Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:28 AM

45 posts, read 181,863 times

Advertisements

What would you consider to be some of the better schools in Northern OCean county to North western ocean county as far as public schools go. Not just specific towns, but the specific school in the specific town.

What school would you send your child to if given the choice in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 08:36 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,958,790 times
Jackson has made some great improvements over the last several years. I would consider Brick Memorial also. The jury is out on Toms River, although I hear Toms River East is good. Other then those 3 I don't know much about anything else.

Personally though.....Freehold Regional High School District is Monmouth County and close to both towns (for the most part) - I'd probably look there first. Howell, Freehold, Marlboro, and Manalpan all are a part of that district.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:37 AM

72 posts, read 213,896 times
berkley township has some VERY good elementary schools up to 6 grade. the high school(which is a different school board) is horrible in my opinion.(centrl regional)

Old 01-17-2008, 03:45 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,927 times
If your asking opinion then I can tell you I have a couple of friends that are choosing to move out of Brick because they don't like the schools (one of them is a teacher in a different district). Honestly I can't give you specifics because I never went into it.

I live in Toms River and I have also heard the the TR HS East is the preferred of the 3. Elementary schools seems to be Hooper Ave is a good one.

OC schools are not the best in NJ as far as scores. I have my own opinions why that is. I could choose to live where the schools perform better but I've chosen Toms River because I want my daughter to grow up close to the water and I like the people. If I strictly wanted the best school I could afford I would move to Livingston.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1luvvt View Post
berkley township has some VERY good elementary schools up to 6 grade. the high school(which is a different school board) is horrible in my opinion.(centrl regional)
How is the berkley area?? I am looking for elementary, not worried about highschool as my daughter will be going into first grade next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
If your asking opinion then I can tell you I have a couple of friends that are choosing to move out of Brick because they don't like the schools (one of them is a teacher in a different district). Homestly I can't give you specifics because i never went into it.
yes, i was asking for opinion and any experiences. We are looking for a lower priced home, but do not want to sacrifice our children's educations. Just trying to figure out where would be the best area to look for a home.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:34 PM

Why Ocean County? Have you considered Burlington County?

Old 01-18-2008, 12:41 PM

we have looked as far west as new egypt, but my husband works in lakewood and i will be working in sea girt. our family is in monmouth county. Burlington county is a long haul.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:46 PM

how about Barnegat?.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:15 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,651 times
The best schools in Ocean County are in Point Pleasant and Point Pleasant Beach.
I live in Lacey, and I really like the town and its schools. In recent years I did see one of the better grammar school teachers defect over to Berkeley because they pay better.
IMO, there is nothing further South of Lacey when it comes to education. I know that you have said that you are not looking past grammar school right now, but the graduation rate in a town like Barnegat is downright awful.
Have you looked in Monmouth County?
If you commute to Sea Girt why not look in that area?
Manasquan and Brielle have good schools.

If you definitely want Ocean County then I would tell you Point for schools, and Lacey because it is a bit more affordable than Point and has good schools.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:30 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Fischfan is correct when you check test scores. #1 in Ocean County is Point Pleasant Beach followed by Point Pleasant Borough at #2. IMHO they are very good schools and you will be happy with either. 15 minutes from Sea Girt for you and 15 minutes from Lakewood for your hubby. I have not met anyone from either town that does not like the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey