Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 07:12 PM

901 posts, read 2,249,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
In the most recent NJ Record this past Saturday, NJ has one of the highest salaries/wages in the nation. Bergen and Morris county is >$100k median salary/wages. This is also the reason why NJ is the most crowded state in the union per sq. mile. Yes, I would imagine for the marginal taxpayer, NJ is not ideal, but the jobs are here in NJ and close proximity to the city.

People are willing to pay an extra 1-2% in property tax and make $125k/year as a skilled professional employee in NJ.. the same job wil pay $40k in the Carolinas, Ohio, or Georgia.
Oh and the property tax part is also rubbish. I know people who live in NC, GA and SC and pay property taxes ranging from 900 to about 3000 annually all in nice areas, good schools and proximity to nearby cities for jobs (RDU, Columbia and Atlanta respectively). The equivalent here in NJ would be no less than 8000 year all the way up to 15000 in annual taxes. Clearly more than a 1-2% difference.

Last edited by OysterCatcher; 04-05-2015 at 07:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 11:38 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
If you're a high bracket salary tax payer you should live in areas where you get more bang for the buck. If you have family, your property taxes goes towards the schools, services, and area hospitals.

If you're pulling in cash business and earn cash than you should stay in NYC and continue to collect and abuse the system there. It's amazing there are many landlords in NYC that gets refunds on their tax returns.

If you are middle class guy you should live in a low tax area in Southern NJ, you just spend a little more on transit cost but you can get by.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:23 AM

832 posts, read 1,255,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basexc9 View Post
Camden is good if you can handle the commute. Taxes are great for NJ.
And if you don't mind dodging bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Personal faves Newark. Walkable with lots of diversity.
if you can do a Neo style bullets dodging

Old 04-10-2015, 09:29 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
Three times as much in wages for a professional job! This is just not correct. More like 100K in NC vrs 125K in NJ maybe that much difference if that.
If you live in North Jersey and commute to NYC, salaries are often 2-3x higher than other poor states.
An experienced administrative assistant at a fortune500 who commutes to NYC can make 75-125k/year.
Starting salaries out of college in finance is $75k which max out around $250k. Media, ad agencies, 75k maxed at around $150k.
Law firms pay $150k starting in NYC.

I know that people in the midwest and south make $30-$50k as a secretary.

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 04-10-2015 at 09:37 AM..

Old 04-10-2015, 09:32 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
Oh and the property tax part is also rubbish. I know people who live in NC, GA and SC and pay property taxes ranging from 900 to about 3000 annually all in nice areas, good schools and proximity to nearby cities for jobs (RDU, Columbia and Atlanta respectively). The equivalent here in NJ would be no less than 8000 year all the way up to 15000 in annual taxes. Clearly more than a 1-2% difference.
Well that's because the homes are not only more expensive, they are generally larger in NJ via square footage. 4000-5000 sq foot home in NJ priced at $1-$1.25 million is very common.

Also home price appreciation is signifincatly higher in Northeast Jersey vs. the states you listed above. There is a reason why people live in NJ.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:35 AM

65 posts, read 67,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnonothimagain View Post
My opinion (for what that's worth) is to AVOID NJ at ALL COSTS. Unless someone "has" to move here I see no reason why anyone would want to live here. And for those of you (all 3) who love NJ, good for you. My personal reasons to hate NJ?

Worst cost of living that I've ever seen unless you're making $100K+, and forget trying to move back out.You'll get taxed again for daring to leave the state.

Second HIGHEST Property taxes in the NATION.

Crime Gangs Illegals Drugs.

The produce that NJ is famous for? Yep great stuff- but NOT cheap by any means.

Rains every 27 minutes here.

Going to the shore for a nice "relaxing" day? "fuggeddaboutit" Between the 2-3 hour drive back from the shore you
have to fight the shoobies and the drunks coming home. And unless you get to a shore area around 9am, it's a nightmare.

Drivers in NJ only know 2 speeds- 70+ in the rain/snow, and 50-60 on the main streets. AND many hog the "fast" lane on most every
highway driving right at the speed limit or a little below forcing people to pass on the right.
Drivers using the shoulder of every road as a "regular" lane especially to pass ANYONE turning left.
FORGET about anybody "allowing" you to merge on a NJ road. Worst road rage and worst manners I've ever encountered.

Crappy weather. Two Seasons on average Winter and Summer.

No jobs. Unemployment in Southern NJ averages around 14-15% regardless of what Politicians say. Crappy Jobs when you can find one.

The State Capital only cares about certain areas of the state- If you happen to live in a poor county like Cumberland, you're off the list for ANYTHING.

Worst roads in the Nation as far as I can tell. Potholes don't get fixed- and Utility crews are ALWAYS tearing up perfectly good roads to make repairs, and leave the roads worse off than they were originally.

Everything GOOD that's Medical is only in Philly or Northern NJ.

I've lived in 2 cities now in Southern NJ so far. Millville and Vineland. And they are both full of gangs and Illegals.

If I could afford to leave- I would in a heartbeat. I get why many people love it here- but it's not a place to try and live if you're not well off.
Two classes of citizens here. The very well off and the very poor. Not much "Middle class" left. And that brings me to another "why".

Why do more people LEAVE NJ than those COMING in ?
Check around-more people are vacating the state and ILLEGALS are taking their place.

And those are just a few of the wonderful things about NJ.
This is ridiculous.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:41 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelp88 View Post
This is ridiculous.
Definitely. I would even go as far to say it's not even worth talking about.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:31 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
The OP never came back anyway. Just a driveby.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:33 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The OP never came back anyway. Just a driveby.
Well, looks like I don't have to clean off the couch then...

Old 04-10-2015, 01:43 PM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamarie View Post
What are some great spots to live in New Jersey. Coming from New York City. Please help me !
Fords, along new brunswick ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey