Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2007, 05:15 AM

1 posts, read 18,413 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I stay in NJ and received a speeding violation ticket in PA (55 mph to 84 mph). I have been penalized under section 3362. Does anyone know for sure as to how would this affect my auto insurance and that what steps should be taken to get rid of this ticket?

Thanks,
ashunidhi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 07:31 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
You'll get points on your license just like if you got the ticket in NJ, and your insurance will be increased accordingly, just like if you got the ticket in NJ. How much the insurance will go up depends on your insurance company- some forgive one violation.

As far as "getting rid of the ticket", there's nothing you can do about that. You could plead "not guilty" and go to court in PA, and try to get the ticket reduced, but that's all up to the prosecutor and the judge.

Bob

Old 06-05-2007, 08:09 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,919,325 times
See if you can go to court and get the ticket reduced to a 0 point violation. Note that they may increase the initial fine, but that would be worth it compared to paying a higher insurance premium for the next 3 years.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:55 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,681,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashunidhi View Post
Hi,
I stay in NJ and received a speeding violation ticket in PA (55 mph to 84 mph). I have been penalized under section 3362. Does anyone know for sure as to how would this affect my auto insurance and that what steps should be taken to get rid of this ticket?

Thanks,
ashunidhi
how it affects your insurance will depend on your company. i got 3 speeding tickets within 2 years - one in WA, one in NC, one in NJ, and while the points did transfer to my record, my insurance did not go up. i got another ticket in NJ 4 years later, went to court, got the points down from 4 to 2, but still had to pay the same fine (the judge has discretion and when you add court costs, it was the same as if I paid the fine w/o going to court). again, my insurance did not go up.

happy to say i'm ticket free going on 7 yrs.

hopefully you have New Jersey Manufacturers!

Old 06-06-2007, 10:09 AM

NJM is by far the best ins. comp. in NJ (probably in the country)! But they are very selective and only certain people are eligible for NJM auto ins.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:24 PM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,297,062 times
Switch to Geico will save you lots of money on auto insurance ... NJM is the good auto insurance of the past ... another ones are C21, Mercury, and AIC.

Again, just randomly ask 10 Indian and they will tell you. I trust them more on finding cost effective auto insurance.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehs View Post
Switch to Geico will save you lots of money on auto insurance ... NJM is the good auto insurance of the past ... another ones are C21, Mercury, and AIC.

Again, just randomly ask 10 Indian and they will tell you. I trust them more on finding cost effective auto insurance.
NJM is a nonprofit company and provides dividends to its customers. When I lived in NJ and when Geico started servicing the state, a couple friends quoted NJM and Geico and NJM was cheaper (and that's not even including the aforementioned dividends). Maybe in the past year since I moved, things have changed.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:51 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,681,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
NJM is a nonprofit company and provides dividends to its customers. When I lived in NJ and when Geico started servicing the state, a couple friends quoted NJM and Geico and NJM was cheaper (and that's not even including the aforementioned dividends). Maybe in the past year since I moved, things have changed.
it's going to depends on many factors I guess. i've gotten quotes from all the "low cost" providers and NJM still was lower by several hundred - plus you can't beat the dividends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey