better schools. Also, the county tax burden in Chatham (Morris County) is lower than in Westfield (Union County). Actually, these towns belong to different socio-economic groups (DFG) as defined by NJ Dept. of Education; Chatham is at the highest and the most prestigious group (J), while Westfield is a member of the I group. I would say that Chatham is an excellent choice, and Westfield is a very good one. On the other hand, Westfield is closer to Union, NJ, which may be very important in your personal situation. Good luck with your move!

Old 10-17-2008, 08:48 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times
I know Manhasset quite well. Chatham and Westfield are both very similar to Manhasset (and PW) demographically.

Now, the main difference between Chatham and Westfield is that the lots are bigger in Chatham. Chatham has a small downtown, and Westfield has a bigger (and very nice) downtown. I know both Chatham and Westfield VERY well, and trust me...you really cannot go wrong with either town. Both have excellent school as well.

To follow up on HelgaB's post, yes Westfield is closer to Union Township in proximity, but I think you will get to Union FASTER from Chatham since Chatham is right off Route I-78. Chatham is maybe 10 minutes from Union, Westfield you have to drive locally or take Parkway (more of a PIA in my opinion).

Old 10-17-2008, 03:00 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelgaB View Post
Chatham is also much more rural, farther from NYC and has a smaller downtown. I also don't know get the "much safer" comment. Westfield is about as safe as you can get. From what I hear, the schools are excellent, as well.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:00 PM

391 posts, read 1,476,612 times
i lived in Chatham for about 5 years. Prior to moving there, my wife and I had narrowed things down to Chatham & Westfield as well.

there are some differences between Chatham Twp & Chatham Borough worth mentioning. from many parts of the borough, you can walk to downtown & the train station. generally speaking, homes are smaller in the borough with smaller lot sizes.

the twp has a bit more of a "country" feel to it. most streets there do not have sidewalks.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:51 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
Chatham is also much more rural, farther from NYC and has a smaller downtown. I also don't know get the "much safer" comment. Westfield is about as safe as you can get. From what I hear, the schools are excellent, as well.
it's almost like me saying to my neighbor - "my house is much safer since I have 2 deadbolts and you have 1" - when the thief can just break the window and get in anyway...

Old 10-17-2008, 07:36 PM

6 posts, read 23,768 times
Thanks to all of you who have posted, your comments are very helpful. I am a teacher, and so I am impressed with Chatham's school ranking. It ranks higher than Westfield's. To me that's a plus. We also like the fact that it seems a bit more rural. We're afraid that Westfield can get congested since the downtown is such a draw. I would prefer a downtown like Westfield's if I knew that the traffic and congestion wouldn't really be an issue. I also wonder whether Westfield has a lot of through traffic due to its geographic location?

From what I have heard from people on this board and elsewhere, Westfield is a down-to-earth place. That's important for us since we are loooking for a town with a strong sense of community and people who are family-oriented and not overly materialistic. We don't know much about Chatham in this regard. Can anyone shed some light on this and the other issues I just described?

Old 10-17-2008, 08:39 PM

179 posts, read 706,525 times
Default Transportation

If your hubby needs public transportation to downtown NYC I think Westfield would be easier. Raritan Valley to NK; PATH to downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey