Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:15 AM

4 posts, read 31,086 times

Advertisements

I am in a BA/MA program as a Psychology Major. I have only taken 2 classes in School Counseling and am going to finish undergrad this semester (Fall). I am at a point where I can still change my major to Masters in Counseling Psychology, apply for a Psy. D. or finish the program I'm in.

I am a mom of 3 but have a lot of support at home. Because my kids are all in elem. sch. and have a ways to go I wanted to stay in a school sys initially (I have worked as a teacher in a pre school for 3 years and also happen to love kids and am great with them).

What interests me most right now is ultimately having a Family and Marriage Therapy practice.

I have been told that in NJ, if I finish my Masters in Counseling Psychology (48 credits) and get 12 more credits to satisfy NJ LPC (total 60 cr.) I can work for a school. If I work for 2 years in a school and have a supervisor come and observe me periodically I can get my license and can have private practice.

I am thinking if I am going to study for 3 years should I not apply to a 5 year track Psy. D program some universities are offering.

Please comment on my little plan here and play the devils advocate. If you have done a Psy. D. how hard is it, how much time from personal life does it take away. Should I forgo the Sc. Coun. even though I do have a good way with kids and focus on my later in life goal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 08:49 PM

272 posts, read 295,727 times
I have one child who has her Psy.D and another who is a school psychologist. Psy.D child tells friends who want to follow in her footsteps, if doing counseling go for masters but if you like kids school psychology... can't beat those hours and the benefits. Psy.D lots of school lots of loans, school psychologist desirable job more difficult to get a job.Have a friend with masters degree doing marriage counseling... doesn't have own business works for someone loves it.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:43 AM

983 posts, read 2,774,644 times
I don't know if you live within driving distance of Philadelphia, but Council for Relationships has a post-graduate certification program in marriage and family therapy. Once you get your masters, you can enroll in the program. I believe it is a 2 year program that includes coursework as well as client hours. Once you complete the program, you can practice as a marriage and family therapist. CFR is a highly-reputable institute, accredited by the AAMFT and has been around since 1932.

Web Site

Old 08-17-2009, 07:20 PM

188 posts, read 376,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoplepersonM View Post
I am in a BA/MA program as a Psychology Major. I have only taken 2 classes in School Counseling and am going to finish undergrad this semester (Fall). I am at a point where I can still change my major to Masters in Counseling Psychology, apply for a Psy. D. or finish the program I'm in.

I am a mom of 3 but have a lot of support at home. Because my kids are all in elem. sch. and have a ways to go I wanted to stay in a school sys initially (I have worked as a teacher in a pre school for 3 years and also happen to love kids and am great with them).

What interests me most right now is ultimately having a Family and Marriage Therapy practice.

I have been told that in NJ, if I finish my Masters in Counseling Psychology (48 credits) and get 12 more credits to satisfy NJ LPC (total 60 cr.) I can work for a school. If I work for 2 years in a school and have a supervisor come and observe me periodically I can get my license and can have private practice.

I am thinking if I am going to study for 3 years should I not apply to a 5 year track Psy. D program some universities are offering.

Please comment on my little plan here and play the devils advocate. If you have done a Psy. D. how hard is it, how much time from personal life does it take away. Should I forgo the Sc. Coun. even though I do have a good way with kids and focus on my later in life goal?
I have my MA in Counseling Psychology and a EdS in Mental Health Counseling (total 60 cr). Yes you do need to have 60 cr prior to getting the LPC but take note that you have to pass a touch NCE exam and have 4500 supervision hours. The Board located in Newark are making the req's tougher. I am in prep to take the NCE exam in Oct.

As far as School Counseling is concerned, it really depends what you would like to do. With an LPC, you can have your own practice. Please be advised that you should get your LPC. My director has told me categorically that she cannot hire anyone with just a masters anymore because the reqs in the state are becoming tougher (new administration). PM me if you have more questions. I have been in the field for 5 years now.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammyspot View Post
I have my MA in Counseling Psychology and a EdS in Mental Health Counseling (total 60 cr). Yes you do need to have 60 cr prior to getting the LPC but take note that you have to pass a touch NCE exam and have 4500 supervision hours. The Board located in Newark are making the req's tougher. I am in prep to take the NCE exam in Oct.

As far as School Counseling is concerned, it really depends what you would like to do. With an LPC, you can have your own practice. Please be advised that you should get your LPC. My director has told me categorically that she cannot hire anyone with just a masters anymore because the reqs in the state are becoming tougher (new administration). PM me if you have more questions. I have been in the field for 5 years now.
Thanks for your advice. I have heard doing a masters in social work makes getting ones LPC faster and easier. Even though it doesn't make sense but social workers can work as counselors do marriage and family, school etc. I this accurate according to what you have seen and heard.

Also what do you think of Psy D. Would that give me an edge, make it easier to get a job or get an LPC.

I have been told that there is no exam to get an LPC after masters in school counseling. Just approx two years of supervised hours and you get it.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:15 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,999,077 times
Exclamation You can get a job

much easier with an LCSW. You need to get a State License, but your possibilites of landing a job are much greater. LICENSED CLINICAL SOCIAL WORKERS are used en-masse in NYC, NJ, and California, as well as the rest of the nation, for psychiatric, drug, alcohol, and all types of counseling. You can also have your private pratice, as ALL MAJOR INSURANCES recognizes them.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
much easier with an LCSW. You need to get a State License, but your possibilites of landing a job are much greater. LICENSED CLINICAL SOCIAL WORKERS are used en-masse in NYC, NJ, and California, as well as the rest of the nation, for psychiatric, drug, alcohol, and all types of counseling. You can also have your private pratice, as ALL MAJOR INSURANCES recognizes them.
Do you think it would be better for me career wise, if I were to pursue a Psy. D.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your advice. I have heard doing a masters in social work makes getting ones LPC faster and easier. Even though it doesn't make sense but social workers can work as counselors do marriage and family, school etc. I this accurate according to what you have seen and heard.

Also what do you think of Psy D. Would that give me an edge, make it easier to get a job or get an LPC.

I have been told that there is no exam to get an LPC after masters in school counseling. Just approx two years of supervised hours and you get it.

MSW --> LSW or LCSW
MA--> LPC

You are correct however that Social Workers can do marriage and family therapy. You can conduct testing with a PsyD, a benefit to any counseling setting that you choose.

You can be certified as a school counselor..but thats not a LPC. Check out counseling.org for more specific info on credentials. The other alternative if you attend a school with a CACREP program. Google that word and you will find schools that are accredited with this program. In these said schools, you must complete and pass the NCE at the end of the program. Once you do, you are a LPC.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:04 PM

LPC's tend to have more clinical training than LCSW's. This is definitely true where I work.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Do you think it would be better for me career wise, if I were to pursue a Psy. D.
Its up to you...At my job, there is one PsyD and he is mainly used for testing for MR.

Last edited by cammyspot; 08-21-2009 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey