Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2015, 05:04 PM

4 posts, read 4,242 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My room mate and I was recently approved for an apartment.

We paid the following:
- Application Fee
- 100$ Commitment Deposit (To Hold the Unit during Approval/Application Process)

We were originally going to schedule a day to go into the office to sign the lease and get the keys.

However, due to financial and person reasons, we do not think it would be in our best interest to get the apartment because we would be paying paycheck to paycheck.

In this case, do we get penalized for calling the leasing office and say we have to decline the apartment? And would this hurt our credit scores since we applied for the apartment, was approved but decided not to rent it?

We did not pay a security deposit or sign any leasing documents. The only signed documents are the application and background check documents. The $100 commitment deposit was through a signed check to the apartment complex, which stated above was to hold the unit until a lease was signed.

Basically, will turning this apartment down hurt our credit scores? Would the credit score be reflected on my online FICO score?

Thank you!
Sam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 08:05 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,428,453 times
no, and you get to complain about not getting your 100 back

Old 05-03-2015, 12:02 AM

Wait, so it won't hurt my credit score right because no lease was ever signed? lol

And yeah, I pretty much accepted that the $100 is gone, but I think it's worth the headache of possibly signing a contract for a year with a bigger dent to my money.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:09 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,255,242 times
If the leasing office did a "hard check" for your credit then it will effect your credit score. They may have made the inquiry. This will show up on your credit report when you review it. You can check through credit karma for free.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:32 AM

Yes I googled information regarding soft and hard checks. But the hard check would only be effect my credit score ONCE for that single hard check right? I think it would be better than missing payments and feeling financially stressed if we were to sign for the apartment officially.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:59 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
A credit check from an apartment leasing office is not going to hurt your credit score. Don't worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey