Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 08:48 AM

26 posts, read 135,243 times

Advertisements

My fiance recently purchased auto insurance from Geico. Geico was previously unaware that I even existed until she inquired about how much it would cost to add me to her policy? I have a valid NJ driver's license but do not own a car because I commute to NYC. Admittedly, I drive her car occassionally (mostly weekends). After her inquiry, Geico is now alerted of my existence and will be mailing us a form requiring that I be added onto her policy simply because we live in the same household and irrespective of whether I drive her car or not. Now, I am afraid her premiums will go up by adding me to her policy. The question is, does Geico or any other auto insurance have the right to force to add me whether I drive or not just because we live under the same roof? Does New Jersey have any exclusion to this rule? Are there any suggestions anyone could offer so as to avoid having me added? We were thinking of convincing the insurance company that we are no longer together, although if that excuse was acceptable, everyone would do it.
While I understand it is generally a good idea to add me to her policy, in my opinion the number of occassions I drive her car does not warrant for me to be added. If need be, I'll never drive her car again. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 08:54 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2the4 View Post
My fiance recently purchased auto insurance from Geico. Geico was previously unaware that I even existed until she inquired about how much it would cost to add me to her policy? I have a valid NJ driver's license but do not own a car because I commute to NYC. Admittedly, I drive her car occassionally (mostly weekends). After her inquiry, Geico is now alerted of my existence and will be mailing us a form requiring that I be added onto her policy simply because we live in the same household and irrespective of whether I drive her car or not. Now, I am afraid her premiums will go up by adding me to her policy. The question is, does Geico or any other auto insurance have the right to force to add me whether I drive or not just because we live under the same roof? Does New Jersey have any exclusion to this rule? Are there any suggestions anyone could offer so as to avoid having me added? We were thinking of convincing the insurance company that we are no longer together, although if that excuse was acceptable, everyone would do it.
While I understand it is generally a good idea to add me to her policy, in my opinion the number of occassions I drive her car does not warrant for me to be added. If need be, I'll never drive her car again. Thanks.
how old are you? if you are a male under 25 or so, the rates could go up, you have little in the way of grounds to appeal their decision.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:10 AM

26 posts, read 135,243 times
i'm 29 and another concern was having recently received a speeding ticket in New York. I hope it doesn't show up in NJ.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:44 AM

625 posts, read 3,634,990 times
My friend just had that same experience with Geico. Her son turned 17, got his license, they got him a car. She inquired about adding him and they automatically raised her premiums!!! They did the same thing to me when they found out I had gotten two tickets (no points). I really think it was because I was in a hit and run accident where I was the victim and my car was totaled. She switched to Progressive and saved about $4k per year I switched to NJCure and saved about 5k per year. Geico was great when they first came here, now their quotes have gotten insane.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:14 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,667,253 times
Geico was never great for me - they asked for triple my current policy for car insurance, and *FIVE TIMES* the premium for motorcycle insurance through Rider.

Imho, the commercials are a load of bs.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:27 AM

625 posts, read 3,634,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Geico was never great for me - they asked for triple my current policy for car insurance, and *FIVE TIMES* the premium for motorcycle insurance through Rider.

Imho, the commercials are a load of bs.

But i do love their gecko. He is so cute.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:47 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,930,743 times
This is the first I have heard of this. Does this mean that you are supposed to add someone you live with to your policy even if you are not married? To go one step further, can you combine both of your cars onto one policy? I guess I just assumed that a couple needed to be married in order to share a policy.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:44 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,289 times
Geico advertises great rates for teachers, every time I call it's 2 or 3 times what I currently pay. Find a local independent agent, tell the truth and see what they can do for you. I know NJ is a bugger to get insurance, but playing it safe is better than having her dropped and not being able to get insurance if you're not insured. With two drivers and only 1 car, the premiums shouldn't be that much of a difference.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:22 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Moved to NC. I had NJM for 26 years and my last policy in NJ was $1100. I matched the policy down here first with Geico and then with Encompass. Geico wanted $525, Encompass got it down to $471. Moving to NC...Priceless!

Old 02-01-2008, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 39,333 times
i have a similar question

i am an 18 year old male who received his "limited" license last April and will have a full license this april. i dont have car insurance as my mum/friends usually drives me around and i do not have my own car. i took the normal in-school half-semester driving class and took more than 6 hours of driving practice with a driving school before taking the test in the driving instructor's car. I have never gotten behind the wheel of my mother's car.

my mother's insurance agent called a few days ago saying that because i live in the same household as my mum, new jersey state law says that i HAVE to have insurance regardless whether i drive.... and i can either get my own insurance(way expensive) or go under my mum's policy...

is this true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey