Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 09:43 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Why would they expect that? Let's clear up a few things:

1) Social Security is not an investment. It is insurance. You don't earn a "return" on Social Security.

2) Social Security is not paid for by FICA taxes. That is a lie. Social Security is funded through a government agency. The Federal Government as we know is monetarily sovereign; it creates it's own sovereign currency at will, with the only limitation being an inflation that cannot be cured by raising interest rates (which it also controls). It is impossible for the Federal Government, thus Social Security, to ever be bankrupt.

3) Chris Christie is pandering to the donor class. Cutting Social Security is the 1%'s goal, as it widens the gap between themselves and everyone else.

4) To reiterate, there is no Social Security crisis. It is all lies and politics.

Do you have any sources where I can read more about this? Not challenging what you are saying, I am genuinely interested in learning more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
We all like the politician that will stick to the other guy (Republicans like when they stick it to the poor and disenfranchised, Democrats like when they stick to the rich), not so much when they stick it us. I know so many public worker Repubs who hate Christie simply because he's going after their stuff, not realizing that IS PART of the Repub platform. Makes me laugh.

I don't understand the mental capacity that you must have to vote on the basis of sticking it to someone else.

I know a few public workers who sometimes vote republican and tend to think right-of-center fiscally, but as far as I have gleaned from conversations, it has more to do with the hope of seeing appropriate spending cuts, when necessary, than it does with group think. By appropriate spending cuts, I mean where the cuts are actually needed, not that money be shifted to be mismanaged.

I think that for many people, the issue with Christie is that he has no self-control, presents himself as a child, and he appears to run the gamut between dishonest and downright scummy. The people of NJ (all of us, me and the other guy too) deserve better than that.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:10 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
Christie is talking about means testing social security payments. Not sure how that panders to the 1%.
You have to read the post again. "Means Testing" is a lie. Social Security does not need to be "means tested" or "rationed." It is funded by the U.S. government crediting U.S. dollars into the accounts of its recipients. Poof! (Money is created through Deficit Spending into the Reserve Banking System). FICA is a lie. Social Security "solvency" is a lie. Taxes do not fund any Federal Spending.

It panders to the 1% because the myth of Federal Government finances is a lie used to widen the gap between the 1% and everyone else. The Federal government does not need tax revenues to fund anything.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:05 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
I don't understand the mental capacity that you must have to vote on the basis of sticking it to someone else.

I know a few public workers who sometimes vote republican and tend to think right-of-center fiscally, but as far as I have gleaned from conversations, it has more to do with the hope of seeing appropriate spending cuts, when necessary, than it does with group think. By appropriate spending cuts, I mean where the cuts are actually needed, not that money be shifted to be mismanaged.

I think that for many people, the issue with Christie is that he has no self-control, presents himself as a child, and he appears to run the gamut between dishonest and downright scummy. The people of NJ (all of us, me and the other guy too) deserve better than that.
I don't vote that way. Most do.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I don't vote that way. Most do.
If so, it is a sad state of affairs how deeply politics have divided us.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:55 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,172,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
I hate Christie, but SS is an entitlement. Just the current definition used by every politician including the president.
Everything is an entitlements by our "leaders" standard.

Our dear "leader" said "Don't let any body tell you corporations and business create jobs".

Yeap, your job is a entitlement granted by the almighty government. You should be grateful that they only take 50% before property tax and sales tax and whatever other taxes they have out there.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:47 AM

19,121 posts, read 25,320,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
You should be grateful that they only take 50% before property tax and sales tax and whatever other taxes they have out there.
You clearly need to find somebody competent to prepare your tax returns, as it is obvious that you have been grossly overpaying your federal income taxes.
50%?
Nope
Not even close...

Federal Income Tax Brackets 2015

Old 05-08-2015, 02:27 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,172,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
You clearly need to find somebody competent to prepare your tax returns, as it is obvious that you have been grossly overpaying your federal income taxes.
50%?
Nope
Not even close...

Federal Income Tax Brackets 2015

If you are looking at federal income tax, then yes, it is only at 39.6%.

Are you going to add up the 12.4% of SSN tax on the first 117k? 2.9% medicare tax on the first 200k and then 3.8% of all income above 200k? Investment/passive income used to be exempt from medicare tax and now included. Itemized deductions phasing after 254k.

Ohh, almost forgot the low NJ 8.97% income tax.

So you telling me the government don't take more than 50% on income tax along?

Old 05-08-2015, 03:43 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,254,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
You have to read the post again. "Means Testing" is a lie. Social Security does not need to be "means tested" or "rationed." It is funded by the U.S. government crediting U.S. dollars into the accounts of its recipients. Poof! (Money is created through Deficit Spending into the Reserve Banking System). FICA is a lie. Social Security "solvency" is a lie. Taxes do not fund any Federal Spending.

It panders to the 1% because the myth of Federal Government finances is a lie used to widen the gap between the 1% and everyone else. The Federal government does not need tax revenues to fund anything.

So you are saying we should abolish taxes?

Old 05-08-2015, 06:18 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,021 times
The 8.97% does not apply to all income. It is the rate once income reaches a certain level but only on the income above that amount
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: