Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 05:17 AM

2 posts, read 4,304 times

Advertisements

Greetings,
I was recently admitted into NYU for grad school and I have started the daunting task of apartment hunting. As a southern girl (although born in nj, I was raised in NC and currently live in KY) I think living in nj would give me the space I am use to. I am, however, wondering if the cost benefit makes the commute to nyu worth it. Also, are there any suggestions for areas that feature a not too distant commute. It seems that neighborhoods near the PATH are VERY expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am doing this search from afar and will complie a list and head up very soon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 07:25 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
You might want to look at apartments in Harrison, NJ.
While it is...let's just say...not the most attractive place to live, it is safe and rents there are certainly cheaper than what you would find in most of Jersey City or Hoboken. Harrison's location--on the PATH line--would make for an easy commute.

My second suggestion would be Bayonne. While you would need to take the Light Rail in order to connect with the PATH in Jersey City, it would still be a relatively easy commute, and the rents are also cheaper than what you would find in Jersey City and Hoboken.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:46 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,594,813 times
All depends on how close you want to be to the city and how comfortable you are with various living densities. The further out you go the easier the living as far as urbanity, like another 20 minutes out on the train things get different.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:45 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,189,933 times
Jersey City and Hoboken are within commuting distance but you might need to consider having a roommate to keep the cost down. Not sure if you're attending college for undergrad or grad, but considering early & late classes and team assignments (not even mentioning the social life), you don't want to be more than 30 mins away or having to change too many trains.

Have you considered Queens or Brooklyn?

Old 03-23-2015, 09:51 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,871,098 times
What program and how long will you be spending at school every day? I just straight up moved to Manhattan and found a less expensive place during the summer of my first year at NYU. Commuting every day to the Village is a total pain from Queens and NJ, especially when the trains are running late for one reason or another and compounded when you go someplace like Josie Woods for a few drinks with classmates on a Friday and have to get home at 11.

I think you should look to Hamilton Heights/Washington Heights, which was about 40 minutes door to door for me.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:43 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,828,926 times
i would look into Long Island city instead of NJ. Living in NJ, you will need a car.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:43 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,775,992 times
I think people here are ignoring your concerns, but the first thing you have to answer is how often you are going to be at NYU and if you will have any early morning or night classes. I REALLY can't see a Kentucky girl living in Bayonne or Harrison

Old 03-25-2015, 08:00 AM

472 posts, read 812,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
I think people here are ignoring your concerns, but the first thing you have to answer is how often you are going to be at NYU and if you will have any early morning or night classes. I REALLY can't see a Kentucky girl living in Bayonne or Harrison
Agreed.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:01 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
I REALLY can't see a Kentucky girl living in Bayonne or Harrison
Hmmm...I guess that you have never seen Covington and Newport, Kentucky.
Compared to those two cities, Bayonne and Harrison are like Paris and Rome...

Old 03-25-2015, 08:21 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,775,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Hmmm...I guess that you have never seen Covington and Newport, Kentucky.
Compared to those two cities, Bayonne and Harrison are like Paris and Rome...

Obviously you have never lived in Bayonne or Harrison
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey