Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2015, 10:33 AM

60 posts, read 116,001 times

Advertisements

hey thanks for reading! we are looking to move to northern NJ from northeast Philadelphia where we live currently live, i am from here all my life but my wife is originally from bronx NY. we want to move to Jersey because we are looking to buy a home and put down long term roots in a safe area and not have to worry about having to sell and move in a few years when the area goes pot like here where like clockwork every 3 years we have to move north. there is nothing holding us in Philly area - we are self employed and my wife wants to be no longer than an hours drive in traffic to the GW bridge so she can easily get to her parents in riverdale NY. we own an online business and eventually we would like to open a store front as well.

counties we want to be in are bergen, essex, union and passaic. i am 33, wife is 31 and we have 5 boys that are 13, 11, 8, 5 years old and one 10 month old baby boy.

we want to be in a nice safe town with a solid future. we don't want to be nowhere that's on a downside cuz we are looking for a home (not just a investment) that me and my wife can live in till we die or retire in scottsdale az whichever comes first. we need a 3 bedroom single home (the boys double up and we can add and extra room if need be one day), in a good and solid family oriented town. schools are very important for us because here in Philly we were dreading our oldest becoming high school aged and having to pay twenty grand to put him in catholic school. we don't need to be able too walk everywhere but my wife doesn't drive so it's important that if i am away from the house with our car my wife isn't stranded and can walk to a bodega, a fast food joint/diner/pizzeria/Chinese place and her and my oldest can walk to a bus stop. even though we aren't gonna be commuting to NYC we think it would be a great thing so we don't have to fight traffic for our family to go spend a day in Manhattan.

i don't have much experience with northern NJ but if any of you know Camden county, the kind of places that i like for the "feel", demographic composition and such and would live in over there would be: haddon heights, haddon twp, haddonfield, audobon, berlin boro and even Gloucester city. in north NJ i do not have too much experience but i do very much like Cranford, west Milford and Wayne and would like to know more towns like that so that we have as many options as possible. i have only heard good things about nutley and totowa and the other towns close to paterson but i am concerned that these places may be "changing" or getting some spillover from paterson by looking at the demographics between 2000 and 2010. if possible we would like somewhere more owner-occupied for obvious reasons but i have no idea how to find that information.

our budget is about $400,000 but of course it is our goal to spend less if we could. taxes as low as possible obviously but definitely under 10 grand. we only want a one story home i do not like running up steps if can be avoided. we don't need a very updated or renovated home. we are not the type of people to need a fancy kitchen and don't care if things are old as long as it is clean and everything works. we are also considering Long Island, parts of Staten Island or some places in lower Westchester County so if you can suggest anything there that you think would suit our family better please suggest.

thank you so much and have a great day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey