Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 11:16 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
When I lived in Monmouth County, we would go to the beach only a few times each year, usually Point Pleasant. We lived less than 10 miles away, off 195, but the traffic was terrible, unless you went very early in the morning. Also, the parking lots would fill up early. Ultimately, it was too much of a hassle to go very often.
If you go to one of the popular beaches with the boardwalk and rides and games, yup, you're going to hit the crowds and traffic. I just want to go to the beach to sit on the beach and swim and read my book. Don't need any entertainment beyond that. So I take local roads six miles from my home to the beach, and I find street parking. Used to be free, but last year Long Branch got smart and put up pay stations and numbered the spaces on the streets on the ocean side of Ocean Boulevard. You can still park for free on the side streets on the other side of Ocean Boulevard and just walk a little further. I paid because I have a job and can spring for the two bucks an hour parking. Maybe another time I will walk from one of the other streets if I plan to stay more than two or three hours.

I eat before I go and bring a bottle of water, and afterward I get pizza at Scala's or a burger at the Windmill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I miss NJ beaches. Mostly, I miss the private beach where our house was. House on the beach, just yards from the water, and the street leading up to it was privately owned. We used to swim over to Sandy Hook on the incoming tide and return home on the outgoing. But that was many years ago and the house is no longer there (fire not hurricane). I didn't miss the traffic because we never had any and we didn't go anywhere other than into town for minor shopping. Rainy days were for doing a big shopping.

So I'm envious, MQ. Have an extra swim just for me, please.
I will, NY Annie, and you enjoy Tennessee. One of my friends whose husband's company moved just relocated last year to outside of Nashville. Her photos of the area are gorgeous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 12:32 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,989 times
Sounds like a great day

I haven't been to the shore in quite some time.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:12 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
inb4 "how can they charge for the beach!"

Old 06-15-2015, 01:43 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,457,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
in the south they actually pay you to go to the beach.....

Old 06-15-2015, 03:02 PM

472 posts, read 812,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I miss NJ beaches. Mostly, I miss the private beach where our house was. House on the beach, just yards from the water, and the street leading up to it was privately owned. We used to swim over to Sandy Hook on the incoming tide and return home on the outgoing. But that was many years ago and the house is no longer there (fire not hurricane). I didn't miss the traffic because we never had any and we didn't go anywhere other than into town for minor shopping. Rainy days were for doing a big shopping.

So I'm envious, MQ. Have an extra swim just for me, please.
I go to Sandy Hook, too. I used to go to Long Branch, but I think Sandy Hook is just a little bit better.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:48 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
When I had a little one and lived about an hour away, I took him to the beach for the day often-at least every week or two. My husband, son and I would go about three or four times between Memorial Day and mid-September. We'd fish and crab a couple of times each season, too. It was a lot of fun.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:36 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman27 View Post
I go to Sandy Hook, too. I used to go to Long Branch, but I think Sandy Hook is just a little bit better.
Sandy Hook is nice because it's a natural beach. I love going there in the off-season. I was there in early May on Old Monmouth Weekend. Saw the lighthouse and the museum, then walked along the beach further up.

But for hanging at the beach for a few hours, I'll do LB. Sandy Hook gets very crowded, plus you pay $15 to get in.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:51 AM

472 posts, read 812,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sandy Hook is nice because it's a natural beach. I love going there in the off-season. I was there in early May on Old Monmouth Weekend. Saw the lighthouse and the museum, then walked along the beach further up.

But for hanging at the beach for a few hours, I'll do LB. Sandy Hook gets very crowded, plus you pay $15 to get in.
Sandy Hook does get really crowded. It's better if you go on weekdays, though. Also, why do we need to pay to go to the beach? It's ridiculous.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:45 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Sandy Hook does get really crowded. It's better if you go on weekdays, though. Also, why do we need to pay to go to the beach? It's ridiculous.
That's a different thread.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:00 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,866,616 times
Quote:
Also, why do we need to pay to go to the beach? It's ridiculous.
@tahiti:
Yahtzee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey