Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2015, 01:34 PM

6 posts, read 8,547 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family (girlfriend + daughter) are born and raised in Brooklyn. Brooklyn has several great areas and a crap load of disgusting neighborhoods. We are a young black couple in search of a better place to raise our kid. Our 8 year old needs a better school system. Unfortunately the public school system in Brooklyn sucks(for the most part), and you only get decent schools in the very expenses areas.

We are currently looking for a two bedroom rental for $1400-$1450 or less. I know this is challenging in Bergen County. We found an apartment complex in New Milford for $1435. New Milford Estates. We know New Milford doesn't have the most top rated schools, but are good nonetheless. And I am assuming a hundred times better than most Brooklyn schools.

We plan to stay while we build on our careers(me: Internet Marketing - girlfriend:Social Work/HR), and move in about three years to a better area, like River Edge, Westwood, Oradell, etc.... We'll see.

A little about us. I am a techy type. My field is Internet Marketing and Web development. I am also in school. My girlfriend works in Social work, but is looking to move into Human Resources, or a different area of social work[ let us know if you know of anything ]... We are both social, friendly people.

We both DESPISE ghetto people. That's a HUGE part of the reason we're leaving Brooklyn. We are looking for a peaceful place with no(or little) crime, and, of course, good schools. I work in Manhattan, and I will be commuting via bus/train. My girlfriend works in Queens, but is searching for a position in Manhattan. We are looking to move in June when school is out.

We are not looking for a party place. If there aren't any bars/lounges/clubs in the area, that is completely fine. We don't mind driving a little when we want to go out.

From what I have expressed, do you think this is a good move for us?
Any other places/recommendations that we can find a 2bdroom for <$1400?
How's the realistic commute to Manhattan? 902 broadway. Google Maps is saying 756 bus to 177 bus to N train. Another route is the Passaic Valley Line(?) to PATH to Walking.... These are saying 1hr and 15-30mins. Is this realistic or is traffic going to be hitting somewhere on a daily basis?

What is the job market like in Bergen County? Paramus has a city area with jobs?
Would we be experiencing any racism in New Milford or Bergen County in general?

If you can provide any other information to help our move, that would be highly appreciated.

P.s. I may look to get a job closer to Bergen County when we move.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 12:35 PM

256 posts, read 398,677 times
If you found a 2-br place for less than $1500 then I would say you found a nice deal, assuming that the place isn't a total mess.

I would be lucky to find a 1-br place for that amount of money. I would expect 2-br apartments to go for over $2500/mo. New Milford, as far as I know, is a good place. I feel the schools are good. When people say a school is good or bad, it's less about facts and more about perceived reputation which, unfortunately, weighs more on people's minds.

However, if you like the area and the 2-br isn't a scam, then I say go for it. I'm just a little surprised that there is a 2-br place for so cheap.

As far as racism is concerned, I personally have not experienced much overt racism, but that's not to say people are without their flaws. If I were to answer your question based on my own experience, I have found Bergen County people to be tolerant and decent people. I have come across some jerks on the roads, but their anger probably had more to do with frustrations in traffic rather than directing racism at me for the way I look.

Good luck.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:18 PM

6 posts, read 8,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_vader123 View Post
If you found a 2-br place for less than $1500 then I would say you found a nice deal, assuming that the place isn't a total mess.

I would be lucky to find a 1-br place for that amount of money. I would expect 2-br apartments to go for over $2500/mo. New Milford, as far as I know, is a good place. I feel the schools are good. When people say a school is good or bad, it's less about facts and more about perceived reputation which, unfortunately, weighs more on people's minds.

However, if you like the area and the 2-br isn't a scam, then I say go for it. I'm just a little surprised that there is a 2-br place for so cheap.

As far as racism is concerned, I personally have not experienced much overt racism, but that's not to say people are without their flaws. If I were to answer your question based on my own experience, I have found Bergen County people to be tolerant and decent people. I have come across some jerks on the roads, but their anger probably had more to do with frustrations in traffic rather than directing racism at me for the way I look.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info! There are just a couple at that price in apartment buildings.. Small communities.

But making the move to New Milford is not looking good. Not for any of Bergen County actually. The schools open about 8:15... In order for us to be to work in manhattan on time, we'd need to leave about 7:30. And I called, the school doesn't know of any early drop-off service.

Only way to make this happen is if we find positions in Bergen or somewhere not too far. I guess only one of us would have to find that position. Wish us luck!

Old 04-14-2015, 05:06 PM

256 posts, read 398,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborn718 View Post
Thanks for the info! There are just a couple at that price in apartment buildings.. Small communities.

But making the move to New Milford is not looking good. Not for any of Bergen County actually. The schools open about 8:15... In order for us to be to work in manhattan on time, we'd need to leave about 7:30. And I called, the school doesn't know of any early drop-off service.

Only way to make this happen is if we find positions in Bergen or somewhere not too far. I guess only one of us would have to find that position. Wish us luck!
Will do. I didn't know schools opened at 8:15am. That's going to be a problem for me when my little one gets to that age.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:59 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times
Have you considered Bay Ridge in Brooklyn? My wife lived there and it was nice, easy commute on the R train, and schools are surprisingly highly rated for NYC per greatschools.org. She had a two bedroom third floor walkup for $1400.

If your rent in NJ is $1400, you'll be paying more like $1600-$1800 per month once you factor in transit and potentially having a car.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:42 AM

131 posts, read 274,127 times
I might look at finding jobs in NJ first before moving to NJ. I do understand wanting to get out of Brooklyn and wanting to improve your child's education.

Your wife will have to obtain a SW license in NJ which is a pretty easy process and there are regular SW jobs to be had here (not sure about the HR level, etc).

Maybe even a town like Rutherford might work once your wife gets a job in NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey