Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2015, 03:52 PM

13 posts, read 11,741 times

Advertisements

We'll be there on the night if Friday, October 9th. Where's the best place to be - South Street? I have heard that nightlife has really picked up.

We're staying at the downtown Hyatt. Hard to believe there is only one hotel downtown!

Looking forward to visiting. I hope the weather holds up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 06:01 PM

11,342 posts, read 16,697,527 times
Check out the Dublin Pub.

Dublin Pub | Morristown, NJ

Old 10-02-2015, 08:23 PM

882 posts, read 1,670,210 times
OP, not sure how much you're expecting. Morristown is certainly not NYC, Philadelphia, or even Hoboken or downtown Jersey City. It does, however, possess a nightlife significantly greater than you'll find in your average suburban downtown. There are about 45 or so liquor licenses in town, so many places to grab a drink on a Friday night.

For the most club-like atmosphere, hit up Iron Bar. It has multiple levels, different types of music, and a huge crowd. Usually a long line. Sona13 next door has similar offerings, though a worse reputation. Less of a line though. Grasshopper also has a good crowd, can be clubby or just live music depending on the night. There's also Dark Horse, which I haven't been to personally, seems to have a bit seedier reputation though. These places tend to have a younger crowd and a lot of tightly packed dancing.

For more relaxed spots, you could start with Famished Frog, which has a slightly older crowd, but still a good bar atmosphere. Veronica's is a new establishment, I've been there for dinner but not for late night, seemed like a nice place though. Adjacent to the Hyatt there's a lounge (Quebe, I think?); they supposedly have excellent drinks. SM23 lounge is also there as part of the Asian restaurant group, good drinks but was pretty quiet the night I went there. These places will have an older, 30-something crowd for the most part, and be a bit more relaxed.

There's also a smattering of pubs and dives too. The aforementioned Dublin Pub is one, Tashimoo is a personal favorite, there's also Pete's, Tavern off the Green, and many others. There are also a number of sports bar and grill type places, like the Office or Urban Table.

You can finish up a late night with snacks; try Raul's for empanadas, Taco Truck for Tacos, or even good old Dunk n Donuts, all of which are open late on weekends.

Just don't pee on the Green, and have a great time!

Old 10-05-2015, 08:19 AM

13 posts, read 11,741 times
Thanks for the advice. I used to live near downtown in the early '80s. I hear it's changed quite a bit. I'm looking forward to checking it out. I live in Colorado now, and will be in Philadelphia and NYC later this week, and it will be fun to hang in Motown again. I have heard about the high fines for public peeing.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:33 PM

10,445 posts, read 6,974,789 times
Morristown is still an amazing night life and in my opinion better nightlife then Hoboken because you don't have the rift raft Hoboken sometimes has. Just to add into what NJ Highlands said on some additional bars:

Tashmoo - smaller bar, crowd is mostly 30s-40s but moderate level noise where you can still talk.

Dark Horse - just avoid this place, college students only go here. I'm sure the floor is covered in Coors Light and the tears of a 22 year old striking out for the night.

Hops - it's connected to the Frog, they have live music (crowd mostly 30s) and it's a great place to have some drinks with some friends

George & Martha's - This place is good, but can be hit or miss with a good crowd. (Mixed ages, but older crowd)

There's a lot more bars, but between both of us we covered the more popular oned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey